where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hello from Chicago

Birds and Bikes Brand New Egg Velocycle's Avatar
    Name
    "Crazy" Dave
    Thanks

Hello from Chicago

I'm a professional bicycle guru, and up and coming framebuilder from the windy city. I used to run my own shop, but that was a nightmare.

My two little goons are Tendie (Blue) and Dewie (Plain Green). Still trying to get them to really trust me. Dewie is very food motivated and was not hard to get into my hand. Tendie, not so much. Tendie is slightly younger that Dewie and Dewie always wins in a spat. It's been hard getting him to step up consistently. Partially because Dewie runs him off.

Lately I had both of them out of the cage and in hand and figured why not take them on a tour of the apartment? Because now they will not step up, and Tendie won't even let me touch him unless he needs help finding his way back to his cage.

Dewie on the otherhand, isn't afraid of my hands, He/She (still young) will gladly climb on my hand for food. Still, Dewie won't step up, and has gotten wise to the "touch your finger to their belly" thing. She just nibbles. In fact, sometimes she outright bites. I have mechanic hands and this doesn't bother me, but I'm not sure I'm exactly making the type of progress I want to, which is to get them comfortable with landing and perching on me.

My sisters raised budgies, and many moons ago I had a Linnie. This is my first experience trying to tame petshop birds, and in retrospect I should have just started with one.

Anyway, now I'm here and full of questions.

-Dave

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Hello from Chicago

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. I think all birds can be hand tamed and I think you are doing a great job with your little Tendie and Dewie. I know here it is always easy to do anything if you have a treat in your hands because all our birds just cannot resist a yummy treat. But most of the birds we have had here just cannot resist giving your finger a nice bite as they hop onto your finger. Maybe its a dominance thing???? I sure know Tikki and even Boomer use to think they are the KING of the house and they are in charge. Little feather butts can be such jerks when they dont want to do something

I have to say if you are getting them to hop onto your hands and fingers you already are doing great and soon your little "fids" (feathered kids) will be your little best friends.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Hi, Dave, and welcome to the community! Congrats on bringing Terndie and Dewie,into your home. Time and patience are always on your side, and for them being with you for a short time, I think they are doing great! All birds bite. Even those who we have had in our home for years will bite unexpectedly, on occasion. It is just a defense they are hatched with, from Mother Nature. And when it comes to being out of cage, they love that freedom, so much so, they may need some retraining in certain behaviors. It is always a good idea, to take them to a small room in your home, and let them fly in that limited space, rather than all over your home. Go on YouTube and search for training budgies and other parrots. There is great info there. Get some millet sprigs, at the pet shop. Use an unsharpened pencil for the dowl or perch to step up. Once the bird steps up, then let him or her eat millet off the top of the sprig, and let it eat as much millet as he or she would like. And all the while, praise the bird while he or she is eating the millet.

I suggest taking one bird at a time from the cage and take it to the small room to train it. Be sure all window blinds are closed, and there are no mirrors on the walls. Use a perch from the cage, or a wooden dowl, or an unsharpened pencil to teach them to step up. Get some millet sprigs from the petshop, and use one for training. Teach the bird to step up, by giving him or her the command....step up. Gently push the perch or pencil into the tummy area. The bird will step up. Then, allow the bird to eat millet off the top of the sprig. And praise him...good boy, and other positive words. Then, take him back to the cage, and bring the other bird into the small room for training. I suggest doing this training a couple times a day. It will take some time to train them, so don't expect them to be trained immediately. Training is a great tool for bonding with therm as well.

I would also suggest you get them a play gym, to use in the small room. You can move it from room to room after you have accomplished some training with them.

Having birds is really an evolving event. As time passes, they grow older and more mature. And birds are VERY intelligent. They have a unique ability to learn most any new thing!

I hope this info will be of help to you. Do not lose heart. They will soon be your best friends, and you would be lost without them! I have homed budgies and cockatiels for many years! I love them so much. I would be lost without them! Currently I have a 9 year old budgie, Muffin, who has been blind for two years. And talk about brave and courageous. He can navigate his cage, find his food and water, and play with his mirror girlfriends every day, and he still loves his swing. My cockatiel, Penny, is 2 1/2 years old. He is my drummer. I have taught him to beak rhythms with his beak on the cage floor, and or his food and water cup. He will beak a rhythm. I then beak the same rhythm bsck to him on a jar lid. Now he is so intelligent, that he knows if my rhythm is like the one he created. If it is, then he nods his head in approval, and does another rhythm. This exchange continues until I don't do exsctly what he did, and then he goes up to the top perch in his cage, and quits beaking!

So never lose heart with your new pals, and observe their intelligence, and enjoy your two special friends every day. My birds, over the years, have taught me many lessons of life. I think birds are the most intelligent and beautiful of all Nature's creatures!

We look forward to your updates. Good luck! I also live in Illinois. I am south west of Chicago, and have visited the Windy City, several times in my life.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-22-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh my gosh Ellen that is so cute that Penny does a beat rhythm with you. He sure is one smart little boy.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Thank you, Deanna. Well, from day one of getting Penny, he was very musically inclined, and I just casually started beaking a jar lid one day, and he started doing the same!! And my budgie, Muffin now sits on his swing, listens to every sound Penny makes, and repeats them! Being blind doesn't stop him from living a normal life at all! As you and I know, parrots are very intelligent. Your Boomer sure was, and now Tikki is as well!