Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Buy 2 budgies at the same time or separately?

Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

Buy 2 budgies at the same time or separately?

Hello! I have experience raising many budgies and cockatiels, but it's been nearly 30 years since I owned birds. Now my kids want a pet and I've decided on budgies. I'm planning to get two pet store budgies, hopefully same gender if I can figure it out. Should I get them both at the same time? Or would it be better to start with one and introduce another bird later? If so, how much later? Is it harder to tame two at once? I really can't remember.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

Re: Buy 2 budgies at the same time or separately?

Hi, and welcome to the community. I think it would work either way, but generally budgies in pet shops are quite young....about 12 weeks old, and at that age it is too early to know the sex of the bird, unless you have a DNA sex test done by an avian vet, or, after you purchase the bird, order a sexing kit on line, which consists of taking a few feathers from the bird, sending them back, and the company will send you the result. If you could find a good breeder in your area, they may do the DNA on birds before selling them. Then, you would know the sex before purchasing the bird or birds.

Personally, I like to have male budgies. They are very hardy, and get along well together. Females can lay eggs wiithout any male in the home at all. Egg laying is stressful for hens, and two hens often do not get along well together, especially when one or both are laying eggs.

And if you happen to get a pair, then there will be mating, eggs, and babies. Perhaps you would like that experience. Budgies usually do not mate until about 9-12 months of age, so you would have some time, after getting the birds, to do research on pairs, and breeding them.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-07-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday I visited a nice bird store with 3 month old hand tamed babies and the woman there said they don't gender test the little birds, only the larger ones. She answered my question about getting two at once and said it's better to get both together. Otherwise the first could get territorial. I didn't ask about training 2 vs 1 because their birds are already semi-trained. I found only one breeder near me but she is resting the hens for a while.

I think you're right - we should look for 2 males. I've bred budgies and cockatiels and think it's a great experience, but not the thing for us now. Thanks for the reminder that 2 females may not like each other and can lay eggs without a male. The bird store had a few males I could identify but the kids weren't really drawn to them. Color matters a lot to kids. At least they're old enough (11, 13, 16) to understand why it's not the most important thing.

You've helped me think through an action plan, which is to find 2 identifiable males that the kids connect with and get them both at once. Looks like our choices are the bird store and 2 pet stores. One will have new birdies out of quarantine this week.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

Your kids will love the budgies!! I think your plan of action is great! Let us know when you find the two males! We will watch for updates!!

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Some young budgies are tricky to sex but others are quite clear and obvious even from an early age. If you see white around the nares (the nostrils) it's a hen. If you see purple-pink covering the cere even around the nares, it's a boy. Some young males have ceres where the color lightens around the nares but if you look closely, it's not white.

This of course only applies to young budgies before their ceres change to their adult hues.

Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

I've been looking at online photos of those early differences and I do think I can tell on some of the birds I've seen. I took close pics of many of the birds in the stores yesterday to compare.

Also yesterday I spoke with an assistant manager who recommended buying them one at a time instead of together. She said to take a week or so taming the first one, then the second will be easier to tame. She didn't think the first would be territorial as they are still pretty young and it wouldn't be alone very long. Anyway we can't get them until the cage I ordered arrives.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

As long as the first budgie you take home won't be left alone for long periods, I see no problem with going that route. it certainly will make training/taming easier. It *will* mean quarantining the second one, necessitating a second cage etc. Regardless, you clearly are doing your homework and I'm sure you'll make a well-informed decision.

Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

I'm mostly home. Just yesterday I found a second cage that I can use for travel or for quarantine depending on needs.
    Last edited by Trailmix; 07-10-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Perfect. Sounds like you're set. Good luck and keep us posted if you can.