Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Dangerous mixing hot water with vinegar?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Dangerous mixing hot water with vinegar?

Hi all, I need advice. I cleaned my bird's cage with a mix of white vinegar and hot water but I remembered that hot water shouldn't mix with vinegar because it can release a toxic gas (I think)? I normally use warm or cool water but I forgot. If I rinse the cage with plain water and air out for a few days will it be safe?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Dangerous mixing hot water with vinegar?

Also wanted to mention that I didn't clean the entire cage, I only wiped some areas like the water and food bowl area but I stopped because I noticed the vinegar smelled odd and stronger than usual. I rinsed it right away but it still has a slight vinegar smell.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,310 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the community. I have never heard about vinegar releasing toxic gas. I think your rinsing it well should be sufficient. I take a very small amount of white vinegar and put in my two birds water cups every morning, when I take the cups out of cage to clean them. And I then rinse both plastic cups in hot water to kill any germs. I have done this for many years, and have never had any sick birds. So, I think your birds will be fine. Just be sure you have rinsed and rinsed the cups so no vinegar is left in them.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure but I believe it's the vinegar itself that shouldn't be heated or boiled because it will release a toxic gas. So I didn't actually heat it but I thought mixing it with hot water can still do that. Oh and I didn't mean I cleaned the food bowls, just the bars of the cage where the water and food bowls are near. I clean their bowls with dish soap. Do you think dish soap is okay to clean the cage? I wiped down the cage again with vinegar and warm water then rinsed but it still seems dirty and some spots have become slimy. I think I need a stronger cleaner but I don't know any safe ones except for vinegar.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I never heard of vinegar being toxic when heated either. I use vinegar to clean everything here and I do not even own a bird anymore because if it hurts a bird to use other cleaners then those same cleaners might be slowly hurting us humans too. As far as your cage having a slimy feeling if it were me I would take the cage out and give it a good cleaning with a scrub brush using Dawn dish soap and hot water. It will get it squeaky clean. If you cant take it out then use your bathtub/shower if possible.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Do a google search.....safe cleaning supplies for a bird cage. I found several suggestions. One of them, I have read often here on the forum. It is grapefruit seed extract GSE). Also, baking soda, and the warm water and white vinegar were mentioned. And some say an electric hand steamer will get the cage bars and whole caste super clean.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you for the answers. I will use a better scrub brush and add a bit of dish soap. I have a steamer that I will try as well.
    I'm a real worrier especially with this cage because it's for my tiel that is getting better after three weeks of antibiotics. I may post a new thread about her because I don't know what to do, the vet said she might be eggbound but she still hasn't laid the egg. She is getting better at least, not fluffed up and sleeping all day and now she's ready to go back in her cage but it has to be cleaned very well first!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! I am so sorry your hen was sick, but I admire you for getting her to the vet for meds. When did he or she tell you she might be eggbound? Would this be her first time laying eggs? Usually egg binding happens almost immediately after the hen tries to lay the egg. Watch her carefully, now, and when you put her back in the cage. A hen will set on the cage floor, to lay the egg, if there is no nest box. And you will see her straining to try to push the egg out, but it will not come out. Gerntly raise her off the cage floor, if she will let you, and under her little bum, feel her bum, to see if you can feel the egg. If so, then you need to get her back to the vet and let him or her examine your hen. The egg can break inside if the hen cannot push it out. Then, she can die from infection. The vet would need to get the egg out, and would give her more meds for that infection.

Give her plenty of cuttlebone, and if vet did not limit her diet, feed her fresh kale and leaf lettuce, and any fresh veggies or fruits she will eat, along with her regular seeds and or pellets, every day, to help to keep her calcium levels high. Egg laying is very stressful for hens and if they lack calcium, the egg shell is not hard enough, and the hen cannot push the egg out.

Do a google search.....egg binding in cockatiel hens, That will help you to better understand the problem.

We will watch for updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-25-2020 at 02:38 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Sorry for the late reply! She seen the vet last month, around the 19th or 20th. She has had eggs before, she use to lay about two or three at a time. I will post a new thread with more details. I need to save more money before I can take her back to vet, I hope she doesn't get an infection! Thank you for the advice on calcium, she has cuttlebone and enjoys green leafy veg