Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Tiel might be egg bound

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Tiel might be egg bound

My tiel (well, technically my mom's tiel) was seen by the vet last month and the vet said he felt a lump in her chest and said she could be egg bound. He wanted to do x-rays but unfortunately my mom couldn't afford it. The vet gave calcium plus other vitamin injections and prescribed antibiotics and she has improved (she was very ill when she went to vet) but I'm afraid she still might be egg bound. It's not as bad as before but she still sits a bit hunched over and she strains when she poos sometimes. Her vent looks normal although once it looked like there was a bulge there but it disappeared. I wish I could have helped her that day, she could have finally passed the egg!

How can I help her and how to do it safely? I read that an egg could crack inside of her and I don't want to risk that. It's difficult examining her because she isn't hand tamed. I also read that egg binding symptoms can be similar to egg yolk peritonitis so it's possible she could have that instead?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Tiel might be egg bound

Some more background information: she is about four years old and has laid eggs before. She use to lay about two or three eggs at a time here and there. I can't remember the exact time she last laid an egg but it's been several months, I think. She use to share a cage with a male but her eggs were not fertile. Her name is Ethel and his is Fred, like from the old sitcom I Love Lucy but they had to be seperated because she was bullying him too much. She still laid eggs when she was alone but it was not as often. There are no nesting materials in her cage but would that help her or would it make her worse?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,304 Posts

I love their names! I used to be a huge fan of I Love Lucy. I suggest you go to a website called Avian Avenue. Sign up there, and post your information as you did here. You can also look for this website, Tailfeathers Bird Community on Facebook, and I think there are other bird forums on Facebook and on line as well.

This particular forum does not have many posters anymore, because most of the members are doing the Facebook forum. I do not do Facebook, so I am always on this forum instead.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

It's too bad this forum isn't as active anymore. I like another tiel forum too but it's more inactive than this one. I don't do facebook either so i will check out Avian Avenue.

Ethel seemed fine today but i am very worried for my other tiel (we have three tiels) his name is Dino and his wing seemed to be causing him pain today. It looks like he might have some broken wing feathers. He's molting but his other wing still looks normal. Sometimes when he gets startled or excited he accidently hits that wing against the cage so that could be the cause I'm going to call his vet tomorrow and see if he can be seen. I just hope i can afford whatever treatment he needs and i really hope his wing doesn't get worse when i have to towel him to put in carrier cage

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

How old is Dino? If he is up in years, he could be getting a little arthritis in his wing bones. A good supplement for that would be a small amount of pure organic honey, given to him on a baby spoon, or put some on a small piece of wheat bread.

I do admire you for taking your birds to s vet, when needed. If you cover Dino's cage with a light weight sheet or throw when you take him to the vet, and while riding in the car, that may keep him calm.

With molting, their skin gets very dry, and so do feathers. Try taking a spritz bottle, fill with luke warm water, and spritz Dino. Some folks put a few drops of organic pure aloe in the water. Aloe Veda softens their skin. And it also soothes the skin and feathers.it should have no other ingredients, other than the aloe vera.

Right now, my two birds, Muffin, the male budgie, 9 years old, and Penny the male cockatiel, 2 1/2 years old are also molting. They spend a great part of their day picking feathers off their bodies. Molting is very stressful for all birds.

I am happy for you that Ethel is doing better today.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-29-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

He is about four years old. He and Ethel are siblings. The third tiel, Fred, is an older bird and shows some signs of arthritis. He needs a proper vet check up too. My mom made an appointment for Dino. It's on sunday in the afternoon. I am so disappointed though because the vet he's seen before no longer sees birds! I am so surprised. He is a real certified avian vet and the city even brings in injured wild birds for him to see. He was a great bird vet. I wanted Fred and Ethel to see him too but never had the chance as he was usually booked up. Another disappointment is that now that Dino is seeing a new vet, there is going to be the first exam fee on top of the costs for any treatment he might need so it's gonna be more expensive than i thought.

Ya know, my mom really wanted a cockatiel and at the time I said I didn't think she should because she wouldn't be able to afford it. She really thought the only main expense would be bird seeds and said seeds are cheap. She knows how untrue that is now

I think eventually we will have to sell all of the birds. Besides the money issues, she is very absent minded and I've had to care for the birds more. I don't mind but I can't keep them either as I can't afford the important things they need. I've grown quite fond of them, though. Dino mimics my whistling and he tries to say "good morning". And I've been trying to hand tame all of them and get them to step up. So far only Dino has learned to step up sometimes.

Yeah, I can see how stressed they are with the molting. I spritz all of them with warm water about every other day. Sometimes they enjoy it, other times they seem annoyed and give me the evil eye i haven't used aloe vera for them before but I have an aloe vera plant so I might give it a try!
    Last edited by caligo; 07-31-2020 at 03:23 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, the plant is fine! Take a very tiny amount of the aloe Veda juice from the plant and mix it in the warm water.

I think birds are an ideal pet. Until 10 or so years ago Avian vets did not charge huge prices to see injured or sick birds. Like people, and other pets, birds will get sick on occasion, or get injured. It happens to most bird owners on occasion. Sometimes the hot or cold weather causes them to get infections of the respiratory or a bacterial infection. In the winter, the heat is dry, and that can cause either of these. And in the summer, sir conditioner drafts can also cause either of these illnesses.

It is disappointing that the vets charge such high prices now. When we get our birds, they steal our hearts and we love them so much, and I think vets should take that into consideration when we need them.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-31-2020 at 12:21 PM.