Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hello

Hybrid View

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hello

I am an aged Canarybird and have not used a forum before so I am not quite sure how to go about it. I will learn as I go along so please bear with me. For many years I have kept canaries who are much loved and recently was asked to rehome Budgie called Freddie who I fell for hook, line and sinker. I will need your expertise with Freddie as I want to make his life as happy as possible as I don't think he has had the best start in life. I don't know much about budgies so I will be asking for your tips on keeping budgies and also canaries as tfhere is also something new to learn. Hope I have done thid right.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Re: Hello

You did fine. And welcome to you, your canaries and your new budgie.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you so much. It is nice to know I can ask for advice and tips. I am gradually going to change Freddie's diet over to pellets as I have been told they are so much better for him than just seeds. Any tips would be most welcome. What are the best fruit and vegetables Freddie as a treat? He is very timid and not used to toys but he beginning to play with his toys a bit now.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

This may be one of the most debated points of bird ownership--seeds vs. pellets--and you'll hear passionate arguments on both sides. Most avian vets these days are indeed encouraging the switch to pellets. I made the switch years ago to Harrisons, which is 100% organic, and I am delighted with the results.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you. I have ordered Harrisons High Potency Super Fine Pellets for Freddie. I gather I should feed Freddie this for six months and then change over to the Adult version. I also understand the change over must be done gradually. The delivery is due on Tuesday so wish me luck that Freddie takes to his new diet. If not, I am looking at Puur budgie seed as an alternative as it is the only other organic seed here in the UK as far as I can see. As you have probably gathered I am a fossil from the Stone Age and this is my first venture into social media. I am not sure of the protocol and phrases such as Sticky. I have no-one to ask so any tips you can give me would be much appreciated so I can learn as I go along.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

BTW, the canary expert on this forum, whom Ellen referenced, is also a Harrisons fan. The Harrisons website has lots of good info about making the transition. In addition to their suggestions, i found that putting a mirror over the food cup is a trick that often works. They see that 'other budgie' at their food cup and get competitive with it.

I too use superfine. My buds seem to prefer it. It's seed-size.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you. The Harrisons arrived early this morning so I will start Freddie on his new regime straightaway. Thank you for the tip about the mirror. The one thing Freddie is into is a mirror.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I fed Freddie some of the Harrisons pellets mixed in with his regular food yesterday morning and to my amazement he picked out the pellets and ate them all up. So this morning I placed the pellets to the side of his feeding dish to see what would happen and he went straight for the pellets again. So hopefully my fussy eater now has something he really enjoys which is doing him good.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Well done, Freddie!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi Gimaal. True to form Freddie has gone off of his pellets. I am pulverising the pellets and and mixing it in with his seeds to try and trick him. I see Harrisons do a High Potency Mash. Would this be a better option for Freddie? I would welcome your advice.