Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freddie

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Freddie

Thank you. I know Freddie is playing me to get what he wants. I am measuring his food but as he has never been a big eater it is hard to gauge whether he is eating enough. I wil try and get a feeder with a mirror and see what that does.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Freddie is still being difficult. A

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Dear Gimaal. As you can probably see I am having difficulty with my tablet, hence the unfinished threads. I do apologise. Freddie is still being difficult. A feeding tray with mirror should arrive on Tuesday. The company I get the Harrisons pellets from said just feed him pellets and not to worry if he doesn't eat anything at all as he can go without food for about a week. Surely that is not right. I am not doing that. I will feed him seeds late in the day if he hasn't eaten anything. They also said only to feed him 4 grams a day. Freddie is a long budgie and I am sure he needs more than that a day. Please advise on what amount he needs per day. I am also thinking of getting Freddie a budgie companion. I have a spare cage. Do you think this would help Freddie as I want him to be as happy as he can be.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Dear Gimaal. Sort to pester you yet again. I have been told that there will ve a fewbaby badgies available in a few weeks from a reliable breeder so through a fruend I have reserved one. I think it will be good for Freddie to have a companion so he can have a budgie conversation with a friend. My love for my birds is infinite, I love them all. As I said I have a spare cage which is suitable. Should I do a gradual change over to pellets for the new baby ir jump straight in with a pellet diet? What would you recommend? I am quite

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Dear Gimaal. Sorry to pester you yet again. I have been told that there will be a few baby budgies available in a few weeks from a reliable breeder so through a friend I have reserved one. I think it will be good for Freddie to have a companion so he can have a budgie conversation with a friend. My love for my birds is infinite I love them all. As I have said I have a spare cage which is suitable. Should I do a gradual change over to pellets for the new baby or jump straight in with a pellet diet? What would you recommend? I am quite excited but don't want to start off doing the wrong thing. As you have probably gathered my tablet is playing up again, many apologies. Lyn

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

I think a second budgie is a fine idea as long as you quarantine the new one. I'd continue to feed whatever the breeder is using for the initial period and then you can begin the transition.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you, I will definitely quarantine the new one. I love poor old Freddie so much and hope he will take to the pellets when I start the new bird on it. For now I think he had better go back to his seed diet and build him up a bit. He just will not go anywhere near the pellets for now. I want him to be happy as well as healthy.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi Maxollie and Gimaal. After Freddie tried continually to starve himself refusing to eat anything with Pellets in the mixture, he is now on an all seeds diet with a little fruit/vegetables. I am giving him Hagens Staple budgie seed which he taken to enthusiastically and he has a little Xtravital. I am trying to get him off the Xtravital as it contains a lot of sugary things and honey. Is the Hagen staple budgie seed nutritious or can you suggest a more nutritious mix? I have reserved a new baby budgie as a companion for Freddie but will keep them separate for the time being. I am reluctant to go down the pellet path again as Freddie is finally happy with his seed diet. I think I will stick with Hagen Staple budgie seed as it seems to suit His Majesty's palate. Kind regards Lyn

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Everyone has preferences for budgie diets. Being an older person, for many years, we always fed our budgies a seed diet only. Back in the day we purchased a box of canary seeds which had no other ingredients, and a cuttlebone. I was 11 years old when I got my first budgie. I named him Mickey. We were best friends. He lived for 8 years having on!y seeds for his diet. We were never told to feed fresh veggies or fruits. There were no pellets. They had not been created for bird foods back then. Pellets became popular about 15 years or so ago. I decided to continue on with the seed diet and some fresh veggies and do not feed pellets. For me, seeds are from nature, whereas pellets are man made. Also, pellets require lots of water, and budgies really do not drink alot of water. My Muffin, the budgie will be 10 years old in October. He never has eaten pellets.

I am happy you spoke about sugar. Budgies should not have sugary foods. They can easily get diabetes. Muffin went blind about two years ago. He had eaten a good seed mix since I got him, was thriving, healthy and happy. I did not feed him fruits. Still do not feed them. There was an ingredient called maltrodextrose added to his seed mix, unbeknownst to me, and when he began having symptoms of diabetes, I checked the ingredients in the box, and there was that ingredient. It is a sugar alcohol and a preservative. You will often see it in human foods as well. Slowly, Muffin lost his sight. I read all about the disease of diabetes in birds. I immediately changed seed brands. He then no longer drank excessive water, or shook all over after he had eaten. It was like he was having a seizure. That was because of sugar Today, my Muffin is brave and courageous. His blindness does not stop him from having a happy life. I read to always leave all toys, mirrors and perches exactly where they were before he lost his sight. That has worked perfectly. He plays with his mirror girlfriends, eats his seeds, and drinks normal amounts of water. I do notice he drinks more water now than a normal budgie would, but not in excess, and he no longer gets the shakes after he eats his seeds. He is in a separate cage next to my cockatiel, who also has his own cage. Penny and Muffin are best friends.

I wanted to share this story so that folks can decide for themselves whether to feed pellets, but as well, know there are some red flags that can arise, in some birds, who eat pellets. Not all birds. Some folks swear pellets are the best.

I admire you for mentioning your concern about sugar. You are sport on. Try finding a seed mix that is basically seeds with no extra fillers. Then, feed fresh green veggies, but not broccoli or the cabbage family veggies, and get as bottle of bird vitamins and about every 10 days or so, put a very few drops of the vitamins mixed in with the seed mix you feed. You can also feed some small pieces of whole wheat bread, and some fresh leaf lettuce, and cilantro. The main goal is to not feed any fresh foods in excess. And always provide clean seed and water very single day.

And congrats on planning to bring home a budgie friend for him. We will watch for updates. Both of you are doing great!!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-09-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you Maxollie. I am feeding Freddie Hagen's Staple Budgie seed which does not list maltrodextrose in its ingredients. The ingredients listed are red millet, canary grass seed, oat groats, orange oil, manganese oxide, calcium carbonate, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate copper, sulphate sodium selenite and calcium iodate. Does that sound all right to you? Hagen is a Canadian company. Freddie seems to prefer it to his Beaphar Xtravital so I am gradually changing him over to the Hagen seed mixture. I am go
    I should get my new budgie soon. A friend bringing him/her. How do you tell if it is a boy? I read a baby boy would have a pink nose, a baby girl a white/blue nose. I am tempted to get two baby budgies. My fruend says he tells me he thinks thecgirls bit hstder snd is how he tells,

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Sorry about earlier mangled message. Put it down to bad workmanship. Tablet is ancient as am I.
    Thank you Maxollie. I am feeding Freddie Hagen's Staple Budgie seed. The ingredients listed are red millet, canary grass seed, oat groats, orange oil, manganese oxide, calcium carbonate copper, sulphate sodium selenite and calcium iodate. Does that sound all right to you? Hagen is a Canadian company. Freddie seems to prefer this to his Beaphar Xtravital so I am gradually changing him over to the Hagen seed mixture. I am not using pellets anymore.
    I should get my new budgie soon. A friend is bringing him/ her over. How do you tell if it is a baby boy or a baby girl? I read a baby boy would have a pink nose and a baby girl a white/blue nose. My friend says he tells by how hard they bite, the girls tend to bite harder.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

That seed mix is great!! I have used seed mixes with orange oil in them for my budgies over the years as well. I am happy he is liking that seed mix.

Before you get the new baby budgie, do a Google search as follows. How to determine the sex of a baby budgie. Also, do a search for... Mutations of budgies. Years ago there were pretty standard colors of budgies. Blues and greens. Over the years breeders have experimented and come up with some beautiful colors. But as a result, in some of those mutations it is much harder to tell the boys from the girls. The standard is the cere which is the spot above the beak will be blue or bluish color for a boy, and ivory color or tan color for a girl. But all of the new mutations over the past 20 or so years do not follow that standard. So when a person goes to the pet shop, to get one, often times these days the birds are the newer mutations and it is almost impossible to know for sure. If the birds available are the standard blue or green, it would be much easier to tell the sex of the bird.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

The orange oil isn't for Freddie. It's for you. They put it on the seed to make it smell appealing to humans which, their market research tells them, might encourage you to buy it again.

On thing about fortified seed mixes: as with the orange oil, the various vitamins and supplements are sprayed on. So for any seed with hull, the additives never get attached to the part of the seed that the bird eats and most of it winds up in your trash bin. All by way of saying it is especially important to also get your budgies to eat vegetables and greens. Alternatively, given that Freddie did eat pellets once--which are complete nutritionally--perhaps he and his new friend can be coaxed into having them in addition to their seed mix. Many budgie fanciers make both available to their birds. Some put it in separate seed cups, some mix it together.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you Maxollie and Gimaal Avatar. Internet keeps going off so I apologise if this message gets mangled. Maxollie I am happy you approve of the seed mix. I will take on board Gimaal's suggestion re the pellets. I always feed both Freddie and canaries organic vegetables and occasionally a very minute portion of organic fruit. Indeed for myself I try to eat mainly organic food. Now I have found a seed mix Freddie really, really likes and he is so content I am reluctant to upset the applecart so to speak. I think he is so happy not only because he likes his new diet but also he has shown me who is the boss. He is savouring his victory! He loves 60's music and the radio station he likes best I could not get on my old radio but only through my tv. Freddie now has his own radio. He knows how to get round me. . Thank you all once again for your help.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi Maxollie and Gimaal. Sparky and Timido arrived this