Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Baby Cobalt Update and Greens Question

Hybrid View

Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

Baby Cobalt Update and Greens Question

Hi,

Cobalt has been home 2-1/2 weeks. We discovered that he LOVES romaine lettuce. He also eats beet greens and celery tops but lettuce is his favorite! How much should he eat? We've been leaving a piece in his cage daily until it wilts and he eats a lot of it. His poop got a little wetter. Do we need to limit the greens? I will expand his veggie options but don't want to change too many things at once. He has a seed/pellet mix, cuttlebone, and mealworm mineral block.

Currently he's on "vacation" in the basement and we're trying our best to keep him separated from fumes while my husband repairs our fridge that just went out. It's been a full day with no discernible health distress. Turns out he gets very happy watching video games! There's no TV upstairs because we got rid of it to make room for the cage.

He's gotten tame enough to eat millet and lettuce from our hands. The kids get so happy when he does it and today my daughter won the race for whose finger he would step on first! Pics attached. He started nibbling her hand after he pulled up the millet and dropped it.

He sleeps on his swing most nights but doesn't play with it during the day. As soon as the cage cover goes on, we hear him fly up to it. He likes Bach and Beethoven and the sound of my husband laughing and my son's Rubik's cubes. He's mildly molting and sometimes when a feather floats off it startles him and he cocks his head to watch it. Oh the joy of budgie antics and background noises!

Anyway, what do you think about the greens? Offer daily? What quantity is healthy? Is it possible to have too much?

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Re: Baby Cobalt Update and Greens Question

Romaine is a bit more nutritious than other lettuces but it's still very high water content, hence the wet poops. The beet greens are good. See if you can tempt him with other similarly nutritious veggies and pull back on the romaine a bit.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Awwww!! What a precious little budgie! Thanks for posting those cute pics! I love his cage too! One thing I must tell you, from the color of the cere, which is the spot above the beak, it looks very tan color in the picture. Usually tan or ivory colored ceres signal a female. Whereas lighter blue, blue,or dark blue signal a boy.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Awwww!! What a precious little budgie! Thanks for posting those cute pics! I love his cage too! One thing I must tell you, from the color of the cere, which is the spot above the beak, it looks very tan color in the picture. Usually tan or ivory colored ceres signal a female. Whereas lighter blue, blue,or dark blue signal a boy. Time will tell. You can have an Avian vet do a DNA test, or go on line, Google searching for DNA sex kit for baby budgies. The company sends you kit, and you pull a few feathers in certain areas of the body. Send back the feathers and the company will test them, and send you the result.

Cobalt is settling in very well! He has lots of attention from you and your kids! That is great! Budgies love people, and being the center of attention. Thanks for the update. We will watch for more!

Aaron has great advice and info when he posts. You can trust him completely.

PS..please excuse part of a double post. Not sure how that happened!

Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

Thanks! The cere is very pink/purple without any white or tan. The basement lighting is bad. A breeder's website said that pale blue/white baby ceres often turn brown, and pink/purple ones often turn blue..... we'll see!

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Yes, that's a young male's cere--purplish-pink. Though I had to enlarge the photo to see that it was not tan. And the website you cite is correct--purplish-pink turns blue on young males, while blue and white ceres (with the white concentrated around the nares) turns tan on young hens. No need to wait for this one; the jury's in-- male, and a handsome one.