Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help: Budgie Breeders in America? Store-Bought Budgie Health?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    All Tiel, No Shade
    Thanks

Help: Budgie Breeders in America? Store-Bought Budgie Health?

Hi! I'm interested in getting a budgie, but there currently aren't any to adopt near me. I also can't find a budgie breeder near me -- I can find almost everything except budgies for some reason. Does anyone know of a reputable place that hand-raises budgies in southeastern America (Louisiana, Missisippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida)? I don't want to ship one to me from somewhere due to how hot it is down here, so these are the states I'm willing to drive to.

Also, has anyone here gotten budgies from Petsmart, Petco, etc? How's their health? I fear they may have health issues if those chains are getting them from "mill" breeders.
    Last edited by all.tiel.no.shade; 08-25-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Re: Help: Budgie Breeders in America? Store-Bought Budgie Health?

Have you tried searching on www.hoobly.com, www.birdsnow.com and www.birdbreeders.com ? I just did a quick look and there are adoptions and sales for several of the states you mention.

A far as Petco and Petsmart are concerned, they both do indeed get their birds from mills, ironically, in your neck of the woods--Florida and Georgia--as well as Nevada. The mills are awful places and these birds do get a rough start to life, but there are success stories, several of which are on this forum. If you wind up going that route, do your homework about what to look for health-wise so you pick the budgie with the best chance of making it.
    Last edited by gimaal; 08-27-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    All Tiel, No Shade
    Thanks

Thanks, gimaal!

I got my cockatiel from a wonderful breeder in the DMV area, but we just moved to the South and it's surprisingly hard to find places in the surrounding states because apparently the internet "trend" hasn't caught up with a lot of businesses XD

There are lots of breeders listed on birdbreeders, but unforunately, none of them raise budgies. There's only one budgie listing on hoobly that isn't a day's trip into the tip of Florida: https://www.hoobly.com/p/e90Im

"BAA banded big show line English Budgies. No crosses with little parakeets, etc"

I'm seeing online that English budgies are larger (cockatiel size?), fluffier, and are generally calmer/quieter than regular budgies, but also have more health problems and shorter lives. Is this true? Would an English from a breeder have better quality of life than a regular from a chain store?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    All Tiel, No Shade
    Thanks

Ah, I found another budgie breeder:

https://rhondas-aviary.shoplightspee...or-sale/birds/ (am I correct thinking all their baby budgies are males based on the cere?)

I was trying to look in these states for local pet shops to see if any of them breed their own, and this one does. I'm not so sure about these two though, I'd have to call:

https://www.wetpetsdothan.com/birds.html

https://www.bbpetstop.com/

Just some info in case anyone else is looking for a budgie.

I assume budgie breeders are harder to find because they're already available at pet stores and advertised as a "starter parrot?" I genuinely just like budgies though and would rather have a cockatiel and a budgie than one of the larger parrots. My husband definitely would not be happy with anything louder than those anyway as much as he likes watching caique and conure videos with me and the cockatiel :P
    Last edited by all.tiel.no.shade; 08-25-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by all.tiel.no.shade View Post
    Thanks, gimaal

I'm seeing online that English budgies are larger (cockatiel size?), fluffier, and are generally calmer/quieter than regular budgies, but also have more health problems and shorter lives. Is this true? Would an English from a breeder have better quality of life than a regular from a chain store?
    English budgies are larger than standard ("American") parakeets but smaller than a tiel.

Yes, they tend to be calmer and quieter, and less long-lived though many make it to double digits.

Regarding your quality of life question, if you mean from hatching to the day you take it home, yes, an English budgie from a breeder will most likely have had a far better beginning of life. Bird mills are awful places and all chain store budgies come from mills. But many a chain store budgie has gone on to have a healthy long life with their new owners.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by all.tiel.no.shade View Post

I assume budgie breeders are harder to find because they're already available at pet stores and advertised as a "starter parrot?"
    i think you may be running into a regional issue. Here in the Northeast, and I know it's true on the West Coast as well, there are lots of ads for budgies--for sale and adoption. Also, many breeders of exhibition-quality birds do not advertise. The demand is great enough that they have waiting lists.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    All Tiel, No Shade
    Thanks

Thanks for all the info, gimaal!

I'm going to keep researching budgies and considering if now's a good time to make one part of the family