where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New tiel

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: New tiel

I do use rope perches, however, I do change them out regularly. I also get different diameters so that my tiel isn't sitting on the same dimensions constantly. Different diameters are used so the bird doesn't get a form of arthritis from sitting on the same diameter all the time. That information was provided by my vet. Rope perches have a tendency to look a bit raggedy sooner, that is why I switch them out about every three months. I usually put them towards the top of my bird cage than the middle or bottom, this way he doesn't deposit his droppings on the ropes. I use wood perches anywhere he eats. Wood perches are easier to clean.

Foraging toys are a great.. Please don't put a mirror in Max's cage. Mirror's are a no-no for cockatiels. As they mature, mirrors will make them hormonal and that is the last thing you need.. That is a whole new chapter in their lives.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I never planned giving him a mirror.
    By the way, no mattet what time i cover the cage he seems to wake up at 7 am. Will he get enough sleep?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

I put my birds to bed about 5 pm each evening. They usually wake up about 7 am. It may sound like many hours of sleep, but I have found they are much happier in the day, sleep calms down their hormones during the hormone months of Spring and Fall and they are not nearly as aggressive or loud as a result. This is my own choice. You may not want to or be able to put your tiel to bed that early. I think all birds have a natural sleep clock, even caged birds. When I think about outside birds most are up bright and early during spring, summer and fall seasons.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I would definitely let my baby rest for as long as he needs, but i don't have a spare room to put him in and i do spend some time in my room, watching movies or reading. My bed is in the other corner of the room. Won't it disturb his sleep if i do it?
    Yesterday i was watching something at 7 pm and he was sitting in his cage after i covered him up and grinding his beak for good 15 minutes.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

The beak grinding means he is very happy and content. If you could have the volume of your TV and or music turned down somewhat, and you place his cage across the room from you, until you get finished with your activities, and then place the cage back where he always sleeps at night that might work. I turn down the volume on my bedroom TV, and my birds sleep in their cages in my bedroom. So, try that and see if he will keep beak grinding and go to sleep anyway.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I don't actually Have a TV in my room. I watch movies on my laptop, beside my bed.
    His cage is in the corner near the window and is across the room from my bed.
    The light from my laptop doesn't shine on the cage. I will try doing it on my day off. Tomorrow i will be working, so i'll ask my parents to cover his cage earlier.

Thank you for all the advices.
    I try to keep my hand on his perch for a few minutes every morning now. He is sitting by his bowl now when i do it, just looking at it. I think it's progress, because a few days before he would frantically flap his wings when i did it.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It takes awhile for them to get used to their new surroundings and home. Each day he will become more trusting of you. The laptop should not bother him if the volume is not real loud. He is making great progress. Keep up the great bonding you are doing. The best approach is to be very gentle, not forceful, and talking in a kind and quiet voice and never yelling or raising your voice.

Another idea is to sit by his cage, talk softly to him, even read a kids book to him. Eat a snack while sitting by him. Sing some songs for him. Whistle tunes. Cockatiel love music. Tell him you love him. I totally know they feel our love for them!

On your laptop, go to YouTube and search for videos posted by.... cockatiel companion. Just search those two words. There are many there. My 2 year old male cockatiel, Penny, and 9 year old male budgie, Muffin, who is in his own cage, love these videos. They are videoed in a big aviary. I am retired, and they watch these videos most of the day on my Roku TV. But you could also let him watch on your laptop while you are sitting close to his cage.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-31-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you so much for the advice. I just looked up his birth month on my job and he is 6 months old now.
    I left a radio on for him today before i left for work. I sat by his cage for 20 minutes before leaving. My dad came back home at around 11 am for a short break and my mom came back at 5 pm. She said he is just eating a lot and chirping occasionally. He hasn't gone to his other perches yet, unless he got scared of something, but i feel it's normal. A client today said it takes two months for hers to get used to any new thing she introduces.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Max has been acting happy today. He grinded his beak and stood on one foot when i was talking to him trough the cage bars. I put on the radio for him while i am cleaning up in the kitchen and .... He is singing now, instead of his usual flock calls. It sounds beautiful.

He is still afraid of my hand and looks at it suspiciously when i put it in his cage though haha! Everything with time.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Wow!!! He is amazing! I think getting a tiel at 6 months of age is a great idea. Usually, most pet shops, and some breeders sell them at 12 weeks of age. I think the extra few weeks staying in the breeders aviary really is best for them. I have had both the 12 week age and the 6 month age come into my home from pets shops, and the 6 month age is super because they are more mature, and ready to do the things Max is doing now! Just staying in the aviary those extra weeks makes all the difference in the world.

Currently I have Penny, my two year old cockatiel male, and my 9 year old budgie, Muffin. Both are in separate cages. My Penny was purchased from a pet shop. He was 6 months old when I got him, and he has been so smart, happy, and cool like your Max, from the day I got him. I have had several tiels over the years, but their is just something special about Penny, that warms my heart!

Sending hugs to you and scritches to Max! You two are already best friends! Yaaaaay!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Our progress so far is that i can put my hand to the cage. He has been singing and chattering a lot today. He seems to love his own voice.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I am thinking about letting him out of the cage on saturday for a bit, even if he is not hand trained yet. I will be at home all day, so hopefully he will feel hungry and return to his cage on his own.

I wonder if that's okay. He seems bored in his cage, but he doesn't play with his toys, only nibbling on his perch and trying to lift his food cup out of the holder. He just nibbled on a paper tape hanging off of one of his toys. I worry he will get too bored.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Max is a real beauty and you have made a lot of progress. I would like to suggest that you keep your hand in a flat (downwards) direction opposed to the upwards. One thing with hands and birds is that hands are the enemy, especially fingers. It's a trust that you need to build with Max. You should try with your hand (palm down) and just place your hands in front of Max's feet and ask him to step up. There is a youtube on training cockatiels to do the "step up" command. Hand training takes time and it's not going to happen overnight. It's how you approach the bird and how Max is going to react. Continue to speak softly and move slowly when hand training. When I was hand training my tiel, one thing helped is that his wings were clipped. The breeder would not let me take him home without clipped wings. Some people are against it, me on the other hand, I am in favor it. If you chose to go that option, I suggest that you go to a reputable bird rescue or a vet and not a pet store. Usually, the person who clips the wings mainly trims the primary flight feathers. If they do get frightened, they will more less glide to the ground instead of falling.. They don't gain any height when trying to fly. Keep in mind, these birds will molt these feathers and grow back new flight feathers and gain their flight back. Some people may say it will handicap the bird, but in my years of keeping cockatiels, I never had that negative experience with having the wings trimmed on my tiels. It did make hand training easier for me. Remember, it depends on the owner of the bird.. Personally, my tiel is a crazy bird when he is full flighted. I do not know at times what or where he will land. He has flown from his bedroom (my home office) to the kitchen, basement, family room, living room, other bedrooms. I keep his wings trimmed intentionally so that he doesn't fly out the door, crash into a window, or even land in a boiling pot water. I mainly do it for my tiels safety and my piece of mind. There is a parrot rescue near my home where I take my tiel to get his grooming. When they do trim his wings, I also have them trim his nails. It usually cost me around $20.. I usually have my tiels wings nails done a couple of times a year.

Some birds may take longer time to adjust before they decide to navigate around the cage. If he is sitting on one foot, then he is content. Some birds will play with toys, some birds don't. My tiel was home for about 5 weeks before he started to venture around his cage. Like yours, he was six months old when we adopted him. One thing for sure, Max seems like a good eater. Give him more time. It seems to me that Max is adjusting well.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with Max's progress. You are doing well!
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I feel kinda terrible now. I had a 15 hour shift today (this happens only once every half a year or so, i usually work 12 hours two days in a row and then have two days off or sometimes three) and i left a radio on for Max when i left. I asked my dad and mom how he was doing. They said he was quiet and sitting by his bowl all the time.
    I think he was upset and bored.

Idk what i can do to help him besides that.
    As i said he isn't playing with any toys and isn't exploring his cage much yet.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stray_mind View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I feel kinda terrible now. I had a 15 hour shift today (this happens only once every half a year or so, i usually work 12 hours two days in a row and then have two days off or sometimes three) and i left a radio on for Max when i left. I asked my dad and mom how he was doing. They said he was quiet and sitting by his bowl all the time.
    I think he was upset and bored.

Idk what i can do to help him besides that.
    As i said he isn't playing with any toys and isn't exploring his cage much yet.
    Trust me, Max is not bored. Max is taking in his new surroundings. He is absorbing sounds of footsteps, doors, car sounds, alarm clocks, your voice and other voices in the household, etc.. One thing to do to help prevent birds from being bored is to change move the toys around the cage every two to three weeks and even swap them out.

Usually when cockatiels are upset, they are loud and squawk like they are yelling at you. Oh, you will know when Max is angry with you.

Keep in mind, some birds adjust faster than others.. You have time and patience on your side.. Give Max some time to get to know you and the rest of the household.

Tiels: