Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New tiel

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: New tiel

Ok, thanks for being patient with my anxious questions haha! I woke up earlier today to spend some time around him before i leave for work.

I will leave a small branch of millet spray for him in the cage. Who knows maybe he will be interested in trying it.

I'll stop bothering you for now :.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stray_mind View Post
    Ok, thanks for being patient with my anxious questions haha! I woke up earlier today to spend some time around him before i leave for work.

I will leave a small branch of millet spray for him in the cage. Who knows maybe he will be interested in trying it.

I'll stop bothering you for now :.
    It's good to ask questions and don't think your bothering anybody, your not. LOL!! Your very enthusiastic about Max as you should. You only want what is best for your feathered friend..
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

Here are some tips about out of cage flying. I would suggest only allowing him out of cage in your room only. Be sure there are no ceiling or other fans running. Close blinds and or curtains. Take down any mirrors on walls because birds fly into the mirrors, thinking it is a real live bird, even though it is him. Go to YouTube and search for handtaming a cockatiel. There are great videos there on training. I would begin with about 45 minutes of time out of cage. With all birds, if you allow them too much time out of cage, they will want to be out of cage all the time, and will never be happy otherwise. This will only serve to make your journey together more difficult and you do not want anything to get in the way of a good friendship with your bird. I think about an hour or so out of cage is a fair time period. You can judge for yourself.

Carolyn has vast experience with homing cockatiels, and you can always be rest assured she knows everything about them and their needs and behaviors. She is a master at cockatiel knowledge and care.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-05-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you. Max started using his rope perch and eating from his second bowl (i placed a different food there for variety). He still doesn't fancy veggies.

My Husky accidentally entered the room and i freaked out inside as he went up to the cage, thinking he will scare Max, but Max was at his bowl, paying him no mind at all and eating. I let my dog stay and observe for a couple of minutes before i took him out of the room. My smaller dog stays in my room a lot now and Max doesn't seem to mind her at all nor she pays attention to him.

I hid every potentially dangerous item and closed the curtains yesterday and opened the cage door for him. He stayed inside the cage, clearly not ready to leave yet. I guess he is happy inside his cage for now so i have nothing to worry about. I do hope he doesn't become cage bound so i will continue attempting to train him and trying to lure him outside.

Training is a bit difficult due to him not liking treats much.

He has been sleeping calmly at night for two weeks now. No night frights so far. I also placed my led star shaped decoration against the wall near his cage (but not too close) so he has some light if he wakes up at night.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

He is doing great. I am sure you will not allow your dogs in the room while Max is our of his cage. I am a bird owner that really does not like to have dogs or cats in the same room with birds even if the bird is in its cage. Either can knock over the cage, totally scare the bird, and if cage doors were to fly open when csge topples over, either of these animals can and will pounce on Max, grab him, and kill him. Dogs and cats are natural predators for birds.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Of course my dogs won't be allowed in the room while he is out and about and while he is in his cage they are allowed in Only under strict supervision.

Today is a happy day for me. I did a daily cleaning and changed his seed mix and held the bowl out to him in my hand. After 5 minutes he started eating with one foot on the bowl and in another 5 he perched on the bowl with both feet.

I feel accomplished haha.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yaaaaay!!!! That is awesome! I am so happy for you! Max is trusting you! Each day and week he will do something, or make whistles, or even try to speak or mimic words! You never know what it might be. I once had a tiel that made the sound of a phone ringing. They are very attuned to their surroundings. And hear things we would never think they would mimic.

We will watch for updates!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Here are some tips about out of cage flying. I would suggest only allowing him out of cage in your room only. Be sure there are no ceiling or other fans running. Close blinds and or curtains. Take down any mirrors on walls because birds fly into the mirrors, thinking it is a real live bird, even though it is him. Go to YouTube and search for handtaming a cockatiel. There are great videos there on training. I would begin with about 45 minutes of time out of cage. With all birds, if you allow them too much time out of cage, they will want to be out of cage all the time, and will never be happy otherwise. This will only serve to make your journey together more difficult and you do not want anything to get in the way of a good friendship with your bird. I think about an hour or so out of cage is a fair time period. You can judge for yourself.

Carolyn has vast experience with homing cockatiels, and you can always be rest assured she knows everything about them and their needs and behaviors. She is a master at cockatiel knowledge and care.
    Well thank you Ellen... Coming from the budgie extraordinaire.. 40+ years experience and always still learning something new about these wonderful birds. Your very knowledgeable too!!
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stray_mind View Post
    Of course my dogs won't be allowed in the room while he is out and about and while he is in his cage they are allowed in Only under strict supervision.

Today is a happy day for me. I did a daily cleaning and changed his seed mix and held the bowl out to him in my hand. After 5 minutes he started eating with one foot on the bowl and in another 5 he perched on the bowl with both feet.

I feel accomplished haha.
    You should feel accomplished.. Your doing a great job and Max is adjusting beautifully in his new home. I do agree about the other animals in the house, you need to keep them ALL supervised when they are together. My brother had a little yorkie-poo and she would just sit in front of my cockatiels cage and stare. It was hysterical when my bird would ask the dog "whatcha doin?"" The the dog would just make a little bit of noise, not much, but would sit in front of the bird cage and stare. Lucky for me, the dog did not make any attempt to try to go after the bird..

Tiels:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My husky was only very excited the first few times he saw Max. At first he tried to lick Max trough the bars, then was just sitting and staring and now he doesn't seem to care that much anymore. My small mutt doesn't even pay attention to the bird. She comes to my room to sleep and leaves when Max gets too loud haha.

I am glad Max himself feels surprisingly calm around the dogs but also i am a bit jealous because he isn't afraid of my dogs as much as he is afraid of me!
    That said today after i successfuly fed him i put my hand right in front of him a couple of times and he didn't move away, just looked at it. Only when i poked his wee finger when he lifted it off the perch did he move away, but only a little further.

I think now i can attempt to get him to step up.
    I love Max more and more every day. I can't wait till he can come out of the cage to play with me.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Go to youtube on search for hand taming cockatiels. I suggest to be in the room with just you and Max and keep the door closed. If Max does attempt to fly, Max will be limited instead of flying in uncharted waters (rest of the house). Place you index finger right above it's feet and just simply say "step up". It's going to take practice, but it's so worth it. If Max is going to try to bite, don't move your fingers. Don't let the beak intimidate you. Praise Max when he successfully steps up.

Do you have like a play stand or other perches that Max can sit on that is not attached to the cage? It would make things easier.

Keep up the great work.

Tiels:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

That's what i am trying to do with my finger. Although i don't know how to say step up in my native language that would sound simple enough.

I have ordered a handmade play stand and some natural branch perches for him and for now until they arrive i have a perch placed outside of his cage

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

No native language required.. Just tell Max to "Step Up".

Tiels:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Okay. It didn't work yet. He tried to bite me a couple of times, but it doesn't seem like he was mad at me. I will keep trying of course and maybe one day.

He escaped his cage about an hour and a half ago. It was super stressful for me too! He flew trough my shoulder, got terrified, flew a circle around the room, crashed into a wall a couple of times feet first, looking where to land. Then he landed on the floor and started flock calling. He stayed there for a few minutes.Then he flew to the curtain, stayed there for a bit, jumped over on my piano, nibbled on my spider plant and stayed there for a while. Then he flew again and landed on the perch on top of his cage. He stayed there and took a small nap, all floofed up. He didn't go anywhere for the rest of the hour, probably too scared. So i took a bowl with his seeds in my palm and held it out to him until he climbed on and started eating. I knew he'd do it, because he did it once before already. So while he was on his bowl i lowered it very slowly inside the cage while talking softly to him. I let him climb on his perch and closed the door. He preened a little, ate his seeds and now is picking at his shredding toy.

So that was his first flight.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

There are some plants that are not safe for cockatiels. Do the following google search.... Safe houseplants for cockatiels. This site is created by the book series Cockatiels for dummies. Also, there is a website called Cockatiel Cottage. It has vast info about most anything about cockatiels. They too have a list of approved plants. And while you are reading there, also search that site for foods you can feed them, and for foods you should never feed.

They can get injured if they fly into walls and mirrors, or windows, and doors. Or, fall behind furniture.

All birds bite, even those we have homed for years. Nature gave them strong beaks to protect them from predators in the wild. Once he is completely settled and trusting of you he should not bite often. But now and then and especially during hormone time he will bite. His hormones will kick in at about 10-12 months of age, when he moves into puberty. At that time he will molt all of his feathers, a little at a time, and will replace them with adult feathers!! Look mom.. I am all grown up now!!!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-11-2020 at 05:27 AM.