where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: New tiel

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: New tiel

LOL Carolyn, you had it right the first time, he is a little bug or as we say a little bugger bird.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hello, so it happened that a new cockatiel has been delivered to my work place and it escaped and was flying freely in the store room for hours until i managed to catch him when he landed on the budgie place. After that adventure i somehow fell in love and decided that this tiel will be my new flock member. It's a beautiful one (i think split, but has a lot of features of a Pied). 6 months old. I named him Fox already (for Dumbledor's phoenix haha), ordered him a large separate cage of his own and am bringing him home next week.

I will of course quarantine him to make sure he is healthy before getting him to contact with Max and will do everything i can to make him feel right at home and tame him. I have researched a lot on how to introduce a new bird to the old one and i will do everything step by step and take it slowly.

I am thinking i will keep them in separate cages to avoid fighting or being territorial and maybe if all goes well after a while i will get them a large flight cage so they could share the space, but also have their own if they feel like being separately for a while.

I know i considered getting a second bird for Max's sake earlier, but this time i am doing it solely for myself, because i just feel that i want Fox to live with me and i know i will love them both equally strongly.

Max and i are doing well. He eagerly comes to the edge of his perch and climbs on my shoulder if i sit by his cage, and he stays for long periods of time just preening and playing with my earrings or straps of my jumper while i read a book or watch TV. The bald patches on the sides of his beak i was worried about earlier got new feathers growing in and he is also growing new tail feathers on the sides of his tail. His molt is nearly complete now i think and he seems much more mature. Max is 10 months old now.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy you were able to get Fox and really happy you are taking him home with you. Max is going to like having another bird to chat with at home. I love the name Fox, very unique for a bird. I do hope they both get along so they can come out with each other to get some bird friend time together.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks. I am so excited. Max is sure chatty in the first half of the day and i am sure he will be happy to have someone other than me to answer him. Hoooo boy will it be fun to listen!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

He is going to be so excited to have another bird friend in the house to talk with and hopefully they get along so they can play together as well.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hope so.

Today he climbed on my head and started masturbating on my hair bun. He is really going trough that teenage phase huh. I don't know how to feel. I am not letting him on my head again. Yikes.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

LOL, welcome to the hormonal bird antics. They can be such horn dogs when they are feeling frisky. All the birds we taken care of or owned had their hormonal times and boy oh boy was it bad at times. Birds are relentless when they are feeling hormonal, boys and girls both do it. One good thing is it least he likes you enough to mate with your nice hair bun

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I put him back on the perch and distracted him with toys. He played with them for a good hour. He hasn't attempted to do it again even though i let him back on my shoulder later. I will try not to encourage him as i know it's bad for their mental health to be in this state.

Don't even know what might have caused it. I give him plenty of sleep, toys and never touch anywhere but his head and neck.

Maybe because i was blowing dander off his back and chest sometimes it triggered him?
    I watched a video where a bird owner said blowing air on one of their birds triggers hormonal behavior.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Birds will be birds! Nature rules the hormones::

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hahaha yep! I don't mind it. I just hope i can make him less hormonal for his own sake.
    By the way Fox is coming home tomorrow and he already sings some electronic music notes. I have no idea where he could have learned them haha!
    The other two tiels are bonded already and he is left out. They even pull on his tail feathers and bully him.

I feel bad for him. I hope he can be friends with Max.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Cockatiels can mimic many sounds. They love music. I had one that would make the sound of someone punching phone number into the phone. Right now, my male, Penny whistles if you're happy and you know it, the Mickey Mouse Song, and also can play drum sounds by tapping on the cage floor or on his food cup. In perfect rhythm.

They have a keen sense of sound.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yeah, they are incredible.

Fox has arrived this evening and he is terrified. I left him alone to get used to his environment and he will have some calm time alone for a whole day tomorrow as i leave for work. His cage is big, according to the sizing requirements, but i will probably replace it with a flight cage like Max's after my paycheck next month as it is much more sturdy and comfy. I will switch the dowel Perches with natural branch ones asap so he feels more comfy for now.

Hope he gets used to the surroundings soon. He seemed to calm down a bit when only me was in the room, but my Parents came in and he started panicking. I told them to leave him alone for now.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

WOW!!! A lot has happened in the couple of weeks... Congrats on bringing Fox home and l from what I am reading, you already have learned so much when you brought home Max. Hormones are apart of having any pet bird, not just cockatiels. I did chuckle that the bird was doing his thing in your hair bun.. Me and my hubby call it "master-birding"..

Your finding out quickly how smart birds can be, especially the males when it comes to sounds.. Don't be surprise if Fox and Max learn more.

Congrats on the new member of your avian family!!
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Well, the slow introduction didn't turn out as i wanted. Fox escaped his cage and moved onto and inside Max's. Max wasn't too happy at first, but now he doesn't seem to mind. They still aren't best friends, but they don't fight, except squabbling over food as they both picked the same bowl. But now they learned to eat in turns. I saw the other day Max asked Fox for head scratches, but Fox had none of it and (gently) pecked him on the head. Max was trying to impress Fox by showing off and doing heart wings at him, but Fox is still shy so he just watched with caution.

Fox is still adjusting it seems. He is not moving around much, except to get food. He accepts water from my hand, but is still very wary of me. That said, he doesn't fly off in panic anymore when i approach. I realize with Max there (Max has a Very bright personality at this point he is very active troughout the day and vocalized a lot) the process of befriending Fox will take more time.

Max most definitely still wants to be friends with me as well. He comes for scratches,enjoys sitting on my shoulder as he used to, sings and does heart wings at me. He is happy when i enter the room.

Fox isn't singing yet, but he is grinding is beak occasionally and started preening, so i think they're good signs.

I wonder if he feels intimidated by Max's flashy singing techniques and that's why he remains quiet haha. I hope together we can help him come out of his shell eventually. If he isn't a girl (though i hear girls rarely sing songs and i definitely heard Fox immitate a sort of Electronic music tune at work).

Oh and the cage they are in now (The one where Fox helped himself to) is a bit too small for the both of them, but i am getting another one like it next month and will join them together removing their inner walls and make it double the size. I hope they can feel more comfy then.

It's certainly interesting to watch them both and even though they don't interact too much, i feel like the presence of Fox makes Max happier. I see them sitting near each other sometimes and it just warms my heart. Especially when both start simultaneously grinding their beaks.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

You have your hands full with both Max and Fox. Just one thing to watch for is the heart shaped wings.. It's a sign of hormones, but crossing my fingers that Fox is a male too.

It sounds like you and Max have another friend in the room. You did mention a while back that you wanted to get Max a friend.. I think things will work out just fine for all of you.

Please keep us updated on your journey with both Max and Fox.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011