where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: New tiel

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: New tiel

Awww, Max and Fox have adjusted beautifully to their surroundings. You did a fantastic job. It's amazing how the personalities can differ but that's what makes them so unique. Tomorrow (04/28/21), Tango will be with us 9 years and it just seems like a couple of years ago we introduced him to his new life. The nine years has been an incredible journey for us and I see that you are going to have an amazing journey with Max and Fox.

Thanks for the update and we always look forward to reading about your beloved Max and Fox!
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hello, it's me. It's been a while. Me and my little flock of two have been doing fine for the most part, except one little problem: Max has turned agressive towards Fox as of yesterday.

Yesterday my mom called and said Fox is sitting on my book case, something he never did before and i was like "huh, so he decided to explore"..
    I came home and found them both in a cage for sleeping, everything was fine.

But this morning i uncovered their cage in the morning and let them out (They are out of the cage all day) and then Fox started chasing Fox off the cage. Fox had nothing to do but sit on the book case. Whenever he lands on the cage, Max chases him off agressively.

I am certain it's hormonal behavior, as i saw Max masturbating on a food bowl. He has plenty of toys to play with too. Thing is i don't know what to do besides reducing daylight which i already do and food intake.

Any other tips how to reduce the hormones? Should i just wait it out as Max is in his "teenage stage"? I worry Max won't even let Fox in the cage for sleep anymore. I am even considering a separate cage for Fox, but Right now can't afford it.

He is 1.5 years old now.

Thanks for any help.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stray_mind View Post
    Hello, it's me. It's been a while. Me and my little flock of two have been doing fine for the most part, except one little problem: Max has turned agressive towards Fox as of yesterday.

Yesterday my mom called and said Fox is sitting on my book case, something he never did before and i was like "huh, so he decided to explore"..
    I came home and found them both in a cage for sleeping, everything was fine.

But this morning i uncovered their cage in the morning and let them out (They are out of the cage all day) and then Fox started chasing Fox off the cage. Fox had nothing to do but sit on the book case. Whenever he lands on the cage, Max chases him off agressively.

I am certain it's hormonal behavior, as i saw Max masturbating on a food bowl. He has plenty of toys to play with too. Thing is i don't know what to do besides reducing daylight which i already do and food intake.

Any other tips how to reduce the hormones? Should i just wait it out as Max is in his "teenage stage"? I worry Max won't even let Fox in the cage for sleep anymore. I am even considering a separate cage for Fox, but Right now can't afford it.

He is 1.5 years old now.

Thanks for any help.
    Max has reached the puberty stage and yes, he will be aggressive. What I do with my tiel to reduce hormonal behavior, not only do I cover him earlier at night, I put his cage in a different room of the house. I believe you have other animals (dogs), would you happen to have a den or another bedroom to put your tiels in for at least two weeks? Sometimes changing the environment and moving toys around inside the cage will help reduce the hormone level, no guarantees, but it is worth a try. It has worked well with my male tiels.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Keep in mind, now that Max is getting older, his hormones, especially in males are going to be active in the fall and the spring. It will be an annual thing. My bird masturbates (I call it master-birding) all the time.. So don't be surprised if you see very runny droppings and yes, they can be very stinky too..

Tiels:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you for replying! Unfortunately i have no place to move him to. My dogs live with my parents in their room.

Max masturbates on his food bowl a few times a day.. i will try moving around his toys and maybe even perches and see if it helps.

I will also make him work harder for his food, make it less accessible. Maybe that'll distract him.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have removed the food bowls on which Max did the do and placed their food in a small attachable bowls on the bird stand on the table.

The agression has subsided in Max from then on and it also gives a bit of excercize and cue to move about the room as they fly from the cage to the table and back.

Max has started flying on my plant and picking at it though. (It's not toxic, i checked).

Good news is also that Fox has started accepting millet seeds from my hand recently. He is still very wary and moves away after taking the seed, but it's big progress. It took almost a whole year for him to warm up to me this much. I am pretty happy about it.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Yay Fox!!!! Thanks for sharing the good news and like I told you "patience and time is on your side". It's funny how these birds have their own personalities.

As a suggestion and I do this about every six weeks, I do move toys around the cage and times, I have even switched them out. It helps prevent boredom and it helps keeps the bird more alert. You can also try moving perches around.

I am happy to hear that Max's aggression has subsided, but remember, hormones in tiels are at least a couple of times a year.. Now that you have been through it, consider yourself a veteran and now you know what to expect.

You have been doing an amazing job with Max and Fox. Keep up the great work!!

Tiels:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks!

I fastened a new toy just outside the door of the cage this morning. It also does a function of a perch as it is a natural branch.
    Max loved it and even Fox who is not that much into toys seemed interested.

I'll post an update some time later on how we are doing.