Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New tiel

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

Re: New tiel

Tiels do love to beak and if you do a rhythm on a jar lid, he will learn it. My tiel, Penny is two and 1\2 years old. He is a master at rhythms. He sounds just like a human drummer! He beaks on the cage floor and his food cup. He is very intelligent. He beaks a rhythm and then waits for me to repeat it exactly as he did it. When I do repeat it, if it is like his exactly, he will do a different one. If I don't do it like he did, he quits playing and goes and sits on his perch. If I do it right, he creates another different rhythm. Sometimes we can get to 5-6 rhythms. It is a fun game for us!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hahaha so they train us humans as well.

He slept quietly all night and woke me up at around 7 am by banging his beek at the cage bars. He is like a little alarm clock, always starts moving about at around the same time every morning. I covered his cage at 7 pm yesterday and he stayed quiet at least all of the time i was awake, so i think he should have gotten at least 10 hours of sleep (if i count in all the times some random noises could have woken him up for a while).

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Tiels like to hammer and bang to different rhythms. Also they do it to show that they like what they are banging on. Sometimes it's almost like "Hey... Look at me"!! My tiel hammers in his food cup all the time, he is telling me that it's his and that he owns it!!

Tiles should get at least 10 - 12 hours sleep each day. It seems like you got Max's sleep schedule squared away. Don't worry about random noises so much, these birds get used to different sounds in the home very quickly and they learn to sleep right through them.

Keep up the great work! You and Max are doing well!
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stray_mind View Post
    Hahaha so they train us humans as well.

He slept quietly all night and woke me up at around 7 am by banging his beek at the cage bars. He is like a little alarm clock, always starts moving about at around the same time every morning. I covered his cage at 7 pm yesterday and he stayed quiet at least all of the time i was awake, so i think he should have gotten at least 10 hours of sleep (if i count in all the times some random noises could have woken him up for a while).
    Thanks. Today i tried to get him to step up for some millet. He climbed on my hand with both feet trying to reach the branch in my other hand, but then he realized, got scared and flew back to his perch. Haha.

Gonna keep trying anyway. He is a brave boy in general so he should be stepping up soon enough.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Max has finally stepped up a few times in a row when i asked him.

I also got him to step back down on the cage and on my hand again.

He has been doing so good.

He still doesn't feel like going exploring and stays on top of his cage. He seems to have taken a liking to a toy i put on his rope perch there. He plays with it for extended periods of time between preening and singing sessions.

He grinds his beek a lot and sits on one foot. I think i have a happy bird, even during his molt.
    His crest is full of newly growing pin feathers and there are some coming out of his cheeks.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

Yaaaay, Max!! He is settling nicely! That is awesome.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yeah. But these days i am working a lot and can't make much time for him.

I only come home when it's already dark and he is sleeping.
    I feel so terrible, i feel like i miss him so much too when i am at work. I do try to get up early and spend as long as i can with him in the morning, which is around one hour or a bit more, but still. I hope he won't get too depressed. I try to make sure he has some enriching activities when he is in his cage and leave the curtains open so he can look trough the window to see some pigeon action (some pigeons live on my roof and they sometimes land by my window). I also leave some soft and easy listening music for him, but i have no idea what else to do besides getting another tiel which i am not ready for yet..
    I just want him to be as happy as i can make him so if i have to, i will get a friend for him afterall...

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I mean it's not going to be forever, it's just that my manager messed up my schedule and i have to work more days now. I am going on vacation for two weeks soon so i will spend lots of time with him.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have read everywhere that if you can't spend at least half a day everyday with your bird you must get them a friend or rehome them so i am extremely anxious about it, because i only found out After i got Max and i do have only 3 or 4 days a week where i am home all or most of the day. The rest of the days i am at work. I don't want to have to part with him.

I am sorry for writing a few posts in a row by the way, i can't edit my post on the phone.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Calm Down!!! Don't believe everything you read, especially on the internet. My tiel gets about an hour and half of attention almost each day, not a half day. You are leaving a radio on for him and that will keep Max company. Also, change the toys around in the cage to prevent boredom. I switch them up about every couple of weeks. There were "MANY" days that my tiel did not get the attention due to taking tax classes and work schedules. It's called "life". You don't have to part with Max or get him a friend..
    Last edited by Pipers Mom; 10-02-2020 at 09:43 AM.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you so much for encouraging words.
    I Do switch the toys around and he Does play with his toys when i am gone. I caught him nibbling on one when i came back from walking my dogs (don't worry, they aren't allowed to interaxt with Max without my *very strict* supervision).

I am just really anxious since i want him to be happy. My parents say he isn't screaming or anything and screaming would mean he is bored, right?

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stray_mind View Post
    Thank you so much for encouraging words.
    I Do switch the toys around and he Does play with his toys when i am gone. I caught him nibbling on one when i came back from walking my dogs (don't worry, they aren't allowed to interaxt with Max without my *very strict* supervision).

I am just really anxious since i want him to be happy. My parents say he isn't screaming or anything and screaming would mean he is bored, right?
    When tiels usually squawk, screech, scream... sometimes it is due to separation anxiety or even an injury. Some tiels do get anxious and some tiels like solitude. From what you wrote, Max is settling in nicely. If he is nibbling on his toys and continually grinding his beak, Max is then content. Usually when my tiel goes through a molt, he is the most crankiest bird you would ever want to be around. Usually, I will talk to him, but there are times that he would prefer to have some solitude when he is molting.

Tiels and other parrots are known to pluck feathers if they are bored or lack attention. From what I have read in this thread, Max seems to get plenty of attention and it seems like there is enough activity in your home to keep Max from being bored.

These birds are amazing. They usually develop their "own" personalities and as you get to know Max each day, you will know when he wants attention, when he wants to be covered or just wanting to be alone.

Tiels:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I haven't really noticed that Max is more cranky than usual, maybe a bit calmer. My mom comes back from work usually at 5 pm and she says he is quiet and she often finds him sitting on his bowl (that's where he usually goes to sleep too), but when i get up in the morning, he stretches and excercizes his wings, gets a drink of fresh water after i change it, goes to eat and preens himself, also plays with his toys. I usually find that he has eaten a lot of his seed mix. I leave him a tiny bit of millet in a place where it is harder to reach so he would have to try harder hehe. But i found he has eaten those too.

When i spend time with him he is usually most active during the first half of the day and then he turns calmer until the sun sets.

I think he is fine. I am just anxious myself.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Max is fine. Something to think about, how about getting Max some foraging toys. You put food in them such as millet and it should keep Max buy while your at work or away from home. Tiels foraging for food is very natural. Mine also likes to shred / chew paper. Trust me, these birds do know how to keep themselves occupied if you have the right toys in the cage.

Tiels:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

That's a good idea! I actually have a foraging box, but i couldn't figure out what to put in there because the holes are quite large. I will put some millet in there and teach him to try to pick out the seeds tomorrow.