Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New tiel

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: New tiel

I have read those lists. I have been reading a lot about these birds since i got Max home.

I know he can hurt himself when he crashes into a wall. He shouldn't crash into a window since i keep my curtain closed when he is out. There aren't a lot of furniture to fall behind in my home as everything is close to the walls.

Walls and doors are basically my only concern, but i can't make them soft for him. I can only hope he will learn to navigate around the house safely although i know accidents can't always be avoided.

Yes, i have read about wing clipping,it's pros and cons too, a few different sources, but i am not comfortable with it just yet,nor have i found a reputable avian vet around yet, so i will see what happens and leave it as a last resort.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I am getting a bit concerned about max as he has lost a couple of his flight feathers in a span of two days.
    Yesterday i have changed his papers. Shortly ater i changed them, i noticed a feather on the bottom of his cage. I didn't find any more of them troughout the day. He preens and scratches often for long periods of time and there are large flakes on the bottom of his cage.

Today after i changed the paper he flapped his wings in the morning as he always does for an excercize. And i found Another feather. It's not broken off or anything. A full, healthy looking feather, except being slightly disheveled at the tip.

Is he starting to molt? He is 7 months old now. I haven't noticed him plucking his feathers.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

ETA: He eats and drinks normally, plays with his toys, sits on one foot and grinds his beak. He hasn't attempted to leave the cage a second time, but he likes when i leave the door open so he can see outside better.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stray_mind View Post
    I am getting a bit concerned about max as he has lost a couple of his flight feathers in a span of two days.
    Yesterday i have changed his papers. Shortly ater i changed them, i noticed a feather on the bottom of his cage. I didn't find any more of them troughout the day. He preens and scratches often for long periods of time and there are large flakes on the bottom of his cage.

Today after i changed the paper he flapped his wings in the morning as he always does for an excercize. And i found Another feather. It's not broken off or anything. A full, healthy looking feather, except being slightly disheveled at the tip.

Is he starting to molt? He is 7 months old now. I haven't noticed him plucking his feathers.
    Sounds like Max is starting to molt. The flakes at the bottom of the cage is dander. All normal!! Tiels usually preen their molting feathers away. Try spraying Max with warm water as the warm water feels good on the pin feathers coming in. Some birds like mine don't like to be sprayed, so he goes in the shower with my hubby. No Soap!! He get the water at a warm temperature and lets the bird get doused with water with the shower spray. Once he is good and wet, I am on standby with a towel to damp dry him. He usually preens himself dry. Keep in mind that Max may get a little on the crabby side. Usually birds that molt are cranky..
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you! I sprayed him today. He shook his head and rubbed it against his wing stretched little, but didn't move away. Yesterday he tried to bathe in his water bowl. Maybe i will leave him a bowl with shallow warm water to bathe in at the bottom of his cage.

He gets a little loud in the morning, but calms down eventually. Today he played with two of his toys that i hung in the cage and chewed a little on his rope perch.

I think he eats his harrison's fine pellets too. I got the all year round formula for him by mail and sprinkled some on top of his seeds. I didn't find any leftovers when i changed the seed mix in the morning. Still won't try any veggies yet, but seemed curious when i ate a carrot in front of him. When i started eating that carrot he actually went to eat his seeds too after watching me for a bit haha. I bought a food processor and will prepare blended veggies for him and see how it goes.

Should i give him something extra in his time of molting? I read they need proteins and vitamin A.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yep. He is molting. I am finding small fluffy feathers on the bottom of his cage when changing his papers. I tried spraying him with room temperature water today and instead of moving away or trying to lick the droplets off the cage bars as he did earlier he actually did the bathing dance hehe. I am glad he liked the shower.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Another small update: i bought some natural wooden perches for him and while i was placing them all over his cage (had to place them so there would still be enough space for him to flap his wings) he left the cage. He made a few laps around the room (no crashing into walls this time!) and perched on top of his cage. He stayed there for the rest of time. After a while i attempted to feed him his seed mix from my palm as i know he gets hungry often so i put some of it in my palm and held it near him as flat as possible and pressing my thumb to my palm as i read one should do. First few times he made angry noises and snapped at my hand a bit. Then i decided to switch to the other seed mix that he likes more. He actually started eating it from my palm! At first he carefully took one little seed, and then he took more and more, at the end even moved closer and his little foot touched my hand. ^^

Later he looked down at the cage entrance but seemed too afraid to get down inside, so i took his food bowl like i did earlier and this time i didn't have to wait long until he climbed on the bowl and i slowly put him back in.

I feel like i achieved something really big today.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,310 Posts

Yaaaay! Awesome progress!! He is doing great and so are you! Cingrats!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hello again. I have another question. Is it normal for a tiel to switch perches at night?

He's been at my place for more than three weeks now. I cover his cage for sleep at around the same time every evening and he wakes up at around the same time too. He has some light from my WiFi router and decorative led lights and i leave my sound system on which produces some white noise. He's been quiet every night, so i assume he sleeps okay. He hasn't had any night frights yet (hopefully he will not get any at all).

However tonight i had a bad time falling asleep myself and around 4 am i heard him climbing from his food bowl where he usually sleeps onto a perch next to it.

Is it normal or did something disturb him?
    Could it be he is irritated due to his molt and will have worse time sleeping because of it? He Really started dropping feathers now. I make sure to give him a light bath every day now and bought him a supplement to help trough his molt as he doesn't eat veggies or eggs.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

By the way, just wanted to share my joy about how great a flyer he is now. It's only been his 4th time outside today, but he has been navigating around the room just fine, no accidents anymore. He masterfully avoids the walls and the door and has a keen eye on landing. I wonder if it's because of the perch placement in his cage that i came up with. He now has to fly from one perch to the other instead of climbing the bars. He was a little clumsy a couple days before, but now not anymore.

He seems to like hanging around his cage the most though as that's where all the perches and his toys are. He eats from my hand with no reservations anymore, but still doesn't feel like stepping up hehe. He is great. I fall in love with him more every day.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,310 Posts

It is not unusual for birds to move around the cage at night. Like humans they may feel more comfortable in a different position.

Also, I would not want a wifi router close to his cage at night, or in the daytime. They emit radiation and that is very dangerous for birds and even humans who are close by a router every day. I would be sure to have a router as far away from him as possible, in your room.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Oh do not worry, it's a good distance away, it's just that it's lights are bright enough in the night that they give a dim lighting effect to a good portion of the room.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

You have made incredible progress. Yay!!!

Some birds do sleep on different perches at night. Sometimes mine will switch ends on me. One night he will be on his rope perch closer to the door, the next night, near the rear of the cage. It all depends on the bird. It wouldn't hurt to get a night light to put near Max's cage. I keep one by mine. It's good news that Max is a great flyer and also likes baths.

It sounds like Max is starting to trust you more, try teaching him to "step up".
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have hung some led lights by his cage, bright enough to give some light, but not bright enough to disturb him.

Yeah, he apparently likes millet now. I put a branch on top of his cage today where he was hanging around and he decided to try it and loved it! He ate the seeds and also played with the stem, nibling on it.

I will start training him using that. For now he steps up on his food bowl so i still have no problem getting him back into his cage. I let him hang out outside of his cage for a few hours a day now. He spends most of that time preening himself, playing with his toys and eating from my palm.

Fortunately he has picked his cage as his "safe space" and isn't flying somewhere high and out of reach. He has learned to make more sounds and is answering to the rhythm i tap on my laptop by banging his beak at the cage bars or his perch. When i walk away, he starts singing or making chirping noise while looking over at my side, but won't fly to me. He quiets down when i walk closer, but still will snap at me lightly and move away if i try to give him scritches. Silly birb haha.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Millet should be used as a "TREAT" and not as part of his regular diet. Millet would be a good tool for training. When Max "steps up", then give him a little bit of the ball from the millet spray in lieu of the whole branch. Max is young and you might want to keep his diet diversified as possible.

Tiels: