Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: New tiel

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: New tiel

A very small update. Max has Really started to molt now. The feathers are all over the cage.
    He has grown two brand new tail feathers. They are a very nice shade and so smooth!

Still won't eat veggies. He is afraid of bright colored ones. I tried to give him a tiny piece of a carrot and he ran away. Tried to mix some quinoa too with his seeds. He picked at it a few times, shook his head and walked away.
    He does like his seed mix (i read all the labels and picked one that had the largest variety of seeds in it, instead of only millet and sunflower seeds haha).

He likes his spray baths a lot.

He does sing to me and screeches for attention, but won't like when i actually give him attention haha.
    He steps up for millet, but doesn't stay on my hand after he eats it. Hates fingers and gently nips at it if i try to give him scritches. He has some keratin sheaths still on his crest feathers but won't let me remove them.

He still likes hanging around his cage the most and won't explore much but he is occasionally using the perched i placed there. He doesn't nap much during the day. Only once around lunch time. Is that bad?
    He attempted to preen my hair the other day though.

Last night he suddenly flew and grabbed the front cage bars with his feet. I turned on the light and he looked confused and scared. I uncovered his cage and gently talked to him until he climbed back on his perch. The rest of the night was calm. He probably had a night fright.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Max will molt a couple times a year. There will be times you will ask yourself if it will ever stop. My tiel is winding down his molt and he has been molting for about a month. Keep in mind, some molts are heavier than others. Max is young, this may be his first molt so he may get on the cranky side. I know Tango can be a real crank when he is molting.

Some birds take to veggies where others don't. My bird used to eat romaine lettuce and now he won't even touch it. I stopped feeding him the romaine when the recalls of the potential risk of E. coli in produce. After it was back on the shelf, I have tried giving it to my bird and till this very day, he will not touch it. You are doing the right thing by giving him the variety of seeds. A few sunflower seeds won't hurt Max, but sunflower seeds are very high in fat and millet should be used as a treat.

If Max is singing to you, that is very positive. Sometimes I personally thin that birds look at a game and once they have you drawn in, they ignore you. (silly birds). If Max is preening your hair, then Max likes you. Some birds don't like to be petted, my tiel will let me kiss his belly and once in awhile, he will let me scratch his neck, but it's on his terms.

When birds get tired, they will sleep. Don't worry about napping..

Max probably did have a night fright. I suggest that you keep a night light near his cage and that should help. Since I had Tango, he may have had about a half dozen and he is 9 years old.

Keep doing what your doing. Max seems to be adjusting just fine to his new environment.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I don't mind him molting. I have gathered quite a collection of beautiful wing and tail feathers already. He likes to play with them too. He thinks it's a very fun game. I give it to him, he chews on it, then drops it, i pick it up and give it to him again. When he sees me picking up the feather he eagerly comes to the edge of the cage to play.

My coworker adopted a lost tiel and she ate nothing but seeds as well, and she lived with that coworker for 18 years (and they never knew her actual age when she wandered in) so i have hope haha. I still hope he starts eating healthier one day.

I am trying to give lukewarm spray baths more often to help calm the itch.

There is a night light by his cage, but that night my mom covered it very poorly and i didn't bother to fix the cover due to being tired after work, so probably that was the reason something scared him.

I can't check if he is sleeping since he is a light sleeper and of course will have his eyes open if i approach the cage. I can only hope. I try to cover his cage at 7 pm every day or ask my mom to do it if i am at work. He starts banging on the cage bars with his beak when he is awake in the morning which is always around 7:30 am so i assume he is getting at least 10 hours of sleep, though i can't be sure. I hear birds are more agressive when they don't get enough sleep. But the fact he doesn't nap a lot during the day indicates he gets enough sleep i assume.

Max has learned to nip at my finger to show me he doesn't want it near him. He will Not bite hard, but sort of grab it with his beak and hold.

Having him around really brightens my day. I hope i can make him happy too.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Update:

It finally happened. Max is perching on my shoulder and grinding his beak.

I am very very happy.

He also eats pellets along with seeds now. I am giving him pellets (harrison's brand) one by one out of my hands as a treat and he happily accepts them. I am happy he is eating a healthier diet. Next mission will be veggies. He nibbled on some dried apple the other day too.

He is singing and chattering, raising his foot as if he would hold a tiny microphone. Adorable.

My one worry is that he started pecking at my sweater and pulling out the fabric as soon as he climbed on my shoulder. How do i stop him from doing it? I don't want him ingesting those fibers. I did try to draw his attention away with pellets from my hands. It seemed to work for now. He got interested by my silver earrings too and nibbled on those as well. I hope silver is not toxic or something.

Thanks for reading and all of your help until now. It helped me greatly!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Yay!!!

This is the reward you get when you work with your beloved Max. I told you that time and patience is on your side! I am so happy for you and that your hard work has paid off.

In regards to chewing fibers from your clothing while sitting on your shoulder, I wouldn't worry. It's new adventure for Max. I have a certain cape/towel that I use to wrap around my shoulders when my cockatiel Tango is perched on my shoulder and he chews it all the time and I never had any problems. Cockatiels are very intelligent and sometimes they chew on things just to chew/forage. That is part of their personalities.

If Max continues to chew on your clothing, especially a favorite sweater or other top, just simply tell Max the word "No" and say in a stern tone. Just like children, these birds do understand what the word "NO" means.

Also, you are doing a great job on his diet. When you do introduce Max to veggies, leave the veggies in the cage for no more than a couple of hours. One thing about cockatiels, sometimes they will take to it right away and there are some birds that will not have anything to with them.

Thanks for the update and again, I am very happy for you! You and Max are going to be the best of friends
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,310 Posts

I totally agree with Carolyn! She is a master at cockatiel life and behavior. Your time and patience with Max are totally paying off! Congrats! You are an awesome caregiver.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks so much both of you!

Regarding my clothing it's not that i am afraid he will ruin it, but i am worried that he might ingest those fibers. I read that for that reason cotton toys are not good, because birds chew on them and can ingest the fibers, making a clot in their digestive system.

Btw today Max accepted head scratches multiple times and came to ask for them (lowered his head), but not from my fingers. I had to use my nose! He gave "kisses" to my face and preened my hair.

What a cutie.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Btw adding a couple of pics to show him off.

Chewing on his favorite perch and being a handsome boy.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Max is a very handsome boy. He looks very happy and content. You should be very proud of yourself with the progress that you made with him.

Once again, these birds are very smart. I really wouldn't worry about Max ingesting fibers, cockatiels like to chew because that is what they do and fibers from clothing, strings, etc. happen to be one of them. Chewing and foraging are part of their traits. If he is letting you give him scritches with your nose, he has a lot of trust in you. You have a great friendship and bond building..

Tiels:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks.
    Today he ate some more dried apple, a piece of dried carrot and a couple of dried elderberries. He thinks they are treats, when i give them from my hand and eats them haha.

Now how do i get him to not be a perch potato though?
    He has picked that one perch as his favorite and sits there most of the time, preening, chewing on it and shredding his toy that hangs nearby. He doesn't use his wings often, he only flies a couple of laps around the room every once in a while.

I am thinking of getting him something like a jungle gym and placing it a bit further away from the cage so he would have to fly over there.

Of course he could be less active due to his molt...

What do you think? Should i just let him do his own thing until he is ready to explore more of the room?

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Getting a jungle gym for Max is a great idea. I have one for my bird too! See if you can find one with food / water cups and something you can add toys too.

Not surprised that Max has a favorite perch picked out. These birds feel more secure when they have that one perch or even a toy. It's like us having a favorite blanket or a favorite pair of slippers.

When Max is ready, he will be inquisitive and see what you are up to. Even during a molt, these birds will still fly around to see what you are up to. When I am on my computer, my bird flies from his cage and lands on my shoulder. Then he climbs down my arm, walks on my keyboard, pecks at it, pecks at the screen, poops, makes kissy sounds and just makes a mess, especially with dander and molting feathers.. This is what they do and this is why you get them. Trust me, I can do without the mess, but having my little guy in my life is so totally worth it.

One thing my bird does love is when I run the vacuum cleaner.. He sings while I am vacuuming, it's part of our daily routine. How is Max with the vacuum?

Max is settling in nicely. Keep doing what you are doing!!

Tiels:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you!

He just sings and screams at me for attention, but never flies over to me. He is a lazy perch potato or maybe just scared of flying i don't know.. Whenever he flies he starts screaming loudly. He only uses his wings as he flies outside of the cage (does a few laps around the room while calling loudly), when he needs to get from perch to perch within the cage and when he gets spooked or loses his grip.

Most of the day he sits on his favorite perch, preens, sings and watches me. I am giving him toothpicks to destroy (but only one by one. I tried to let him pull them out from the box and he got spooked haha) and some dried millet leaves. He likes shredding them.

I was thinking of getting him a jungle gym with the bowls. I will add some natural branches and toys there too as i saw they are mostly made of dowel perches.

He is fine with the vacuum cleaner although is not particularly pleased with it.

Totally random things scare him. I opened my closet door the other day and he freaked out.
    Lol.

Maybe i should stop coming to him when he starts screaming for attention and just let him come to me instead?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,310 Posts

Quite honestly I would not give those toothpicks to him. He could injure himself on the sharp end points, and also swallow tiny slivers of the wood. Those slivers could cause his esophagus or stomach to bleed, and cause him to die. I sure would not give them if it were me. I suggest giving him some millet sprigs instead. They are safe.

The gym is a great idea. Search the web for safe tree branches for cockatiels. Also, visit a website called cockatiel cottage. There is great info on most every subject there. Do you know if his wings were ever clipped? If they were not clipped properly, the flights could have either not grown back, or are jagged. And it may hurt his wing muscles to fly. A qualified wing technician at an Avian vet would need to look at them. That may be why he does not like to fly much.
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-11-2020 at 11:56 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

His wings were never clipped.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I think he is just scared of everything in the room still and he feels safest near his cage. He rather climbs around the bars. I have this ladder with movable beads and he enjoys climbing them. But he won't fly anywhere else. Think he is just not completely trusting in me to just come and hang out. Everything must be on his terms.