where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Combining parakeets

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ginny
    Thanks

Combining parakeets

I have 4 parakeets now. 2 in each cage. I donít know sex of all yet as they are young. I want them all in one big preview flight cage. Iím looking for any advice on setting up a cage for 4 and safely introducing them to the cage. They are next to each other in separate cages now so they can see and talk to each other.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Re: Combining parakeets

Hi, Ginny, and welcome to the community. First of all, you would need to have birds that are not siblings. Birds who are related to each other, if paired, i.e., male/female can and often do have special needs birds. Sometimes they die in the shell before hatching, or are deformed in some way, if the eggs hatch. Even sibling pairs mate. That is Nature's work in action.

If your four birds are not related, you can have them in a flight cage. But if it were me, I would want to know their sex first, before putting them together in the cage, because if you have pairs, in my view, there will be more aggression between males, who will of course be interested in mating. I had that problem years ago with what I thought were 5 males. When one of them turned out to be a female, the other four got into a fight one day over the female.

You can get sexing kits on line if you wish to, or, take the birds to an Avian Vet to do the test. However, with 4, that could be rather expensive. If they are under 7 or 8 months old, you could put them in the flight cage for awhile, and observe their behavior. If you do see aggression, you would need to take the aggressive bird or birds out of the flight cage, and put them back in the smaller cage. It is great you have those small cages for backup in case of behavior problems. And also, in the future, when they are ready to breed, which usually is at about 9-12 months of age, although I feel 1 1/2 years of age is the best time to breed, you could use a smaller cage, put a bonded pair in the cage with a nest box, and breed a pair that way. I do not think breeding a pair would work too well in a flight cage with other birds. A pair gets along much better in a smaller cage when hen is nesting on eggs.

Do you know how old they are? Post some pics of each of them. I will take a look at them and see if I could determine the sex of each one.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-29-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ginny
    Thanks

Thank you Ellen. I do not want to breed my parakeets, I just wanted smaller birds to take care of and watch. I have always had many much bigger long lived birds and still have a 31 yo blue front, a 31 year old mini mc caw and a 29 yo African grey. I retired and wanted some new birds and parakeets are cute and active and since I am getting older I didn’t want another bird that could out live me. I will try to post pictures although I am still getting used to this website. I know one in particular, Sweet Pea, is probably older and I’m pretty sure female. As for the other 3, no idea. My main goal is safe happy little birds. I have 2 large cages and 2 small and will do whatever to keep them safe but I would really like them together if possible. I will work on posting some good pics.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ginny
    Thanks

I posted 2 pictures. Sweet Pea & Belle (yellow). Then Kirby & Finn. I don’t know if you can tell anything from these pictures. I think Sweet Pea is older and a female as she is more aggressive toward Belle at times. I have read a lot about cere color and sex and the more I read the more confused I am. Everyone has a different take.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

There is a spot right above the beak we call a cere. Looking at your pictures if that spot on Sweet Pea is dark brown color, it is a girl, and right now she is in breeding condition. A girl generally has an ivory colored cere but when the female gets into hormones the cere turns crusty brown color, and will be wanting to mate. And lay eggs. Sometime pictures are hard to judge. If this cere is dark blue or bluish color, then Sweet Pea is a boy.

Kirby looks to be a boy because in the pic his cerle looks blue. And Fern has an ivory color which means girl. She is not into hormones yet because her cere is not crusty brown color. I could not see Belle's whole picture nor her or his face. I think all are about a year old. Sweet Pea may be a bit older. When budgies hatch, and get their feathers they have black bars on the top of their head. By the time they are about a year old, the bars disappear and the top of their heads are clear feathers.

After looking at them. I think it will be ok to put all of them at once in the flight cage, and watch them for any sign of agression. With Sweet Pea, being in breeding condition, the male or males will no doubt be chasing after her. And wanting to mate. And, they could get aggressive, and she too could be aggressive in their pursuit. Hormones usually last about a month or so. You might consider leaving Sweet Pea in her current cage, but I think she will be upset she cannot be in the cage with them. So perhaps it is best to just put all of them together in the bigger cage all at once, and see what happens.

I fully understand why you do not care to breed them. If a hen does lay an egg, then get some dummy eggs at the pet shop, and replace real eggs with the dummies. But do not put a nest box in the cage. Place any eggs on the cage bottom, in the corner and let the hen set on the eggs there. Quite honestly, if a hen does lay an egg, I would take the hen out of the flight cage and put her in the small cage and let her nest with her dummy eggs,(discard real eggs) on the cage floor, for about 18 to 20 days, or until she no longer has interest in them. I think this will keep her busy, and will not cause as much unrest between all four budgies in one cage.

You are one AWESOME bird caregiver to have caged birds live as long as your others. That is amazing!!!!! I have no doubt you will have a great friendship with these four budgies.

It is a small world! I live close to Peoria, Illinois. I am retired. I purchase my groceries on line from Walmart, and they are delivered to me from a store in Greenfield, Indiana or, Plainfield, Il.

Please update us anytime about your new precious budgies. Like you, I have had cockatiels and budgies in my home, most all my life! I would be lost without them! Good luck to you and I am sending scritches to all of your flock. My budgie, Muffin is nine years old. They can live up to 15 years or older. I think all caged birds who live for many years, do so, because they KNOW we love them! Love is an inspiration to all animals, and birds, included. Our love sustains their life for years, and makes our lives happy as well!
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-30-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ginny
    Thanks

I posted a new picture of Belle. She is yellow. She is in a cage with Sweet Pea because she was purchased with her. I am quite sure SP is a female as you said. Hopefully you can see Belle better in this picture. I was told these birds were 3 to 4 months old when I purchased them at Petco but I think the sales person was wrong. That would make them 5 to 6 months old now.