Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Bald spot. Should i be worried?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Bald spot. Should i be worried?

Hello,

so as you know, i have a new Cockatiel Max for about a week already. He is adjusting really well. Eating, drinking. He displays signs of being comfortable by grinding his beak and lifting one foot up and hiding it inside his floof. He also seems to have claimed his cage as his territory as when he sees some pigeons outside he spreads his wings widely and starts to sing shortly after.

However today i have noticed a tiny bald spot just at the joint of his wing. It's kinda hard to see as it's covered by other feathers.
    Here is a pic:

He does preen quite often, but not all the time. Should i be concerned about it?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Re: Bald spot. Should i be worried?

Awww!! The spreading his wings is what males will do when they are in a flock. Sometimes caged ones also do what we call heart wings! You are right! He is claiming his territory! And standing on one foot, when he is grinding his beak means he is very content and is thinking of taking a nap!! All of this behavior tells me he is very happy with you and his environment.

The bald spot could very well be from preening. Some of his baby feathers have probably fallen out as a result of the preening. His skin is probably dry there. Take a spritz bottle, put in some lukewarm water, and spritz him in that area and all over his body, if he will allow you to do so. It is like a mini bath! Most tiels love spritzing.

I do not think the bald spot is any cause for concern. Just keep your eye on that area and should you see it bleeding or quite a few more feathers fall out and the spot gets bigger, I suggest you call an Avian vet and have them check it out. Feathers and down should grow back in that area.

We will watch for updates! Max is doing great!
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-01-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you for the advice. I spritzed him a few times yesterday. He didn't seem to know what to do, just sat there and shook his head. He moved away after a few spritzes haha.
    Well it doesn't seem like it got worse since yesterday. I will keep an eye on him.
    I saw some big semi clear flakes on the bottom of his cage. I wonder if he is going to start molting soon. I heard it happens between 6-12 months.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I wouldn't be to concerned about that spot on his wings. He is a youngster and he is probably going to be ready to molt soon. Just some food for thought.. Usually, tiels get a bit cranky when they molt, it's just part of their personality traits. He may have a really heavy molt, can say for sure. Don't be to alarmed when you see lots of feathers at the bottom of the cage.. It will seem like someone broke into a pillow fight in the room, that is normal for these birds. Mine started molting a couple of weeks ago. Mine bird usually takes about a good month before his molting subsides.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011