Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: I want to know the cause of my lovebird's death.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    jeongseoyeon
    Thanks

I want to know the cause of my lovebird's death.

I am in high school in Korea. I don't speak English well, so the content can be tricky when using a translator, but I hope it will be well conveyed.

I entrusted my lovebird named Cloud at a friend's house with another lovebird for a day trip and since then the situation has deteriorated dramatically and died of an unknown illness. Korea is a country where parrot farming hasn't started for a long time, so veterinarians and other dogs and cats have a wide variety of knowledge, and the market size is small, so there is not enough information. And I think the vet's diagnosis is wrong ... I can't bring back a child who's already dead, but I want to know the cause of death. Even if you search in different books, articles and Google, it is difficult to find similar cases, so I ask for help on the forums. I don't mind, but I hope we can hear the feedback from the forums.

Please see my lovebird's log.
    ※Love bird
    name: cloud
    Born in the second week of October 2019(maybe October 16th)
    Male

The parrot bites the skin around the anus, not the uropigial gland. There were scabs on both sides and there seemed to be an itchy feeling in the U-shape.

July 28: Blood was found on its beak (it is expected to be scratched at dawn).
    Increasing the number of hairs and hairs (tail focus) Hair on the head and tail is fluffy.
    July 30: the steering feathers entangled in blood were visually identified. Discovered 0.8 mm baldness, visited the vet
    Diagnosis of a problem in the uropigial gland. Give antibiotic anti-inflammatory drugs. (I have heard the opinion that if symptoms do not improve, you should consider surgery)

July 30 - August 9 prescription medication. Side effects include insomnia, lethargy, and increased sleep time.
    Drinking water has increased since the first week of August. Before taking the medicine, there were 3-5 sips, but after taking the drug, it increased to 10 sips.
    August 5, the tail bleeds to such an extent that it is all wet (shell rupture). Apply the prescribed ointment after bleeding has stopped.
    At this time, blood shells adhered to the tail feathers.
    From 6 to 7 August, 3 times a day, after disinfection with a drug diluted with 1% povidone iodine, apply an ointment and continue taking the drug.
    Blood stains will completely disappear after swimming on August 7
    August 9, symptoms improved, continued drug intake and increased sleep time in the morning and afternoon.

Died at about 9:20 on 11 August.

I miss him so much and I have lost the meaning of life...
    If you have seen or know something like this, feel free to leave comments.

+)Until the day before death, the amount of food was the same, only the amount of water to drink increased. The weight was also increased.
    +) It was difficult to get to a hospital specializing in parrots, about two hours away. Inevitably, I went to a hospital in my area to see bird care.
    +) Unlike the doctor's diagnosis, I think his symptom is a skin disorder. The stress in my friend's house seems like a starting point, and I deeply regret it. (My trip was on July 25th.)
    The more I look for his symptoms, the more I don't know ...
    The veterinarian specializes in cat and dog, not parrots. And his diagnosis is so suspicious.
    I just miss my parrot so much. I'm really stupid, but ... I just want him to go to heaven. I hope that in your next life you will live happily. I just wish I could do better.

Last edited by cloudycloud; 09-05-2020 at 07:11 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Re: I want to know the cause of my lovebird's death.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I am soooo sorry you have lost your precious baby lovebird. Did the vet do an inspection of the bird's body to see if there could have been mites or tiny insects of some kind on him that caused bleeding? Did your friend have any similar trouble with her bird? I would think if it were something contagious her bird too would have gotten sick. Have you spoken to your friend about her birds condition at this time?

What diet were you feeding Cloud? Did you feed seeds only, pellets only, or a combination of both? Did you add fresh veggies to his diet? Had you recently changed his diet? Or add anything new to his diet?

My opinion is that because it is the rectum area, I feel that he could have had a tumor inside the rectum into the intestine. They would bleed. Even though he was quite young, this problem could have been hereditary, meaning he could have inherited this from a parent or parents DNA. Did you get him from a petshop. Do you know anything at all about his family history? In a case like this it is very difficult to ever find out what may have happened. If a necropsy had been done the cause "may" have been found, but sometimes even necropsy will not have an answer.

Your precious Cloud is flying high over the Rainbow Bridge right now where all sweet and precious birds go when they pass away. He is happy there with all kinds of birds. And rest assured you will be rejoined with Cloud when you leave this life for the next life. He will be waiting for you. He knows how much you loved him, and I KNOW he loved you too.

I hope after you have mourned the loss of Cloud, you will find another lovebird to love and care for, and to make your life happy again. I am sending many ((((((((((hugs))))))))) to you! Please stop by often. We are always here for you. And if one fine day you get another lovebird, we will welcome you back to tell us all about your new baby bird.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-05-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    jeongseoyeon
    Thanks

Wept for a while in your kind words... I wish he was happy with other bird friends as you say... Thank you for the book. Thank you for your important answer.

I'm suspicious of my usual diet... Cloud used to like sunflower seeds, my dad eats a lot, 10 or more, he even ate as much as he wanted.
    (This was my teacher's advice, but...) Pellets and seeds were 50% each, based on the daily supply standard. I fed gamma-sterilized seeds that started to hurt and I suspect there was a problem with the bait... Pellets helped 3 things in total, including Prettybad mini and gold and other non-colored pellets.

I was scared of the red fruits like plums that he mocked with Korean vegetables. Just looking at it made a sound and ran away. So he provided him with freeze-dried strawberries, figs and raspberries. And I ate Korean cabbage very well! (I don't know how to write this in English...) So far, he ate the fruit juice he had eaten before he died. For a while, I ate apple juice, which I didn't usually care about fruit apples, and licked peeled tomatoes. Not to eat. It seems that there was a series of people who drove excessive water well.

My friend lovebird is 3 this year and now he is very healthy. Her lovebird did not show the same symptoms as Cloud. It was only once that Cloud started living in my home and had direct contact with other parrots.

He examined his skin and feces and found no such thing as a parasite. Ah, again, when he started to hurt, the rainy season had fallen in Korea for two weeks, the frequency was over 80%, and the adjustment was so great. It also seems to have been an obstacle to his recovery. Sadly the rainy season in Korea has ended since the day my Cloud died...

It wasn't Petshop where took him, but breeder took him when he came a new baby to my home. As a hobby he(breeder) raises and lives several kinds of birds from pinches. I didn't see him in his house, but I didn't confirm it correctly, but I suspect that it was a sickness that left cloud. It is believed that he has tails with feathers colored like the cloud cloud of the other adult bird's subcategory mentioned above. New to adulthood, he wasn't all the other baby lovebirds he shared. There was also an orange face and a new cobalt bull. I also expect that the parent bird of cloud will also have a cloud-like color and a violet tail.

There wasn't even an autopsy... I am grateful to the book for being able to single out the cause and see it thanks to you. It's very painful and difficult right away, but it's likely I'll be able to raise my new parrot when one day I'm ready.

Thank you for your warm and heartfelt words. I knew this forum and thought it was a good book, so I went up. You keep the precious parrots of the people of the Forum always healthy and happy...

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Awww!! Thank you for your kind words. Here is my suggestion. The next bird you find, do not feed any sun flower seeds or pellets. Instead feed a good seed mix diet, and each day also feed fresh chopped veggies, and fruits! Do a Google search for....birdy bread and birdy chop recipes for lovebirds and other parrots. Substitute safflower seeds for the sunflower seeds and feed them only as treats. You can also use millet sprigs for treats. I have homed parrots for many years. I do not support pellets, especially for very small birds like lovebirds. Pellets are manmade. Seeds are natural foods. Pellets require a bird drink lots of water because they are very dry foods. They alter the natural poop. Most likely, Clouds poop was affected by the pellets. I am not saying the pellets caused his death, but certainly since it was his anus area that was affected, they could have been a part of the problem. His poops were probably tan color, and you did not see any green or white poop.

When you find your new baby, let us know. And feel free to post anytime. Let us know how you are doing. We are here for you. Losing our birds is very heartbreaking..

(((((((Hugs))))))). Ellen
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-07-2020 at 06:10 AM.