where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Red masked conure

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Charles
    Thanks

Red masked conure

We just adopted a 20 year old Red masked Conure named Crackers, his owner passed away and the owners friend received him, but they were only feeding him seeds and just were not birds owners. So we got him, any tips on Red masks?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Re: Red masked conure

Hi, Charles. Congrats on adopting Crackers. I would say to live that long, even though he had a seed diet only, it had to work well for him. I have only homed cockatiels and budgies for many years, and don't have any experience with conures, but over those years I never fed any pellets. I believe that all parrots should have a good seed diet, and be fed fresh fruits and veggies everyday as well. And once every 10 days or so, add a few drops of a bird vitamin to the seed mix.

Today, you will read of many bird owners using pellets for their bird food. Some mix 20-30% pellets to the seed mix. Some use pellets only. I do not support pellets at all, because they are man made, and most have soybeans and or corn in them. I have homed birds for over 50 years, and I strongly believe that Nature's seeds are the best foods for all parrots. In the wild, parrots eat all sorts of Nature seeds. And many of those parrots live for a very long time, just as your Crackers has lived so long. I think now that you have him, your best approach is to NOT change his diet at all. Hopefully, the Adoption agency gave you a list of seeds and foods they were feeding him.

I feel that changing a 20 year old bird's diet will be a regret, because at that age, a major change can do much more harm then good. Keep him on the seed diet, and add some fresh green veggies, fruits, do a veggie chop, make birdy bread. You can go online search for the chop and bread by googling ... Veggie chop and birdy bread recipes for conures and other parrots.

I am so happy for you that you have found Crackers. He is one lucky bird to have found you too. You two will be best friends and with your great bird care experience I am sure he will thrive and love your other flock members as well.

We will welcome your updates anytime. Wishing you the very best journey together.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-07-2020 at 05:39 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Charles
    Thanks

Re: Red masked conure

Thank you for your reply, the seed mix he was on was terrible we will be switching to a different mix, thank you for the advice!