Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: female parakeet is over a one with no eggs

Name
    Toni L Townsend
    Thanks

Post female parakeet is over a one with no eggs

Hi, I'm Toni. I'm brand new to this Tailfeathers. I have a female and male Parakeet that I bought a little over a year ago. The second that they were put into the same cage the male was mating her. They are again mating over the last month however, she still has never laid any eggs. Is something wrong with her? Should I be worried?

Thanks,

Toni

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Re: female parakeet is over a one with no eggs

Hi, Tony and welcome to the community. Could you please post pics of your budgies. We will look at them to see if they are a pair or you have two girls or two boys. It is not unusual to see two girls or two boys mimic the mating ritual. Like you, I would think they are a good age for the mating and laying eggs, if they are a pair. Ideally 1 1/2 years is a great age, in my view!
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-22-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Name
    Toni L Townsend
    Thanks

I hope this helps. That was the only way I could figure out to get a picture in there. Thank you for any help that you can give me.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I cannot see the colors of the ceres very well. Here is another thought......when the female is in breeding condition, oher cere will turn from light ivory or tan color to a crusty brown color. Then, she will be fertile to and lay eggs. It may be she is still not quite ready for egg laying. She can still mate, but the reproductive organs are not quite ready for eggs. You could buy a budgie nest box at the pet shop, and put it in the cage. See what happens. They both may get interested in the box. If she does lay eggs as a result, she will not allow the male into the box with her until the eggs hatch. This is normal budgie pair behavior. The hen gets very protective of her eggs. The male perches outside the nest box and sleeps there at night while hen sleeps inside the box. I suggest you do not put nesting material in the box. Budgie hens like to take their beaks and shave off some wood on the inside nest box bottom and use those shavings as nesting material.

I have bred a pair of budgies a few years ago, and am sharing some info with you about my experience. The box perks their interest to mate, but if they are too young, or the hen is not in breeding condition, she won't lay eggs. Also, for the first time laying eggs, she could lay them outside of the box. If that happens, gently move the egg to inside of nest box. The first time egg layers often lay an egg while perching on their swing or a perch. Sometimes the egg cracks or breaks. If that happens you need to remove the broken egg from the cage floor, and clean that area with a mix of warm water and white vinegar. You do not want either of the pair to get salmonella poisoning from the broken egg. Be sure to give both of them plenty of cuttlebone. Hang a couple in the cage. Also, take a small piece of the cuttlebone and crush it in fine pieces and mix it with the seed in the seed cup. Also feed fresh leaf lettuce in small pieces for calcium.

Also, go to Google and search for...breeding budgies. The more info you can find before trying to breed the better. Breeding is not an easy feat for the pair. It is very stressful for them and also for us, because we really want to see the eggs hatch. And hope nothing goes wrong in the process.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-22-2020 at 11:09 AM.

Name
    Toni L Townsend
    Thanks

Thank you for your reply. I do have a nesting box already. She goes in and out of it. She will stay inside a few minutes then leave. While the male stays outside. I will do the lettuce and I have cattle bone in there but I haven’t been putting it in the food so I will try that also. Thank you for your ideas I sure appreciate it.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Keep us posted, Tony. Sometimes it takes awhile before the hen finally lays the eggs, especially the first time. The male's s sperm sometimes is not quite mature enough to fertilize the eggs. It does sound to me like they are a pair, because already, the male stays out of the box. If you had two females they would more than likely be competing for the box. Two females do not get along well at hormone time, and when one lays eggs, the other wants to be with the eggs too, and the one who laid them gets very protective of them, and the two even get aggressive with each other because of the eggs.