Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Mr Rudy; fussy eater or plain snob ?

Name
    Nina Anlezarck
    Thanks

Mr Rudy; fussy eater or plain snob ?

Ok. So Mr Rudy has had the Woolworths brand “Frankie and Friends” feed for about a week or so (including parsley, carrot etc). He doesn’t seem to like the black small seeds in the mix because he kicks it out of the tray.. He LOVES millet spray but I’m using that as a treat type feed. Is there a feed anyone can recommend? Preferably in Australia. Thanks
    Nina, Joe and Rudy

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Mr Rudy; fussy eater or plain snob ?

I have some Aussie friends who use to belong to this group years ago and I remember them saying they fed birds "Trill seed mixes". I looked it up and it has a vitimix in it that if it were me I might not use because I never gave our birds here vitamins but I sure know some of the old forum people all fed it to there little budgies and also to the big birds.

If I were you I would look online and google bird seed mixes and try to find one that just has all natural things in it and hopefully you can find one that does not have added vitamins or preservatives in it. To me it should be all natural and you can supplement the diet with fruits and veggies and good for them people food. Our birds love the Volkman bird seed mixes but it is a american seed mix but if you look it up you can see what is in it and possibly find a aussie mix that has the same kind of things in it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,310 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the community. Deanna gave you great info. I am a bird owner that does believe in seed mixes having some vitamins in the ingredients. Your goal is to find a good seed mix with vitamins but no added fillers like dried veggies, nuts, or other unnecessary sugary ingredients. Budgies should have limited sugar products. You also can look for the seed mix without vitamins and then add some bottled bird vitamins to the seed cup, about once a week. You can get bottled vitamins for birds at the pet shop. I like the seed mix to have the vitamins in it because most companies do a great job.in adding just the right of vitamins to a seed mix. When budgies molt their feathers look for a small package of seed entitled...mo!ting and conditioning food for budgies... and give that mix in a separate food cup. Most budgies molt in the fall and the spring.

We will welcome your updates anytime.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-21-2020 at 04:10 PM.

Name
    Nina Anlezarck
    Thanks

Hi guys, thanks for the information. We went to our local petbarn and got some seed with mostly millet seed and he ABSOLUTELY loves it! It hasn’t got any honey or preserved stuff in it (the attendant buys the same thing for his budgie and lorrie) so I thought that was the best option. Good move on the food has made him a lot more chirpy also brought him a bigger cage and he has stopped pacing which is awesome. I think he was just a little picky as to what he wants to eat. I also brought some pellets as another recommendation from the attendant but I will start that when he’s a Lillie older, maybe 1/2 Teaspoon into his feed at a time. Mr Rudy also got some new toys, he’s apprehensive about them so I’ve lowered them closer to the floor of the cage so they won’t swing and scare him which is slower working. I have worked out that he LOVES the parsley from my garden which him and my husband have to fight over because they both love it haha not sure how to post pictures yet but when I work it out I’ll update his CUTE little face on here. I appreciate all the help everyone has given, such life savers! God bless.
    Nina, Joe and Rudy