where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New budgie has been here for a week, still not too active

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

New budgie has been here for a week, still not too active

Hi, I've never owned a budgie before but my friends budgie laid eggs 9 weeks ago. I got Sweetie last tuesday. The first few days she was very still, very quiet and not eating much. She's started coming to more life lately, and even lets me put my hand in her cage to change her food and water, light cleaning around the cage, etc., but still won't let me touch her. She was getting more active and friendly yesterday and the day beofre (she seemed really active when my parents were over the other day). After cleaning her cage today she's back to being very quiet and not really moving from her perch at her water dish (which she has taken to keeping her tail in the water and, ahem, pooping in it ). I also noticed she may be molting a bit and a little red spot on the back of her neck (either from scratching too hard or from molting, not sure). I only work part time and already spent quite a bit of money on a new cage, toys, food, etc. so can't really afford to bring her to a vet. Is it still stress, or something I should be really concerned about?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: New budgie has been here for a week, still not too active

Hi, and welcome to the community. Congrats on bringing home Sweetie! Not sounds to me like she or he are doing really great. All birds are afraid of hands when we first bring them home. The best approach is to first, sit by her cage, eat a snack, and play her some music on a CD player or radio. You can also read a kids book to her! Budgies love music, and they also love Disney channel. You can play both alot of the day, if they don't upset your schedule. Get some millet sprigs at the pet shop and take one, extend your arm out with the millet, and let her eat some of the millet off the top of the sprig. When she does eat some, praise her for it. Also, get a small dowel or perch, and gently move it toward her tummy. She will automatically step up. Then, let her eat millet off the sprig, and praise her more.

You also can put some millet seeds in a separate cup in the cage, and also, mix some in her seed.

Time and patience are on your side. Each day and week she will become more trusting if you. Budgies are loving and happy little birds who love to eat and drink, and love their swings. If she doesn't have one, get her one at the pet shop. Keep an eye on that red spot. I think it probably is a bare spot from molting of baby feathers. If it were to bleed, put cornstarch on it, and call an avian vet and take her in for an exam.

You also can go to YouTube and search for...training budgies. There are great videos there. We will welcome your updates anytime, and, pictures too!
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-02-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    William
    Thanks

Re: New budgie has been here for a week, still not too active

My budgie experienced the same thing, but my boy died I hope your budgie will get better.