Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hi from the UK

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi from the UK

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Bill. About 6 months ago I got 3 cockatiels, between 6-9 months old, a yellow/white male called Rory, a yellow/white female called Amy and a Grey female called Charley.

They weren't hand reared so we're still not at the point where they will let me touch them but they've definitely settled in to the space. Am hoping eventually they'll be comfortable enough to sit with me.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

Re: Hi from the UK

Hi, Bill and welcome to the community. Congrats on bringing your three precious cockatiels into your home. I love the names you chose. I have homed tiels for many years. Each one is unique and has their own personality. I have had both store purchased where they were parent raised, and babies from breeders that were hand fed. Both are great, but honestly, I feel that parent raised are easier because they never had the socializing and hand raising that parent raised have, and they tend to be more dependent on us needing attention more, and having separation anxiety. This is my own thought. I imagine some have no problem with either parent or hand raised. No matter which one they are super birds, people birds, very intelligent, and loving as well.

Do post some pics if you can. And we will welcome your posts anytime! Enjoy your new friends. It may take awhile, but they will train. Time and patience are on your side. Good luck!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-14-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum Bill. Sounds like you got your hands full with three new birds. It takes lots of time and tons of sweet talking to get birds to finally decide you are there friend. My advice is to sit close to the cage and do what ever you do when sitting around but every now and then talk to your three feathered friends. They will get use to your voice and in awhile settle down and actually may want to take bites of your yummy food that you give to them through the bars. I sit right next to the my daughters conures cage and eat and he will sit as close as possible to me waiting for me to pass him a tiny bite of food to him. With Tikki it is a love/hate thing with me and him and he is very sweet talking and will charm you like crazy but the second you put your finger close to him he will full on bite it. So he gets only food treats from me for now.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hi Bill and Congratulations on providing homes for your new feathered friends. I agree with Ellen, the names are awesome. Deanna gave you some sound advice about sitting nearby the cage and talk to your fids.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures with Rory, Amy and Charley
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hi Bill and Congratulations on providing homes for your new feathered friends. I agree with Ellen, the names are awesome. Deanna gave you some sound advice about sitting nearby the cage and talk to your fids.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures with Rory, Amy and Charley
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011