where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: turns out, he is a she

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

turns out, he is a she

Hi Everyone:
    My daughter has a love bird, who is about a year old now. We had originally thought it was a female, the vet was convinced she was a he. Well, today He laid an egg. so, female.
    first thing, the egg is huge! at measurement, end to end 1" such a large egg for this tiny bird to push out!
    my daughter has replaced the real egg, not fertilized because there isn't a male around) with a dummy egg. But if love birds are like cockatiels, we should expect more eggs over the next couple of days?
    is there an average clutch size?
    is there anything we should be aware of and looking for? if shes in distress?
    How long should the dummy eggs stay in the nest?
    do we need to add stuff to her diet? Shes pretty good at eating a wide variety of things already, but maybe more calcium?

We were not thinking we would have this problem, as we were convinced of the male diagnosis. so are a bit out of the female loop.
    thanks!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: turns out, he is a she

Yikes, I am sorry your little boy turned out to be a girl and sad that her first egg was so big. Hopefully if she does lay more they will not be that big because it had to hard on her laying a huge egg like that. Others will know what to do with your now little girl laying eggs because we have only had boys in our family here.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

It kind of explains some of her behaviors the last few days. Massive amounts of paper chewing, rubbing on her fluffy mouse, (we though she was doing other things to the mouse) this week she has been very quiet, and this morning she was all fluffed up.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I would be so frantic if I ever had a girl bird who laid eggs. We have been blessed with only boys here and never had to worry about eggs and the awful things that can happen when they lay them. I hope she is just feeling super tired from laying a big egg and nothing else is going on like a soon to be another egg.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

Hi, MJ! Unless you have a vet do a DNA test or order one on line, we never know for sure until we see an egg in the cage!!! Lolol Congrats on her laying the egg with no problems. It is apparent she has an excellent diet and plenty of calcium to lay such a large egg. Fresh green veggies, fruits, and extra cuttlebone along with her seeds and or pellets will help to forum the egg with s hard shell. Some hens can lay large clutches. 5-8 eggs. Others lay about 4 eggs. It is impossible to know for sure, but since she does not have a mate, I lean toward less eggs. We shall see. You are wise to replace the real egg for a dumny egg each time she lays one. Since you do have her nest set up, allow her to have it this time. But next time, place the dummy eggs on a paper towel in a corner of the cage floor with no nest in the cage. All hens no matter the species love to lay eggs. Nature created them to procreate all of the time. The problem with single hens is that they can easily become chronic egg layers, laying eggs every few weeks. Egg laying is very stressful and can compromise her health. So this is the main reason for not giving them a nest.

You will need to allow her to nest with her dummy eggs for about 21-24 days or until she no longer pays attention to them. Then remove the dummies, clean them and store them until she lays again. Once a hen begins laying eggs she will always do so. We do not want to encourage a single been to lay. I suggest no soft foods, or cooked foods like rice. Also, give her at least 10 hours of sleep each night even when she is not laying.

Try to give her hesd scritches only. Touching her in other parts of her body can cause hoirminal behavior. You don't want constant egg laying. And we just cannot throw eggs away. The hen has to set on the eggs or she will immediately lay more eggs.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-15-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

Thanks! Yes, since we were convinced she was a he, my daughter had given her a: little house, a hammock, and a couple other things in the cage. Bori, now Sage, loved al of them. so her cage is very bare now.
    and I had already told her about scritches around the head only from early on. luckily we had just had an egg conversation a week or so ago, because Tyrion is going through puberty now. so Raven was aware of some of the issues that can come with chronic egg laying. But didn't think it applied, cause, bori wasn't a girl. lol
    As of this morning SAGE has not laid another egg, and really hasn't sat of the one she has very much. She had rolled a couple ping pong balls into the nest yesterday, but they were out this morning.
    We have been really lucky that both birds are very good eaters, and will try almost anything. I will start adding more sprouts into their diets though.
    thanks!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I love the name you chose..Sage! She is at about the exact age to begin laying eggs. I know you understand they consider us our mate, and they always feel the love we give them! I had a hen tiel lay eggs shortly after I got her at a petshop. They sold her as a 12 week old, but about 6 weeks later, Ollie laid an egg! Lolol. I was shocked! But she loved me soooo much from day one and I loved her just as much! They know our love for them, and I think that is why they lay eggs. To show their love for us in return. Sage will be fine!!

Now we shall see how it turns out for Tyrion! Boy or girl!!!! Please keep us updated, MJ. Thanks for sharing!

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

We thought she might drop another egg yesterday. She looks rather..........like she has a very full diaper. but no second egg yet. She has completly lost interst in the one eggs, we were wondering if she might have figured out it was a dummy. we shall just keep an eye on her.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, even hens who are paired and lay fertilized eggs often times pay no attention or very little attention to them until all eggs in the clutch are laid. Then they get serious about setting on them. You sure could be right about the egg being a dummy egg. Some hens will take to dummy eggs, some do not. In your case you can forego the dummies if you wish to do so, because the egg or eggs are not fertle. The main reason for dummies is the owner does not want to have baby birds.

And also, first time egg layers really are learning themselves. So, no worries at this point. I suggest still leaving the dummy egg and any real eggs, or if you prefer the dummy eggs, in the nest for those 21-25 days so she doesn't immediately lay more eggs after this egg or eggs yet to be layed. They are laid every other day. So if she does not lay them on that schedule, then she probably will only have the one egg she laid that was replaced by the dummy egg.

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

Thanks, I m thinking she might be done laying at this point. We are keeping a watch on her poo, she went really watery a day before the egg came. Raven has upped her calcium in seeds and more green to the diet. so I think sage is doing fine in that regard.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It is normal that the poos get very loose and watery during hormone time. I am sure in the future she will lay eggs again.