where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Please help me help him.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Please help me help him.

Okay, backstory time... My husband and I ended up rescuing a cinnamon green cheek conure from a VERY bad situation a couple of years ago. He was locked in a cage far too small, with one rusty toy, one perch that he had all but chewed through, overgrown beak and nails, filthy water, and only sunflower seeds to eat. He was five when we got him, and he didn't even have a name until I started calling him Meeko. Meeko, as one would understandably be, is very... nutty. It took us six months to get him to not be afraid of toys in his cage, and the dark. We trimmed his beak and nails (still doing so off and on as he's learning how to be a bird), and we have to clip his wings as he gets so scared he flies into the window and walls. He's on a proper diet of pellet food, some seeds, veggies, and fruits, and his colors have been improving as he is on the road to recovery. The only problem we have now is his.... confliction between wanting company and being terrified of humans. He screams and screams until you pay attention to him (which is good as we know he's calling for attention), but he will not accept just speaking to him. But, when we get close to his cage, he jumps away and clings to the wall, hyperventilating like we're going to chop him up or something. I would be understanding if he never became a good "sit on the shoulder" kind of parrot, and he loves to come out of the cage. But is terrified of us going to get him, and we don't want to stress him out further by chasing him around the room, as I believe that would kill off any trust we are trying so hard to build with him. If anyone has any ideas and tips on how to help me to tame him better, it would be most appreciated. Also for context, I work from home, so I have tons of time to devote to him. We also have two cockatiels (one hand tamed, the other one is blind and doesn't like being touched), and they all live in the same room in separate cages, and we have not had any problems with them interacting with one another (aside from forming mini screaming songs with each other but that's birdlife LOL). Thank you for your time.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Please help me help him.

I have found that just sitting next to the cage and reading a book and every now and then looking there way and talking is a good way to it least get them use to you being by them. I also like to talk to them from a distance every now and then just so they know I am aware of them and a good person... ha, well it least hopefully. We bird sat some budgies years ago and they were obviously not use to people by them and would freak out like your conure does. We watched them for two weeks and they actually got use to my voice and became curious of me and did not mind me sitting on a chair next to the table that the cage sat on. Move very slowly by your boy and just give him eye contact the first days and a few times talk to him in a soft voice. Millet is a great thing to try to put next to the cage to see if he will eat it, or if he is like my daughters conure they also love people food. I do hope you new conure gets use to you soon so it will not freak out anymore.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

Hi and welcome. I think Meeko is doing great considering what he lived before you rescued him. I think the fear comes from how he was treated by the prior owner or owners. Birds have an awesome ability to remember their past life. Sadly, some are either mistreated mentally, physically, or both. Since we do not know his history, and he needed to be cleaned up, etc and fed a proper diet, I suspect he very well could have been abused. You are doing exactly right with him. Encourage him to be as normal as possible, and try new things but when he begins to fear, stop, and talk softly to him...we love you. You are a good boy, Meeko. Then discontinue the interaction you were trying for now.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

For birds like him it may take a long time for them to fully trust you, but never stop trying and keep showing him and telling him you love him. One day, he will be brave to trust you. Our love makes a world of difference to them. It will heal their wounded spirit in time. Time and patience are on your side. And having the other two birds will also help him because he will feel as though he is a part of the flock.

I admire you completely for bringing him into your home and feeding him a great diet too. Also, play music on a CD player or radio for all your birds. Birds LOVE music, and also let them watch videos of cockatiels on YouTube. Search for Cockatiel Companion. My budgie, who is ten, also is blind. My Cockatiel, is two years old. They love those videos.

We will welcome your updates anytime. Thanks for sharing all about Meeko and your other birds.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-24-2020 at 01:32 PM.