where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My beloved Quaker is gone :(

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Suzanne
    Thanks

My beloved Quaker is gone :(

My best friend and little buddy Whirly just passed away. He was a beautiful blue Quaker, and he was 16 years old. I loved him so very much. I cannot stop crying. I still don't understand what happened. It all happened so quickly. He started showing signs of illness Sunday, and I couldn't get him into the vet until this afternoon. The vet said it was most likely respiratory and that he was indeed very sick. He gave him an antibiotic shot and sent me home with some treated drinking water for him, and told me to keep using the UVB lamp. By the time we got home, I put him back in his cage, and he just laid down on the cage floor and went to sleep. I guess I just came here to find others that can relate to how deep the love for a bird can be. I will miss him so terribly.
    Last edited by BirdLvrNE; 10-27-2020 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: My beloved Quaker is gone :(

Suzanne, I am so sorry to hear about Whirly. One thing through the years that I have learned about birds that they do hide their illnesses. In the wild, it would show that they were vulnerable to their predators. You did everything possible for your quaker. Many of us share your pain on the loss of your beloved Whirly, When my Piper passed away, I was a train wreck and there was a big void in our household. The main thing is that your best friend and little buddy was very much loved by you and I am sure that Whirly loved you back just as much. Sending you virtual hugs and remember, you had Whirly for 16 years wonderful years.

Fly Free over the Rainbow Bridge Whirly..
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Suzanne
    Thanks

Thank you so much, Pipers Mom! I cannot thank you enough for your kind words and sympathy! It means the world to me. I had a horrible night of sleep. Every time I'd wake up, I'd think of Whirly and what had happened and I was absolutely crushed all over again. The guilt has set in too. All the "what if's" are driving me crazy, especially that I should have gotten him to a vet on Sunday when he first started showing signs of illness. But then again, I had a hard enough time finding someone yesterday that would take a look at him - avian vets are few and far between. And I worry so about my sweet green cheek conure Petri - he was in a cage right next to Whirly, and I pray he doesn't get sick too.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

Aww! I am so sorry that your Whirly hascdied. It is spool hard to lose them. I am sending you condolences and hugs. You are one awesome caregiver to have kept him alive for so long. And I totally admire you for taking him to the vet right away.

We are here for you anytime you wish to post your thoughts ,as you motn his kids. Thinking for you today.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

I suggest if possible, take your green cheek out of the cage, perhaps use a bird carrier for a little while to put him in, and thoroughly wash both inside and outside of the cage with a mix of white vinegar and very warm water, to remove any germs that may have passed over to his cage. Also wipe down inside cage toys. If you see any evidence at all of him showing symptoms of illness, get him to the vet asap.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My heart hurts for you losing your little Whirly. The pain you feel is nothing like you can ever imagine until you go through it and it truly really is such a heartbreaking thing to lose your loved bird. Time heals the pain but if your like me it will take months before you dont shed tears for your sweet bird. To have a bird for 16 years is amazing and you had to be a very loving good "parront" to your sweet Whirly. I lost my Boomer years ago and it took me years before I could talk about him without getting tears in my eyes. They truly are such loving souls who capture your heart and to lose them breaks your heart.

This is a poem I found here on the forum that I printed out when I lost Boomer and each time I read it I did cry but it did help me to feel better because without a doubt I knew Boomer loved me and my family as much as we loved him.

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...Lend-Me-a-Bird
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Suzanne
    Thanks

Thank you so much maxollie and boomer girl - I appreciate it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Suzanne
    Thanks

boomer girl, I just read the poem - it is absolutely beautiful and so very true - thank you for sharing.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Suzanne, I am happy you liked the poem. It broke my heart so much to lose Boomer and I was happy that that one simple beautiful poem helped me and really happy it helped you. They truly are such loving souls that break our hearts losing them.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.