Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budgie tail bobbing normal?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

Question Budgie tail bobbing normal?

I recently bought a female budgie from a pet store where she was in a medium cage with two male budgies and they were never handled. When I got her home her tail has bobbed ever since. I am including a video to see if this should be an issue... the closest avian vet is an hour and a half away and the other one thatís closer has no openings for months and I donít wanna put her through the stress going to the vet if this is a normal adjustment ... I donít know if that is a centimeter or bigger unless I get a ruler out and still it moves so Iím not sure & she doesnít seem to have any other symptoms - she eats, drinks, preens, and did well on her first day out and even stepped up onto a perch that I held out to her to go back to her cage!

https://youtu.be/HXyDcGAxjrg

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Budgie tail bobbing normal?

Hi Michele, She is a beautiful little girl. I can see her tail pumping and I dont know if it is her being nervous of her new home or her having issues with breathing. I do hope it is better today because just like you I would be a little nervous seeing her tail bob like that as well. BUT, I dont know budgies and if this is something they do when they are nervous so hopefully Maxollie or another budgie owner will see this and tell you what their thoughts are. I just am hoping she has calmed down today and is no longer do it this bad today.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,325 Times in 1,324 Posts

Hi, Michelle. Welcome to you and Harmony. I love the name you chose. She is so beautiful! Did the pet shop tell you how old she is? To me, she appears to look older than the usual baby budgies which are about 12 weeks old when they first are sold by the breeder to a pet shop. I do not see the usual black bars on her head, that would signal she is a baby. Those bars disappear at about a year old after the puberty starts about that time.

What diet are you feeding? If you are feeding pellets, that could be the reason for her tail bobbing, due to pellets being a very dry food and if her poops seem small and dry, that could be the reason because the dryness may be causing her little bum to be sore. And the tail to bob. Ideally, I recommend a good seed diet, and if the budgie does eat pellets too, then you need to be sure to encourage her to drink plenty of water. That is difficult, because budgies are just not into drinking a lot of water. Try putting a few drops of organic apple juice, unsweetened, mixed in the seed cup each day. That will help to loosen the poos. You want them to be firm and not watery, but not dry. Also, feed her some fresh lettuce leaves. You can put some through the bars, shred some and put in a separate cup, and also mix some tiny pieces in with the seed mix. Also, try feeding some chopped fine veggies like carrots and frozen peas.

Budgies should never eat any cabbage family veggies like bok choy or broccoli or cauliflower. And also never feed them parsley. This family of veggies has a phyto chemical in them that can cause esophageal tumors.

It is a good sign she is eating, drinking, and even stepped up on the perch and also is preening. It takes several days for them to settle into a home.

Here are some signs of possible illness. Very watery poops, not eating or drinking. Being all puffed up, sleeping alot, lethargy. Sometimes even setting on the cage floor. Then she needs to see the vet.

I also noticed here cere, which is right above the beak looks very ivory color. Do you see any crusty brown color in it as well. That would indicate she is getting into hormones, and my thought is that her tail bobbing could also indicate she may be going to lay an egg....IF she is about a year old. Be sure to feed her plenty of cuttlebone so her calcium levels will be high and if she does lay an egg she will be able to push the egg and not be egg bound. Since she was in a cage with two males, if they too were older, she could have been mating with them. However a hen of a year old or more, does not have to be with a male nor mate to lay eggs. Being in a cage with them though, at a year old, or older that can encourage egg laying. I hope this info is of help to yiu. Update us each day for awhile. I will come to find your posts.
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-01-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

I first I want you thank both of you for responding. It means the world to me (and Harmony)!

I have a closeup.. the man at the pet store said that she was still a baby and the stripes on her head would go away a bit as she gets older so maybe you can see them better in this other video that Iím posting below - she does puff up sometimes but she eats a lot, drinks a lot, and her poops are kind of watery with solid poops mixed in -she only sat on the bottom of the cage after she was out for three hours yesterday cause she got scared the second time out -other than that sheís pretty energetic. I have her on seeds and Harrisonís superfine pellets. The pet store fed her a pure seed diet but I have heard that can make birds develop fatty cells that they can never get rid of. I will say she eats A LOT!! Sheís been at her food dish all day! She has two water bowls and a bath and seems to drink pretty regularly too. In the first video below she is puffed up, but she doesnít do that too often.

These videos are from today:

https://youtu.be/wrSp6Kx9Sj4

https://youtu.be/LlSGNLVKziA

https://youtu.be/fgXg_MXZ4As

Let me add that I just heard the opposite of what the pet store said- he said male budgies have blue ceries and females are pink, but thatís not what this video below implies- my budgies is pinkish!! Other sites say itís the evenness or brightness of the color and that male and females could have both blue and pink. If the first video is right, that would make Harmony a he??!!?? This I kind of need to know before he or she gets used to their name!! Lol ...and the phrase pretty girl!!

https://youtu.be/w6rCRYmTPXc
    Last edited by Michele_e76; 11-01-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Sometimes videos and pictures are deceiving, so I apologise for going into the idea she may be older. In there videos today, to me the cere looks ivory color. That would signify a girl. But if it does turn out to be a boy, I sure would not rename him, if it were me, because both boys and girls sing and make harmony, and I absolutely love that name!

She does love to eat, and is so enjoying her seeds. She looks great in that video and I see nothing sticking to her bum or anything dirty at all there, so the bobbing wouldn't be due to that area.

I will say in the video where she is all puffed up, that concerns me somewhat, because to me it is almost a look that signals some sort of illness on the way. I will say that budgies and all parrot species have a very keen way of hiding illness.

The seed mix and pellet mix you chose is fine. Add some of the fresh foods I spoke of, and plenty of water to her diet. I do not think you need the apple juice now. Take a raw apple, peel it, and chop it finely and mix some in her seed cup.

We will welcome your updates anytime. If you are interested in budgie mutations, google...budgie mutations. Also visit a website called The Budgie Place. There are great descriptions of many mutations on the web.

And...I do think Harmony is a girl!! You can go on line and get a sexing kit. Or an avian vet would do one. They are rather pricey though, so if it were me, I would wait awhile before doing the testing. Now, if in the future you were to decide to get a friend for her, then you should consider getting the test so you then can decide whether you want another girl or a boy budgie. I know for sure if I were you, and would have seen her in the pet shop, I would have fallen in love with her at first sight! I love her!!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-02-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

Thank you for responding! Will take your kind words and try my best for her. Would probably be a good idea to get her an appointment to an avian vet ASAP to be safe. Hopefully it wonít be too traumatizing for her (the almost two hour drive)

Will keep you posted!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

Hereís some updates of beautiful Harmony! I think sheís adjusting pretty well!!

Links

https://youtu.be/-qWjcD0jnMM

https://youtu.be/aY8EI5jQfzY

https://youtu.be/YmU5Sd8aDw8

https://youtu.be/KIgQtbD_Kv4

https://youtu.be/CkhahhwSiSg

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Ahhh.... Thank you for posting your super cute videos. I watched all of them and I just love seeing your sweet Harmony so happy with her awesome swings and toys. She is a very brave girl to hop onto all her things you put in there. The birds we have had here are always afraid of the new things we give them for days. No doubt you are a great "parront" (as we call a parent here).
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Harmony is beautiful.. I love the name. Ellen gave you some very solid advice. She knows her budgies. That is why I have identified Ellen as the Budgie Extraordinaire. Like Deanna, mentioned to, I am sure you are a great parront too

Please keep us updated!
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Wow! She is very active, and quite an explorer, for being with you for such a short time! I do not think she needs a vet at all right now. I don't see any evidence of illness. She is very active. And I am 99.9% sure Hormony is a girl...a beautiful girl! I love the videos, and also how you have set up the cage, and play area. She is looking super happy and has lots of energy.

Thanks for sharing. We will watch for updates.

PS. I have a 10 year old budgie named Muffin. He is blind, having lost his sight a couple of years ago. He got diabetes from sn ingredient called malltrodextrose. It is often found in human and animal products and is a chemical sugar alcohol. So never feed your birds of animals any foods with that ingredient. His blindness does not hinder his life. He has learned to navigate his cage just as though he could see, we even plays with his mirror girlfriends. I also have a cockatiel named Penny. He is 2 years plus a few months old. He loves music, both do, and he taps music rhythms on the cage floor or his food cups that are sctual drum rhythms. I taught him to do them!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

Yeah, I was super amazed at how she liked to check each one out and inspect it to her liking! She is so awesome! I work from home (since Covid) and usually work out in the living room where my computer desk and multiple monitors are, but since I got her and I know they are very social creatures, Iíve been working in my room where she is and let her cage be open all day and she usually goes in and out of it. She gets so brave each day that it amazes me!! Yesterday and today I had my 7 month old granddaughter in her walker and she still came out and sat on top of her cage and flew around the room a bit!! Thank you for watching my videos and your kind words!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

Thank you for watching my updates!! I am really happy to hear she may not need to go through the vet experience quite yet, since sheís still a little scared and the drive is almost two hours. Hopefully the one thatís closer (45 min drive) can get her in eventually and give her a checkup, but it would be nice if it could be later! She seems very active, eats A LOT, drinks a good amount, preens, plays, and sings beautifully and doesnít have watery or black stools and no crusties on her cere or eyes or her behind, so fingers crossed, hopefully sheíll be okay for years to come and make the vet trip for a regular checkup in a couple months when she is more used to me and her new home. Already bought a travel cage just in case!

Sorry to hear about your bird losing his sight! Glad Muffin (cute name) has made the adjustment so well! He has been with you a long time and I can hear the love you have for him. I will try to never give that to Harmony (or my other animals) - so thank you for the warning! I had a cockatiel growing up that I loved - they have such personalities! Sounds like youíve got a little dancer bird in Penny! Thatís so cool!

Thanks again for the kind words and advice! This is my first bird on my own and I want more in the future for her to have a playmate (and me) but will definitely wait a year or two before Harmonyís fully adjusted!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

Thank you for watching her progress!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Budgies are people birds, and they love kids too! I can only imagine what fun your precious little granddaughter will have with Harmony as she gets older! We will welcome your updates anytime.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

Harmony took a turn for the worse last night! Was seemingly fine all day and then started crashing to the bottom of her cage and couldnít fly up to land on a perch all night long starting at like three in the morning and most of the early day! I couldnít find any close vets that could see her until Monday and I feel she would not have made it if I waited that long so I drove three hours to a vet far away that was able to see her and they found out that she has had pneumonia since I purchased her 1they gave her some antibiotics and now all we can do is pray and pray that she makes a full recovery 1it could go either way so your prayers would be greatly appreciated!!!