Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Need advice! My male cockatiel passed away on Friday..

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anna
    Thanks

Need advice! My male cockatiel passed away on Friday..

Over 12 years ago, I rescued a male cockatiel (Tweety) from a well meaning elderly gentleman who kept Tweets in a tiny cage, high on a shelf to keep him away from his dogs. Having many dogs myself, I wasn't planning on keeping him. I wanted to find him a good home, but everyone wanted to keep him in a little cage. Then I got attached! Because I couldn't spend a lot of time with him, I was able to rescue another tiel, Sunshine a few months later. Tweety was about 4 and she was 1 at the time.

Tweety was a HUGE personality. He wasn't scared of people, and of course once we adopted Sunshine he became less people friendly. I would let them both periodically out in my bedroom to fly around and would have to catch them to get them back in their cage. Tweety was self confident and would always speak up if he thought life was unfair.

Sunshine, on the other hand, seemed to adore Tweety, and totally ignore people. I could never even scratch her head.

One thing Tweety did do, was he would stalk Sunshine for a few minutes when they returned to the cage. I found that playing Frank Sinatra would calm him down. But he never got overtly aggressive with her, and she still seemed to adore him.

My poor darling, bigger than life, Tweets passed away on Friday morning due to crop failure. He was at the hospital for three days and two days later was dead. I am absolutely devastated. I honestly didn't realize how much he meant to me. I'm wracked with guilt. He was 16 but I thought I'd have another couple of years with him.

But also I've been concerned about Sunshine. Seeing her alone in a cage and in my room breaks my heart.

Here's my question. She actually doesn't seem that bothered. She's eating, and drinking normally. She's no louder or quieter than usual. Is it possible that she could be okay? Am I projecting on her? I've been researching all the alternatives: try to get her to bond with me (she's about 12/13 now), find a great home for her with another cockatiel, adopt an older cockatiel (I don't really want to but will.)

Any advice you can give will be helpful!

Thank you.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Need advice! My male cockatiel passed away on Friday..

I am very sorry for your loss you loss of your Tweety. They really do hurt our hearts when they die.

I would just give Sunshine some time alone and if she seems fine being a single bird then I think she will be just fine. My family has always only had one bird living with us. Boomer was very spoiled and very much loved life as a single spoiled rotten bird. My daughter has Tikki now who is alone and probably the most happiest bird I ever met. He is very vocal and loving (when he wants to be). I think as long as you take good care of your Sunshine and talk to her lots she will be just fine living alone with you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hi Anna and I am too sorry for your loss of Tweety. I would like to piggyback on what Deanna (boomer girl) mentioned. If Sunshine is content, then I wouldn't worry about getting Sunshine a friend. Sometimes cockatiels bond quite well with their human owners and with you being part of the flock, I think Sunshine accepts that. I have always been a one bird household and all the birds that I have homed did quite well by themselves. At times, my current tiel gets vocal, especially when it's near his bed time or a new sound but that is just the norm in our household. Just talk to Sunshine and show her that she is loved and she will be just fine.

Again, so sorry for you loss. Sending you virtual hugs ((( )))
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,310 Posts

Hi, and welcome! I am so sorry you have lost Tweets. I admire you for keeping him alive for all those years! My heart hurts for you. It is so hard to lose one. I think Sunshine will be fine. At her age, getting her a friend may not be the best decision, because at that age, getting another may cause her to be aggressive or not get along with a new one. Talk with her often, sit by her cage and eat a snack and give her a snack at the same time. Play music on a CD player or a radio for her. Also, go on youtube, and find a set of videos called cockatiel companion. If you have a Roku TV, you can stream those videos. My cockatiel, Penny, and budgie, Muffin love those videos. They watch them for hours on end.

We are here to support you. And will welcome your updates anytime.