where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Flock of 4 lovebirds becomes 3

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Flock of 4 lovebirds becomes 3

Hello! I am seeking your advice about my Lovies. Up until 2 weeks ago I had 4 lovebirds. Missy and Lailah, Baby Girl and Robin. They are all rescues. Lailah and Missy came to me as a bonded pair and Baby Girl and Robin are singles. Over the course of 4 years I have been able to house them in a large cage and have gotten along very well. The problem: Missy lost her bestie and she is now being slightly aggressive with the other girls. Robin and Baby Girl have not been hurt but I wonder if Missy will get worse. I keep close eyes on them and Missy understands when I say no biting and no fighting. My question is: Should I remove Missy from the two girls? She's just lost her friend and would taking her away from Robin and Baby Girl make her lonely? My apologies for posting this again as I did post it visitor message before I knew what I was sort of doing! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,310 Posts

Re: Flock of 4 lovebirds becomes 3

Hi, Liz, and welcome to the community. She probably is very distraught about losing her best friend. Lovebirds and other parrots can turn aggressive sometimes. And they can get very mean to the other birds. I suggest you put her in a cage next to the other two, and see how she reacts to being alone. Do your birds have our of cage time? I suggest, if so, then take Missy out alone and give her lots of attention. I would suggest you try bonding with her each day. Guthrie watch for her aggression towards you as well. I would say after a few weeks, you might consider getting her another friend, but I suggest going to the rescue to find one about her age, because, a baby, or younger one may also be treated aggressively by her. Often times same age works better.

I would also suggest putting a mirror in her cage, if you decide to out her in her own cage, until you may get her a friend.

We will welcome updates anytime.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Hi Ellen, thank you and I appreciate your reply. Yes, the girls get out of cage time daily in a large room and there is never a problem when they are out together. They have always been a little nippy with me but never aggressive. Missy hasn't become aggressive with me at all. She doesn't like my hand but when I'm with them she will fly onto my shoulder and walk all over me. They just went back into their house and all is quiet.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am very sorry for your loss of your little girl and I do hope that Missy will be OK in time. It is so hard on us and the other bird when one dies and hopefully your other two will let Missy become part of their little flock so she will have friends to sit with. Hugs to you for your loss.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Hi Deanna and thank you. It was such a shock because about a half hour earlier I had just given them their supper. She was fine and then not. I have Missy in a separate cage right now. As the day has gone by I've noticed BG is sitting on a particular perch where I find Missy bugs her the most. Could it be the perch? BG and Robin have been good all day.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,310 Posts

That is great news! I am happy for you that they are quiet together.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope it isnt that Baby Girl is sick and got to wonder if it is because she misses Missy and is sitting there because that was where Missy use to come and bother her. Birds grieve in there own way. But keep a close eye on her and watch for her tail bobbing or her seeming sleepy. Make sure she is eating and drinking. If she likes Millet give her some to see if she will eat it like normal. I really do hope she is OK and still thinking about you and hopefully you are doing OK. Losing them is hard on us as well.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Liz
    Thanks

She seems to be in quite good humour, eating and drinking well and not saying no to birdie bread. I do have a little Robin who is having a touch of spring fever!! How long will she be doing this for?? Can I leave her covered all day for some privacy?? I wouldn't do that.