Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: another egg!

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

another egg!

My daughter's love bird Bori lay another egg this morning. The last time, she laid one and promptly forgot about it. Luckily there weren't anymore then. It's been a couple of months, and here we go again with another egg. and it is also huge! she weighs 53g, and her egg was 4.2g 1 inch long and 3/4" wide. Poor little thing looked wiped out when I uncovered her this morning.
    the egg has been swapped with a dummy, hoping she doesn't have another lay in a couple of days. she really doesn't know what to do with them lol

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: another egg!

Whew!!! That really is a big egg! It is a miracle the egg popped out. You are feeding her well and giving her plenty of calcium, of I doubt she could have pushed it out. That goes for kudos to you, and your daughter. MJ. Keep us posted.

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

unfortunately, Bori crossed the rainbow bridge yesterday.
    I came home from work to find her laying on one of the eggs dead. my daughter had left the house a few hours earlier, and Bori seemed just fine. We are not totally certain what happened. she had laid another large egg the day before, so there were 2. she had also been chewing on things that weren't for her to chew. a hook in the kitchen, kitty litter, etc. her chewing had been a huge thing the last week, papers all over the floor. so we think that she just chewed the wrong thing and was poisoned.
    My daughter is devastated, and blaming herself. But, she adored that little bird and took very good care of her. Bori knew she was very loved.
    It's been a really hard year. 2 birds and our old cat have died so far. Im hoping to end this year very soon.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Sorry for you and your daughter, don't let her blaming herself, accidents can happen, but from what you're saying it mostly make me think of an egg binding. Lot of love and hugs for you and you daughter!