Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Strange Sitting Posture (w/ pics)

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Strange Sitting Posture (w/ pics)

Hi
    Five days ago, My little buddy flied right into a hot pot for 2 seconds, his legs, tail and little bit of his wings were in the pot.... how I wish I could turn back the time to get rid of that cursed pot. Anyway, the first couple of days he showed no injuries other than his unusually bright red leg with the slight inflammation. I called a vet immediately and he simply told me to use Betamethasone and Gentamicin ointments on his inflammation. On the third day, I noticed a shade of dark blue, slightly black, on the tips of his two toes. There was also some tiny scars on his feet. I was freaked out so I called another vet and I was told to wash the ointments right away and clean the legs with Chlorhexidine.
    Days have passed but my buddy is still in pain. He started to lift one of his legs up, and recently, he's lifting both of his feet up... he stands with his ankle... which makes him wobbly. Have you experienced anything like this before? can you share until I visit another avian vet? How long did it take for your avian friend to heal? or at least show signs of healing?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Strange Sitting Posture (w/ pics)

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,326 Posts

Aww! I am so sorry this happened. But don't be hard on yourself because accidents do happen on occasion and we know this was not on purpose.

I suggest you take a tiny amount of olive oil, and mix just a tiny amount of pure aloe vera juice, organic, together, and gently rub into the burns on the feet. Do not put this mix on feathers. I think it will take time to heal, but it will heal. Try to make him as comfortable as possible, and let him sit as much as he wants to sit.

I have read of birds that were burned that did make a recovery. Time and patience are on your side. Sending you and your bird gentle hugs! We will watch for updates.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Find an avian vet and have your bird examined right away. Without seeing the bird, how is a veterinarian supposed to make the right diagnosis? Is your bird eating and drinking?

Not trying to ruffle some feathers, this is why some owners have the wings trimmed on their pet birds so accidents like this don't happen. Also, your images are not available.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Aww! I am so sorry this happened. But don't be hard on yourself because accidents do happen on occasion and we know this was not on purpose.

I suggest you take a tiny amount of olive oil, and mix just a tiny amount of pure aloe vera juice, organic, together, and gently rub into the burns on the feet. Do not put this mix on feathers. I think it will take time to heal, but it will heal. Try to make him as comfortable as possible, and let him sit as much as he wants to sit.

I have read of birds that were burned that did make a recovery. Time and patience are on your side. Sending you and your bird gentle hugs! We will watch for updates.

Double thanks for the kind words, and triple thanks for the time and the energy you put in writing this reply.

Actually, on the first day I rubbed a little amount of olive oil on his feet but the next day I found out oils can be a double-edged blade. Oils can trap the burnt skin and cause it to get hotter. So it was a one-time thing I did.

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to keep it in my mind. *virtual hugs*

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pipers Mom View Post
    Find an avian vet and have your bird examined right away. Without seeing the bird, how is a veterinarian supposed to make the right diagnosis? Is your bird eating and drinking?

Not trying to ruffle some feathers, this is why some owners have the wings trimmed on their pet birds so accidents like this don't happen. Also, your images are not available.
    A big big thanks for your reply.

I did so, I sought after an avian vet but... how do I explain this... where I live they do not care about animal emergencies. Even though my cockatiel's case was considered vital to me with his legs being burnt and all, the clinic simply turned down our visit and told us that we should visit another time... like next week. Because the doctors.. I mean the vets are only available three hours a day. I tried calling other clinics, I found out the avian vets come to clinic only two to three days per week from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Therefore, I have to wait... unfortunately. Also this morning, I had to made a trip from East of Tehran to West but when we got there, they didn't care, nor they cared about my cockatiel. That's why I got the diagnosis only by one or two calls after paying them online.

My cockatiel is eating alright, he's still the same gourmand as he used to be. But I found out that he recently drinks a lot of water. He also preens himself, makes vocal sounds, and asks for a pet on the head. The only think I'm greatly worried about is his feet. I don't know how long it would take to heal.

I re-uploaded the pics on another website:
    http://www.upsara.com/images/w715870_.jpg
    http://www.upsara.com/images/m212329_.jpg

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Thanks for providing the pics, it helps a lot. Can you perch your tiel on your finger and see if it's feet bend around the finger? What I am concerned about is a potential infection on the foot leading towards the ankle/rear toe. To me, the skin is very raw and should be dressed, but then again, I am no veterinarian. Perhaps you can use like some antibiotic ointments such as A&D ointment or Neosporin and apply with a cotton swab. Use very little, not alot. Just lightly dab the injured area. I do recommend that your beloved tiel does see a vet.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pipers Mom View Post
    Thanks for providing the pics, it helps a lot. Can you perch your tiel on your finger and see if it's feet bend around the finger? What I am concerned about is a potential infection on the foot leading towards the ankle/rear toe. To me, the skin is very raw and should be dressed, but then again, I am no veterinarian. Perhaps you can use like some antibiotic ointments such as A&D ointment or Neosporin and apply with a cotton swab. Use very little, not alot. Just lightly dab the injured area. I do recommend that your beloved tiel does see a vet.
    Thanks again. From what I've seen my tiel has difficulty bending his fingers (toes? whatever they're called). It seems his feet doesn't have the strength for it yet.
    For disinfecting the wounds I've been using Chlorhexidine for my tiel, morns and nights. I'm not sure it it's effective since there is still no improvement in the overall health of his feet.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Chlorhexidine I believe is an ingredient in mouthwash. Some brands of mouthwash may contain alcohol and this is something you don't want your tiel to consume. Can you visit your local pet store to see if they have any ointments that are pet safe.

Birds usually start bending there feet at a young age. From looking at your pics, your tiel is old enough to bend his toes around your finger. I still would have that foot looked at by a professional.

Tiels: