where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: One Egg Fertile per Clutch

Name
    Corey
    Thanks

One Egg Fertile per Clutch

Hi,
    I have a breeding question. My lovebird pair is on their 3rd clutch this year. I know, too many for the year. Mom has laid 5-6 eggs each time, but only one egg is fertile each time. We have had 2 babies so far, and we are awaiting the hatching of the third one. I'm curious if anyone knows why we only get one fertile egg, and how to get them to take a break from breeding (other than to separate). We live in a rainy climate on the west coast of Canada.
    Thanks,
    Corey

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: One Egg Fertile per Clutch

Hi, and welcome to the community. How old are your lovebirds. If they are an older pair, sometimes the male sperm doesn't fertilize the eggs. Did you use a nest box for the eggs or somethingelse. What diet do you feed the pair?

It is very difficult to slow down egg laying and mating. Do not leave a nest box in the cage after eggs hatch. Nest boxes encourage egg laying.

Name
    Corey
    Thanks

Hi,
    Thanks for responding! They are quite young. Dad is 3.5 years and mom is 2 years. Weíve used a nest box each time and removed it when we took the baby out at about 4 weeks. Mom made a nest on the cage floor and laid the egg there. We attached the nest box to the cage and transferred the egg. They are on a seed diet with lots of variety of dried stuff in it. I mix together a few products and feed them that. I also give them a special dried veggie & fruit mix. They get Rodybush pellets but I donít think they eat them. They seem healthy.

Iíve bought some dummy eggs and a bowl type nest to discourage egg laying, but Iím not sure how to use them.
    Thanks,
    Corey

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

They are a good age, I would not consider them to be too old. The diet you are feeding is very good. It could be they are still immature enough that the mating is not quite right when they are in position.

The dummy eggs are fine. But do not use any type of next box at all. Any type nest will encourage more egg laying. Take a piece of paper towel and fold it, then place the dummy eggs on it and place the eggs in a corner on the cage floir. Each time the hrn lays an egg you can boil it and give back to hen, or, use the dummy. You must allow the hen to have the eggs on the cage floor for about 24 days or, until she doesn't pay any more attention to them, and abandons them. If you don't do this, the hen will just keep laying more eggs continuously.

We will watch for updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-04-2021 at 04:27 PM.

Name
    Corey
    Thanks

Thank you for the info!