Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New (confused) member and bad birdie mom...

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,329 Posts

Re: New (confused) member and bad birdie mom...

Oh my gosh! You are a miracle worker and she is A MIRACLE! I have never heard of a hen being egg bound for so long! Usually they die very soon unless they get to an avian get pronto!

I think you missed your calling! You should be an Avian vet yourself!! With the calcium and green veggies, hopefully the next egg will pop out and not get stuck! Congrats! Amazing!!

Name
    Fran
    Thanks

She is in her hospital cage in the window as a companion to Sassy, the cockatiel. It is an overcast day here in Florida, sadly, so she will not get the sun's healing, but she hasn't been willing to stay on the playground, so this is the next best thing. I have pictures but am unable to post them...

Yeah, I am actually stoked that she is still alive!!! She has been through a LOT. I did a lot of worrying about her beak condition, trimming, oiling, being sure she was eating... (she went through a LOT of sprays of millet because she could chew it off at an angle. That lasted about a month.) Then there was the time I trimmed it too close...AAAUGH!!! a whole day of corn starch application!!!! I have to get a file...better than my jewelry wire cutters now that her beak is not just dead tissue. I am not sure if she will get that hook back on the end, but she is a smart little thing and seems to adjust to whatever is there.

I have a good memory for an old lady and I read and research a LOT!!! That helps when I can't afford the basics like a vet!

With the amount of sleep and the amount of darkness she gets, I don't even see how or why she is still laying eggs. Of course it is not TOTAL blackness, maybe that is why. I have to have a 24hr light on for me to be able to ambulate the apartment. It is a 30w and is 4 yards from the covered cage. Hmmm...thicker blanket maybe.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well you are awesome. In this day and cage avian vets are very expensive, so you are sure to keep doing your research. And treating them yourself, if possible. I fully understand budgets! I too am older, so understand your need for the night lights. Keep your updates coming. I love to read them!

As to the continued egg laying, I think that is because she considers you her mate, and she truly loves you! Therefore, she is keeping the hormones going and thus the eggs!

Name
    Fran
    Thanks

Awww...you are sweet. I am glad I ordered the Calcium supplement, then! She is also starting to molt, which she hasn't done since I got her. I guess the change in diet helped that, too. Of course, Sassy is molting as well and wants LOTS of skritches! For an anti-social bird he has been a lot more affectionate since the "b#@!@" is gone. LOL He actually came to the corner of the cage to beg to get out this morning. (He wasn't out yesterday at all as I was in and out the front door most of the day)

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I think you will notice even more difference in both after a few weeks of eating the fresh veggies and the calcium. I will watch for updates.