where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Training/Taming Two Young Budgies

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Patti
    Thanks

Training/Taming Two Young Budgies

I got two male budgies about three weeks ago. One is about three months old, the other is about five months old. They are quite bonded to each other and quite sweet (adorable, to tell the truth). They will both eat millet out of my hand, and one is willing to climb onto my hand for long periods while eating. The other has also hopped on. But only to eat. I'd like to finger train them, with the point being for them to be out of the cage. So far, they've only been in the cage.
    Is this the right procedure? Must I finger train them before allowing them out of the cage? That seems reasonable, but I'm a bit concerned we won't ever get to that point.

And on the subject of being out of the cage: their cage is in the main room I'm usually in -- which is a living room/kitchen combo with a stairway leading to the second floor. There is another a sitting room that seems safer to let them out in (at least at first). Is it recommended that I bring them in the sitting room first to let them fly around? Or will bringing them in there scare them?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,338 Posts

Re: Training/Taming Two Young Budgies

Hi and welcome to you and your precious baby budgies. You are doing great with them already. It is best to take them to a small room such as a bedroom and do some training. Take a wooden dowel or a small perch and use that for the step up. Get some millet sprigs at the pet shop and use them during training. Take the dowel or small perch and gently press into their tummy area. That will automatically make them step up. Then take a sprig of the millet and let them eat millet off the top of the sprig. Practice this exercise often. And when you want them to step up on your finger do the same thing. Soon, they will be used to your hands and fingers and the perches and you can try all kinds of fun exercises with them. It is always a good idea to turn off ceiling fans when they are flying and use a smaller room for play. I would consider getting a small play gym for them at the pet shop and place it in the room you will be spending time with them. Set it up with a few toys and also some fresh green veggies, seeds, millets, etc. And whatever else you might try.

Use the millets and fresh greens to lure them back to their cage, or other treats of your choice.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Patti
    Thanks

Thank you for this advice. Is it imperative that I train them to get on the dowel before encouraging them to be out of the cage?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Not necessarily. The good thing about some training is that you are bonding with them at the same time and they are getting used to your hands. All budgies and other parrots are afraid of hands at first. It is just nature's way of protecting them. I would suggest you either buy or make a butterfly net. They are very useful to catch budgies when they are out flying. You will find they love to fly and the higher the better. Often, they land on curtain rods. Using the net will be better because you don't have to chase them all over, and also toweling them is very frightening for them.

Training takes time. So be patient and take it in baby steps. You will find they will be your best friends. Budgies are hardy, loving and very happy birds. They love swings and their seeds, water and foods. You can put a couple of three toys in the cage, and then change them out with others. I do not recommend shredding toys, because if they chew tiny pieces, and swallow them, they can get caught in the stomach or in the intestine. Ideally, making your own toys with some natural wood blocks and leather strips is the best and most safe.

Just take day to day. Try using the smaller room for them to fly free, at first. And the more training they receive the better control you have of them. And...praise, praise, praise them when they do something we you asked them such as step up. Good boy...good girl...that was great, etc. etc. And also, sit by their cage and read them a little children's book. Eat a snack while sitting there and give them treats. Also, play music on a CD or radio for them. Budgies love music, and they also like the disney channel and cartoons.
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-13-2021 at 07:58 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Patti
    Thanks

Thanks for this. I appreciate it. I've been reading them a murder mystery , and they LOVE, LOVE, LOVE "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (Iz version). They are quite supportive of one another, and though they have very separate, distinct personalities, they seem to have each others' backs in their own ways. I will definitely invest in a butterfly net. This weekend, I'll move them into the sitting room, which is smaller and more manageable for us all. Thank you so much!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Patti
    Thanks

Also, any recommendations on which butterfly net to purchase?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It does not have to be real big, but the handle should be fairly long. Try to find one with the finest netting possible, so they cannot rip the net with their feet. They are doing great. That's a neat book you are reading to them!
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-15-2021 at 09:39 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Patti
    Thanks

Thanks so much. I've moved them into a sitting room, because I thought that would be best for getting them out of the cage (other area is quite open, with access to upstairs). They came pretty readily, which is good. They spent about 45 minutes out of the cage today and went back in on their own. They haven't really gone out again, but I'm sure they will.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Wow!! That is awesome! Very few that young will ever go back into their cage. They are your best friends already to do that! Keep up the awesome bonding and training with them.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Patti
    Thanks

Definitely at an impasse. I'm ready for the next steps in training.The current status is: the budgies fly out of the cage, but they are only interested in staying either on top of the cage, or inside their cage. Their comfort level with me has not reached the next level. The outgoing one, Leon, will hop on my finger in the cage, but when I begin to move him out of the cage, he flies back in. I can't get him past that threshold. Whenever he's out of the cage, he has no interest in hopping on my finger. The fearful one, Francois, has hopped on my finger a couple of times in the cage, but he is quite afraid. When they fly around the room, they (mostly Francois) will sometimes fly low over my head. I'd like to get them both well-trained. I'd like them to be comfortable sitting on my shoulder, for example, and interacting with me. I did see a youtube video, in which a woman suggested stick training, but then didn't demonstrate what you were really supposed to do. Are there any next steps I should take? Should I try to separate them to train them? Put Francois in a separate room while I try to train Leon? Or would that be cruel (they're very bonded). Should I remove their food at night, and see if they'll eat their breakfast from my hand in the morning? Any tips at all, or resource recommendation, would be great.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You can try training one at a time. Use your bedroom or a smaller room in the home. Be sure to pull down blinds and or close curtains so the bird cannot fly into the window, if you have mirrors on the wall, cover them or take them down so he cannot fly into them, and if you have ceiling fan in the room turn it off.

Take an unsharpened pencil and use it for the perch. Get a package of millet sprigs at the petshop. Take a sprig of it and use in training. First, take the pencil and slowly push it slightly into his tummy area. That will make him stand on the perch. Then, take the millet sprig, and hold it towards him, and let him eat some millet off the sprig. Repeat this exercise several times. Then put him back in his cage, and bring the other bird into the room and do the same training. Also, try placing your bird on your shoulder and offer him some millet off the millet sprig. You can let him eat off the top of the millet sprig, and also put some millet seeds in your hand and see if he will eat some. Practice these training ideas a couple of times a day with each one of them.

Training is always on going. Time and patience are always on your side. Also,consider getting them a play gym. That will keep them in one place in an area where you spend time. Chop up several veggies, put them on a plate and sprinkle some seeds and about a teaspoon of unsweetened apple juice on the top and place the mix on a plate on the outside top of their cage. This might entire them out of the cage. And also, put a small plate of the mix on the bottom floor of the play gym.

As they get a little older they will be more trusting of your hands. All birds fear our hands. We will welcome updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-13-2021 at 11:29 AM.