Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Is my budgie hormonal?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Red face Is my budgie hormonal?

Hello!
    I have two female budgies name Sky and Kiwi who are both females and are very well bonded! So theyíve been recently trying to go in my short sleeve of my shirt, going on other peoples shirts and constantly roaming around any jackets and sweaters they can fund kyung around. They are a year and a half old. This has been going in for a while and was wondering if this is making them hormonal. They donít bite too often, only when there moody. They also seem to fight sometimes for these spots which concerns me because they love each other. Do your budgies roam all over you? Because they canít stand in my finger for more than 5 seconds. Iíve tried wearing different clothing to stop these stimulations, but they always find a different way. Please let me know what to do or how to stop this behaviour.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,329 Posts

Re: Is my budgie hormonal?

Well they sound like lovebirds!!!!,. That is what they like to do! I have to tell you two female budgies can be a hand full if one or both start laying eggs. A budgie is very protective of her eggs, and will not want the other female to have anything to do with them and that can cause aggression. So, if one does lay eggs or an egg, I would get another cage to put the other budgie in until the one who laid the eggs is done nesting with them. The hen will need to have her eggs for about 25 days or until she abandons them. Do not give them a nest box. Put any eggs laid in one corner of the cage floor on a folded piece of paper towel. This is another reason for the other hen to be in its own cage. Otherwise the other hen will want to nest with them too, and that will cause more trouble.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you so much for replying! However, I wasn’t concerned if they’ll ever lay eggs, but if going into shirts and coats will encourage nesting. Is this normal for them to do? I don’t want eggs anytime in my or their future so I’m wondering if this will encourage her.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,329 Posts

Yes, that does encourage nesting so I would not allow them to do it. You can put them back in their cage if that happens. Now I will say we cannot stop egg laying. We can discourage it, but mother nature decides. Single hens can lay eggs even though they have no male mate. And two females can sometimes be so attracted to each other, one or both can lay eggs.