Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Nesting budgies

Name
    Johanna
    Thanks

Red face Nesting budgies

So its year or more when, my girl budgie made a accident eggs bottom of her cage.
    But now i planned to really make a real nesting available, its going good i think. So far she laid 2 eggs in the nest, sits there all day and night. Quickly eats and drinks and "rushes" back to nest.
    She did start to incubate already when the first one arrived. So far she have been doing good.
    Or did she start too fast should have waiting for the second one before starting, i did read somewhere.

Name
    Johanna
    Thanks

Re: Nesting budgies

Thought i dont know if i made a right decision, since their mating behaviour went nuts. Mating most of the time, and fighting. (female) was attacking the male, hormones maybe. Then i did put a real nesting box, she went right in it.
    She did just mess around in there for week, then the first egg appeared. No fighting with the male now thought.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,338 Posts

Hi, and welcome back, Johanna. I think she will be fine. Some hens start to hear earlier than others. I think you did exactly what you should have by putting in the box. How she is happy and setting already. The male usually will will not be allowed in the nest box until the first egg hatches, so do not be surprised to see him outside the box all of the time. He will also sleep on the perches at night. The eggs should hatch in about 21-23 days. You will know the first egg is hatched when suddenly the male will jump right into the nest box. He will feed the hen by regurgitating his seeds to her and she will then feed the babies.

It is best not to look in the nest too often when the eggs hatch, but you do need to check to be sure the babies are being fed because the more babies to feed it is harder for male to keep up with feeding her and then her feeding the babies. If you see any evidence of the babies looking pale or bluish in color around the head of mouth area, and the skin on the babies looks pale or bluish then the babies are not getting enough to eat.

It is a good idea to go to let shop and to buy a can of baby bird feeding powder, along with a syringe. Then, go on youtube and search.handfeeding baby budgies. The videos are great. They will help you alot. If you have to handfeed any of them, unless mom or dad is being aggressive or mean toward them, when you handfeed one, you can put it back with mom in the nest. The formula has great vitamins and minerals and will help give the babies a great start.

If parents are feeding them, you won't have to feed, but it is always good to have the can of formula handy just in case.

Do keep us updated and we will help you out with questions, etc. Good luck!
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-19-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Name
    Johanna
    Thanks

Im happy but worried at the same time, since its going good. Female sleeping in the box and male right next to on hes special place i made close. One egg seems to be a real deal. Even its just 3 days old, other eggs came this morning so nothing to see in there atleast not yet I did try just to check in once a day, i dont want to touch the eggs or anything in the next with my coffee shaking fingers lol

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You are doing great and they are too. It really is a fun experience. I had one pair years ago who had four eggs. All hatched and they used beautiful babies, 2 looked like mom and two looked like dad. I was fortunate all went well. And the parents fed them well.

The eggs should be laid every other day. If that does not happen, and another egg is laid a day or so later, then that egg is considered a new clutch of eggs.
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-19-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Name
    Johanna
    Thanks

The first egg came 3days ago, did even mark it in my calendar. Also that the second one should come around sooner. But i just check only during morning whats in the nest. Could have been second day for the egg, if it came during the night hours.
    Really hope it goes nice, like yours did and all the birds grow healthy and survive.
    Did also check my closest petstore, for the formula good think they got it, and the syringes.
    Bot birds are cinnamon coloured too, male with a yellow face,turquoise and green, hard to wait what they are going to look a like.

Name
    Johanna
    Thanks

Just 2 eggs so far, yesterday i did check the nest last time thought. Did wait till Bluebell wanted to for a snack.
    I did use my phone brightlight for the eggs, and the oldest egg is half pink/shady little reddish. Other one totally white.
    Going to give this new maybe mom total peace now atleast, seems that she even sits in her nest all night long, and several hours during the day

Dont have any friends with birds but here its nice to share this scary and wonderful thing.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That first egg does indicate an embryo is developing. You can see tiny red veins. Your pair sound beautiful in feather colors. I will be excited to see what your babies look like if the eggs hatch! Yes, it is worriesome but also exciting at the same time. Another suggestion I have for you is to not put any nesting material in the box now. I did alot of research on this and budgie moms like to perch tiny pieces of the bottom of the wooden box and use that for the nesting material. Now if you do have some in the box already, then leave it, just don't put much in the box because when babies are hatched they can smother in it, or their legs can get splayed. It is best to never disturb the nest after she starts laying the eggs. When the eggs hatch, we can discuss this again then.

I had no intention of ever breeding, but at the time, I had what I thought were five males, until one day they all got into a fight, and my budgie, Pete even sprained his foot! Lolol. Come to find out, the next day, I saw Nikki one of the boys mating with Buttercup, so I put them in their own cage, put in a nest box. And it all went like clock work. I had no problems at all, but like you, I sure would worry if the babies (eggs) would hatch. And if I as doing it all correctly.
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-20-2021 at 11:12 AM.