Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Nauseous Budgie Mr Rudy :budgiehop

Name
    Nina Anlezarck
    Thanks

Exclamation Nauseous Budgie Mr Rudy :budgiehop

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is keeping well with this crazy world we live in! Been a while since Iíve been on here.

Mr Rudy is doing well since recently. We had a bad episode with our pest control accidentally poisoning Mr Rudy which lead to a week long vet stay; thankfully he came out fighting He also had some bruising on his keel/breast because his wings were clipped to much by the person we purchased him from, but he now has almost all his feathers thank goodness! This almost full wing feathers has presented a new problem which we need help for

He flies very well around the house and has discovered that the shower is a GREAT place to be.. We canít shower without Mr Rudy wanting to have one with either of us.. Gosh he LOVES the shower! (Iíll insert an after shower look of Mr Rudy). Although he loves (obsession I should say) the shower he has become very confident with his landing and flying but he gets very puffy, nauseated and drowsy after flying. If he flies for an extended time (1-2 mins) he vomits almost immediately after.. Weíve tried to limit his flying to avoid him not feeling well after the adventures around the house but he is soooo attached to myself and hubby. Kisses and snuggles galore! Oh and the regurgitated food? Pfft thatís on the daily!

Iíve come to the conclusion that after his poison sickness his lungs canít operate at full capacity. Which is concerning because for a birdy to not fly is just really, really heartbreaking. Advice on what you guys think and what you suggest we should do would be appreciated. Also we spoke to our avian vet and he said it may or may not be because of his previous sickness.
    Nina, Joe and Rudy

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,338 Posts

Re: Nauseous Budgie Mr Rudy :budgiehop

Hi, Nina, and welcome back to you and Mr. Rudy. I was sorry to read of the accident, but thankfully, he survived it. I too think that he may have some lung damage, and it is just too much for him to be out flying free. I understand your thoughts about his love for flying completely. You know, there are some of us who have budgies, cockatiels, and other bird pets that cannot allow our birds to fly free because of rental lease rules. I am one of those people. My little budgie, Muffin, is 10 years old, and has never been out of his cage to fly. My cockatiel, Penny, is 3 years old and he too has never been out of cage flying. Both of them are very healthy, and get along fine in their cages. They play with their toys, Muffin loves his swing, and his treats and so does Penny.

I think for budgies and other caged birds, having to take them to the vet is very stressful. I would suggest you get him a small play gym. Is his cage a bigger cage? If so, when it is playtime, take out the perches, and set the play gym on the cage floor. Put some seeds, fresh veggies, and treats on the play gym floor, and see if Mr. Rudy will play there. This way, he does not need to fly, and use his lungs, but yet, he is going to have a fun activity without compromising breathing.

I have homed budgies for many years. They are loving, full of spirit, intelligent, and adapt well. My budgie, Muffin has been blind for almost three years. But that does not stop him from having a normal life. I leave everything in his cage exactly as it was before he lost his sight, and he can find it all. He even plays with his mirror girlfriends.

Are you giving Mr. Rudy some vitamins? If you feed a seed only diet, get a bottle of birdy vitamins at the pet shop, and put a few drops, mixed in with the seed about once every 10 days. That will help him to rebuild his health and immunity.

We will watch for updates!!! Sending many scritches to Mr. Rudy.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-18-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Name
    Nina Anlezarck
    Thanks

Hi, thanks for the advice! Much needed. Sorry to hear about not being able to let them fly free, but glad to hear they are happy

Well crisis averted again today.. He flew into the kitchen chasing my husband and the stove was on luckily my husband gave him a little swat/push away from the stove. New problems now finding a fire proof cover for my stove.. Any suggestions?

Thing with Rudy is that he is super attached to both of us and if he is left alone he wants to see where you’re going so he follows, (he cries if locked in the cage, we carried him around for 3-4 months because of his severe wing clipping from the guy we purchased him from, this was so he didn’t hurt himself trying to come to us) 99.9% of the time someone is with him but unfortunately when those circumstances aren’t the case he tries to find us.. If the circumstances don’t fit and neither of us are in the room we will put him on his little play set that is on the floor to which he is always perched on a finger from the cage to the play set. He’s usually content with that but for some reason he wasn’t today.. What vitamins do you suggest? Since we’ve had him (September 2020) he has been eating regular budgie seed mix with a side of veggies which include but aren’t limited to carrots, broccoli, spinach, sweet corn, peas, parsley, cabbage, Brussel sprouts, sweet potato, pumpkin and many more.. I mean this little guy is spoilt rotten and those veggies get changed up every week to give him variety. Oh and he dislikes fruit.. What birdie hates fruit? He also gets cuttle bone a few times a week and treats of millet spray. You’d think I’ve got a healthy as healthy can be birdie but he sure has a lot of character and cheekiness about him. Sad to remember but when he was really sick the vet said he has never seen a budgie with so much character.. I mean this kid just talks and talks and talks. He’s very intelligent on the side of talking/repeating words eg; Rudy pretty boy, Rudy pretty birdie, Good morning tooty, Grandma pretty, Grandpa pretty. This kids vocabulary has really taken a crazy wild turn for the good which is why we’ve become so attached to him (more so my husband)..

What adventures will he have today after I’ve sent this reply? God only knows.. haha
    Nina, Joe and Rudy

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,338 Posts

Awww! What a special and smart little guy. With all the good foods and seeds he is having, I don't think you need the vitamins. Just my opinion. I suggest you check with the vet and see what he thinks about giving him some.

We have a member, Deanna...Boomer Girl who had a lovebird that was really like a person. She posts here often. I hope she sees your posts. She may be able to suggest how to curtail him on those times such as flying into the kitchen when you are cooking. Her Boomer, had his own plate of food at the table when the family ate meals!

Enjoy Mr. Rudy!! What a special friend and fid he is, for sure!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

LOL.... Sweet little Boomer was spoiled rotten and its always funny to read peoples post about him eating meals with us. Our family would have it no other way except Boomer because he would rather be in the big bowl of food instead of eating politely from his own dish He was a sickly boy and him eating with us was a way for us to get food into him which was everything because without him being spoiled rotten he may have never lived a good full life with his issues.

He had his wings cut a little bit so he couldn't fly perfectly to get into so much trouble but he still flew. When we cooked he went back to his cage, it was just safer that way. Yes he hated it and was very vocal telling us he hated it but we did not listen. Once the food was done just like Ellen said he had his own plate at the table to eat with us. I made sure to cook him foods he could eat but he didnt always get all the foods we ate due to seasoning or that fact his belly had major issues and he just couldnt eat some things without causing him grief. Tikki my daughters bird now eats meals with them so Tikki is just about as spoiled as little boomer was. BUT please put Rudy in his cage when your cooking, it is just better for him to be safe. Birds are so fast and if he actually flew into the stove area very bad things could happen. No doubt it would hurt you forever if he got burned or worse so the little bit of time he hates life locked in his cage is well worth it.

I would love to hear Rudy talking! Talking birds have such sweet voices that make me smile like crazy. Tikki talks good too and he just charms my heart with his voice.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Nina Anlezarck
    Thanks

Hi Deanna,

Oh Boomer sounds like a very special birdie we’ve started to lock him in the cage during coooking/stove still hot, but I put his veggies in the cage during this time so he is occupied. I have some videos of his talking but not sure how to put it on this forum..
    Nina, Joe and Rudy

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Boomer was very spoiled and now we have our daughters bird Tikki to spoil and boy is ever a talker and he is eats family meals as well. I am happy Rudy is in his cage when you cook. They really do hate it but they are perfectly fine once they get back out to eat the food with us. I dont know how to post videos here but if you do a search you might find a post to do it here. I know I one of our lovebird guys here posts videos but have no clue how he does it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.