where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Attracting hummingbirds

Brand New Egg
    Name
    melissa seed
    Thanks

Attracting hummingbirds

If you are a hummingbird lover? then you will love to attract these beautiful small birds to your garden. These birds can increase the beauty of any garden. Most people use the hummingbird's feeders filled with nectar to attract the hummers. It's the best way way to attract hummers. But you can also see here some more steps to attract the hummingbirds. But make sure you don't have any harmful things in your garden, which can be dangerous for birds.
    Last edited by Kiara; 03-03-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Attracting hummingbirds

I love the hummingbirds!!! I set up a hummingbird feeder at the campground I work at and it is right where everyone checking into the campground / lake can see it at the front gate. The silly hummers fly in to get drinks when we have huge lines of people waiting to be checked in. One of the girls has been around for years and she will fly in thru our open windows to let us know when her feeder is empty. At first we use to freak out thinking she would get hurt but nope she flies in and gets in our face and then flies right out. Silly little girl is just demanding we feed her.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I love my annual visitors. I have a hummingbird feeder nearby my kitchen window. I mainly have the ruby throats. They sometimes help themselves to the nectar out of the oriole feeder too. Such amazing little creatures. I just love how they hover and I find it even more amusing when they get territorial with other hummers.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I love the hummingbirds!!! I set up a hummingbird feeder at the campground I work at and it is right where everyone checking into the campground / lake can see it at the front gate. The silly hummers fly in to get drinks when we have huge lines of people waiting to be checked in. One of the girls has been around for years and she will fly in thru our open windows to let us know when her feeder is empty. At first we use to freak out thinking she would get hurt but nope she flies in and gets in our face and then flies right out. Silly little girl is just demanding we feed her.
    Deanna, you need to get that silly hummingbird on video.. That is hilarious!!
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Thanks Melissa for posting the information about attracting hummingbirds. I noticed the hummingbird feeder in the article came from Wild Birds Unlimited. I just love that store!! You may pay more for a feeder but they do guarantee their products. My lid on the hummingbird feeder needed to be replaced where the plastic holes are. It just cracked! Brought it back to the store and no questions asked. Also, WBU sells kits on how to attract hummingbirds and other seasonal visitors.

Here is a link:
    https://www.wbu.com/store-locator/

Tiels:

Thanks

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Here is a link to track the adorable nectar eating beauties. I use this map each year. It will probably be another week or two when I bring out my feeder.
    https://www.hummingbird-guide.com/hu...ation-map-2021

Tiels:

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Our hummingbird at the lake stays year round because it doesnt snow there but where I live it is higher in elevation and it snows the hummers go away but I still leave my feeder out just because sometimes they do stay. One year one of the hummers use to winter under our little snow shed we have out our back door which was cute but it always made me sad it was out in such in cold weather. I think our neighbor feeds them year round.

I should try to get a video of our silly lake hummingbird buzzing me when I dare get close to its feeder. It is just too quick and fast when the silly girl flies through our window to demand we fill her feeder up. It always is funny but rather shocking to have it buzz your face inside our little gatehouse.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I usually put my hummingbird feeder up closer to the first part of May. I then put up the oriole feeder about the middle of May. I wish I could see hummers all year round but those they would not survive a Michigan winter. They are amazing creatures and fun to watch. I have seen them sit with the orioles and share nectar.

Tiels: