where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Feather picking

Parakeets breeding Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stacey
    Thanks

Unhappy Feather picking

After a bout with FRENCH MOLT in my Avairy I have 6 left that do not have all their feathers back. They are in a separate cage that I roll in at sunset to keep them warm. 1 budgie has started plucking feathers. This has been going on for a week that I know of. She has lots of toys, 5 friends, has carrots and dried salad herbs, occasionally fresh grass only for a few hours in the morning. The rest of the day is mixed seeds.
    The French Molt is cleared up in the Avairy. I cover them at 8:00 so they get plenty of sleep.
    Anyone have have any ideas what to do or where I might be able to find a little sweater or collar for her, and should I separate her out by herself. I thought keeping her in a small flock would be better and they are not tamed. The others are growing some flights and tail feathers and will go back into the Avairy soon. Please HELP. I live in Southern California.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: Feather picking

Hi and welcome to the forum. Go to a petshop and look for a leather collar. They are fairly hard to find however. I don't think yarn would work, because she may pick on the yarn. How old are the babies? Try using a tiny bit of organic aloe Vera juice on her feathers. That may stop her from plucking. Usually, all birds will do some plucking due to dry skin. The aloe juice will be soothing and soften her skin. We will welcome updates.

Parakeets breeding Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stacey
    Thanks

Thank you Ellen. I was wondering about Aloe? I have a plant growing in my yard. I’ll break a piece off and just rub the aloe on her skin directly.. I take it that it is safe for budgies. Do you know if it’s ok to squeeze a little in there water.

I do not have any babies at this time. They just look like babies because they have no tail feathers or flight feather. The store I purchase from told me to take out all the nesting boxes for at least 3 months or more and stop feeding them fresh grass and veggies.. The owner also said not to worry about the French Molt. He said it was partly from over breeding and as the babies were the only ones coming out with the FM.

I had a necropsy done at a lab down here from UC Davis in Riverside. Frank the owner of the store I shop at told me to save my money and feed them shredded carrots in the morning and seed in the afternoon. It cured the FM. Over here where I live the avian vets are far and few. $125 after I had a necropsy at $145. Then extra for blood work and other test. It turned out it was FRENCH MOLT. I would have spent over $500 for the same findings.

Anyway making a short story long(COVID loneness) I’ve managed to save 16 and return them to the flight Avairy. 6 are still in a smaller breeding cage which I bring in at night for warmth. About 8 had died. My outside avairy has a heat lamp. Breeding boxes will go back in next month and I let all my keets choose there own mates. I get some wonderful unusual colores.

This is just a hobby for me. I use to give my keets to me 2nd grade students if there parents approved. Since I retired 2 years ago I now sell them to the bird store to cull them and occasionally get a few new one to change up the blood line. It’s very fun and calming to watch them play and guess what color is going to pop out. They all have such unique characteristics as are a delight to watch there antics.

Thank again for your help.
    Last edited by iyecats; 03-16-2021 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Make spelling corrections

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Yes, we do need some hobby, or something to do each day to cope with the covoid. And you are to be admired and thanked because you are helping others at the same time. That sure is kind of you. Yes, Avian vets are very expensive in most areas. Most of them are very well educated though. I hope your breeding all turns out for the best for you.

Do this on line research.. using aloe vera for broken budgie tail feathers. Also....is aloe vera safe to use on budgie plucked feathers. There should be some great info on the subject. Also do a search...how to treat budgies who pluck their feathers. Try these searches before you use the aloe vera plant, just on the side of caution.

We will watch for updates.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

You can buy sprays made specially for birds that is just aloe and water in it. Or you can make your own with just a few drops of Pure Aloe juice and distilled water. It does help the feathers and the Aloe juice is also good for us. I used it recently on my Poisen Oak and it really did calm my itch.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.