where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Meet my budgies!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Emma
    Thanks

Meet my budgies!

I brought home my first pair of budgies on Saturday! They settled in super quickly and have been very active, vocal and eating and drinking very well. Experienced my first handling session today with a little bit of food lure and was the the most amazing feeling to have them sitting on my fingers! I am not sure what genders they are. Despite reading so many articles I can't seem to get it into my head what color the cere is for young budgies. Can't wait to let them out of their aviary soon!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: Meet my budgies!

Hi, Emma, and welcome! Your budgies are sooooo precious and beautiful. What are their names? They are doing great for you just bringing them home. Congratulations and do keep us updated!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Emma
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, Emma, and welcome! Your budgies are sooooo precious and beautiful. What are their names? They are doing great for you just bringing them home. Congratulations and do keep us updated!!!
    Thank you Ellen They don't have names yet but my Mum and I have lots of ideas: Bobby, Louie, Lumio & Bumble are our favorites We're waiting to see what gender they are. I think they might be boys but am not 100% certain.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I love the names you are considering! I love to read all new bird names! Folks really have a great ability to come up with some neat and unique names, for sure! We will watch for your updates!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Emma
    Thanks

I love the names you are considering! I love to read all new bird names! Folks really have a great ability to come up with some neat and unique names, for sure! We will watch for your updates!
    Thank you! Actually I have to give my Mum credit for most of these. She has an amazing ability to come up with the perfect name and has named a lot of my animals.

They are doing great. They're so sweet and funny to watch the way they preen and play with each other. You can imagine the excitement that follows when the neighbors let their lorikeets outside for their daily flights and land on the tree outside the budgies window! They start screeching at the tops of their voices at the lorries, and it's so funny to watch! Don't worry I won't be letting mine fly outside, but I will be letting them out into their room daily. I think they've settled in enough to come out so I'll be putting some finishing touches to the room and opening the door to see if they want to come out tomorrow! So excited to see them free!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Emma
    Thanks

Still haven't quite settled on names yet but the one who is looking increasingly like a little boy has been coming out for occasional flights around the room which is awesome. He does seem to have trouble finding his way back, but fortunately will hop onto my finger or food bowl to be carried back to the aviary. As I write this he suddenly flew around the room over my head and landed on the side of the aviary I think the other one is a girl

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

LOL... he must of known you were talking about him not being able to find his way back home
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Aww! Budgies are such amazing and loving little birds! Yours are doing great!!! We will watch for your updates!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Emma
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    LOL... he must of known you were talking about him not being able to find his way back home
    I bet! They're flight muscles are definitely stronger and they're getting more confident zooming around the room. They have a favorite place on the windowsill and spend ages looking out the window and talking to each other which is so sweet to watch.

Aww! Budgies are such amazing and loving little birds! Yours are doing great!!! We will watch for your updates!
    Thanks! I'm really enjoying them. They're such great company through the day and so funny to watch their antics. I think we're calling the girl Bindi and the boy Poe.
    I'm so relieved that I managed to transition them to pellets and veggies, for a few days they were only interested in seeds. Next I'll be trying to introduce sprouts. Wish me luck!!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Oh, I love those names you chose. Do you plan on giving them some seeds as well as the pets? And other foods. I would suggest you mix 70% seed and 30% pellets. Budgies, being so small, do not drink a lot of water, and pellets are very dry, so it is best to mix seeds and pellets because seeds do have moisture which is need for looser, but not, real loose droppings. Also try feeding some fresh leaf lettuce to them. Hang some in the cage, and or shred some and put on a plate on the cage floor. You also could put a plate on the top of the cage with seeds, pellets, lettuce, and other foods you feed.

Keep us updated. I love to hear all about them.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Emma
    Thanks

Oh, I love those names you chose. Do you plan on giving them some seeds as well as the pets? And other foods. I would suggest you mix 70% seed and 30% pellets. Budgies, being so small, do not drink a lot of water, and pellets are very dry, so it is best to mix seeds and pellets because seeds do have moisture which is need for looser, but not, real loose droppings. Also try feeding some fresh leaf lettuce to them. Hang some in the cage, and or shred some and put on a plate on the cage floor. You also could put a plate on the top of the cage with seeds, pellets, lettuce, and other foods you feed.

Keep us updated. I love to hear all about them.
    I will! Yes I have done all those things except the plate on top of the cage But I do handfeed them their pellet & seed which makes them really excited to see me.
    So far they've tried peas, lettuce, capsicum, egg, shredded carrot (which they love), beetroot (which turned them red!), and a bit of tasty vitamin paste which I added for an extra supplement boost. They're exploring more of the room now only go back into their aviary for meals, sleeps and bedtime. Bindi has taken to landing on whatever I'm holding, my laptop or my book, and tasted the page I was reading lol
    Last edited by theanimalperson; 03-24-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Wow!! They are doing great!!!! I love your choice of various veggies! That is great!