Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Switching nesting boxes?

Thanks

Switching nesting boxes?

have had 2 cockatiels, a male and a female, for over 6 years. We got a male first and then when we got a female, she was already pregnant and laid an egg but it dropped to the bottom of the cage. For around 4 years, she has started mating with our male cockatiel but they have never had babies. Around 2 years ago, they had started roaming around the room and found cardboard in a dark corner and started chewing it up and hiding in there. I added a nesting box in order to prevent her laying and egg on a perch but they went in and out and never laid an egg.

A few days ago, I found them behind the couch chewing up cardboard, so I added a nesting box in their cage. Since they had been trying for several years I did not expect them to lay an egg, I had made a nesting box from a 12 by 10 by 5 box (which is really short) and added some carboard for them to chew on. Yesterday, I had found out she laid an egg, but I know the box doesn't have the proper bedding, height, and has large pieces of carboard inside. I want to change the nesting box to a more suitable one, but I am unsure what problems this would pose to the cockatiels. I tried to do as much research as I can but was unable to find reliable information on this topic. I was hoping to get some advice on here!

Some other information about my cockatiels is that they are mainly on a seed diet but get carrots everyday and occasionally get apples. They live in one cage with 2 presumably female budgies, and have been doing so since 5 years ago. The cage is around approximately 12 by 24 and 36 inches in height, but we leave the cage open at all times to have access to the house. The age of the cockatiels are both unknown.
    Last edited by Shanti_P; 04-05-2021 at 09:58 AM. Reason: need to add tags

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,338 Posts

Re: Switching nesting boxes?

Hi, and welcome to the community. I would suggest you go to a pet shop and purchase a cockatiel nest box. They are not very expensive. Put the box in your cage and then put the egg in the box. Both male and female will enter the box. Then the hen will lay the rest of her clutch. I think this is the best way for you to nest them because those wooden boxes are safe, secure, and made especially for a pair.

It is early enough that the first egg should be fine, and the rest she lays will also be fine. When the eggs are about ten days old, candle them by using a pen light flash light and look inside of each egg, and then carefully put each egg back in the nest box. Look for tiny red veins inside each egg, and look for the embryo. If you see both, then the egg is fertile and hopefully it will hatch.

If you don't see any egg or embryo, then the eggs will not hatch, but you must let them have the eggs 24-26 days, before discarding them.

Since your pair are older, the eggs may not be fertile. If not, and after discarding them, leave the nest box in the cage and try mating the pair again and see if the next clutch would be fertile.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-06-2021 at 03:33 PM.