Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Male stands on female's back but doesn't actually mate

Name
    June
    Thanks

Male stands on female's back but doesn't actually mate

My two budgies are about 2 years old, have started their first clutch and I'm pretty sure the eggs are sterile (I candled after she laid her 4th egg and they are clear). When they mate, the male just stands on her back and feeds her but doesn't actually complete the mating process that I've ever witnessed. Is this common for first timers, and just something they figure out in time? I will pull the nest box and give them a rest once I am sure the eggs are not fertile.

Thanks!
    ~June

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: Male stands on female's back but doesn't actually mate

Hi, and welcome to the community. Yes, the first mating, and egg laying, may not be complete, and yes, this can happen. I suggest you leave the box in the cage and let the hen set with her eggs for about 21-24 days, or until she no longer shows any interest in them and abandons them. Then, I would pull the nest box for a month or so and then put it back in the cage. It will not take too long before the pair are successful. Do not be surprised if the hen lays an egg or eggs, off of her swing, or on the floor. If the egg or eggs do not break, get the box out, and put it in the cage, and put the egg or eggs in the nest box.

Be sure to feed them plenty of cuttlebone and fresh green veggies so the pair will have plenty of calcium so the eggs are hard shelled when she lays them.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-24-2021 at 04:44 PM.

Name
    June
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the community. Yes, the first mating, and egg laying, may not be complete, and yes, this can happen. I suggest you leave the box in the cage and let the hen set with her eggs for about 21-24 days, or until she no longer shows any interest in them and abandons them. Then, I would pull the nest box for a month or so and then put it back in the cage. It will not take too long before the pair are successful. Do not be surprised if the hen lays an egg or eggs, off of her swing, or on the floor. If the egg or eggs do not break, get the box out, and put it in the cage, and put the egg or eggs in the nest box.

Be sure to feed them plenty of cuttlebone and fresh green veggies so the pair will have plenty of calcium so the eggs are hard shelled when she lays them.
    UPDATE! I followed your directions and this happened about 3 months ago Thank you so much!
    (I can't seem to upload a photo but here's the link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/a2R5vAdtEfCdCHhr8)
    Last edited by junko; 10-04-2021 at 12:00 PM.
    ~June

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Ahhh.... Your little babies are adorable. Thank you for posting the link to the picture, it will make me smile all day thinking of your little cuties.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.