Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Parakeet

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Parakeet

I have a parakeet that is about 1 year old. He had a traumatic brain injury and was unable to move for 24 hours. We brought him to the avian vet and she said he had a 50/50 chance of survival. We brought him home and started with a feeding tube. It has been about 6 months and he has almost recovered. His only problem is he canít perch. He can grasp but does not seem to have neck or head balance to perch. He can preen himself while standing, he can turn his head completely around. So he has function. He flaps his wings. I was wondering if there was a possibility he would be completely normal again? And how long can it take for a complete recovery? I love him the way he is but I would love to see him fly again. Iím sure he would too. Thank you for any input.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: Parakeet

Hi, and welcome to the community. What a miracle he is. That is totally amazing. You know, caged birds who are injured, often survive because of the love we show them when we care for them. It is apparent your love for him has saved his life, and I think you have a huge possibility he will completely recover. Please update us often and let us know how he is doing.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Parakeet

Ellen said it perfectly and I have to say what she said was what Boomers vet sort of told me when he was living with some awful issues with his health his last years in his life. Birds really are truly so amazing and our love we show them will keep them happy and wanting to thrive even if they have medical problems that make us "parronts" just want to cry everyday for them. Love is everything to them. I really do hope his brain continues to get better but if not he is a lucky bird to have you there for him to shower him with love. Birds just seem to never get sad even though we feel pain for them knowing they are not able to do everything they use to be able to do because of injury.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.