Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

KMBRL

Male or Female ?

Can someone please tell me how I can tell if my cockatiel is a male or female ? Thanks.

Dark Link Serge

Re: Male or Female ?

.....sure what kind do you have??? if its a grey i can help.
    male grey-bright yellow head and dark orange cheeks
    female grey-mostly grey head exept for some yellow streaks. yellow bars along tail..

hope this helps!!!

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

yep, DLS is right........
    if it is a lutino (all yellow/white) or pied (large patches of yellow/white on grey or cinnamon) then ya can't sex them visualy. otherwise, on normal grey, cinnamon or silver (sorry if i've forgotten something! LOL) the adult males have the bright yellow head, and bright orange cheek patches, and a plain tail. females and young tiels before their first moult have pale 'washed out' yellow head and orange cheek patches, and barred patterned tails. note that even males will look like females until they moult the first time!
    whitefaces are practicly the same except they have a white head and no cheek patches (male =bright, females =dull + patterned tail)
    the pearl mutatoin also might help ya (the same rules apply for the face and tail) the males usualy loose the pearl markings after a few moults, females retain it. i have however heard of a female that also lost the pearlings, so it's not a 100% way of sexing!
    basicly , ya need to know how lod it is (if it's under about 6 months, it'll look female until it moults [first moult at about 6-8 months]). so if you don't know how old your tiel is, wait until it's next moult, and if it changes colour (to male markings) then ya know you have a male tiel at about 6-8 months old, if however the colourings stay them same, you may have had an adult female all along, and there is no way to find out how old it is.
    the other 2 sure ways of sexing: if ya find an egg, ya have a female! LOL. and DNA sexing, which can be done by a vet.

hehe, hope i've told ya what ya wanted to know! LOL! good luck!

FD

KMBRL

Thanks for the information. My cockatiel has a bright colored head and orange cheeks, but also has bars along the tail. I think my bird is fairly young. So I guess I will have to wait untill it moults to find out for sure !

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

ok, so no offence, but i think ya need to find some pics. LOL! you definatly have either a young or female tiel. i just say ya shud look at some pics, coz i was chatting to somone one once, and asked what thei tiel was (male/female) they didn''t know, i told them how to tell, etc etc. anyway, they said it must be male coz it has a bright yellow head and cheek patches (i forgot to mention the bars on the tail ya see!) and i showed them a pic of a male, and a female, and they're like, oh, ok, it's female! LOL!
    IOW, your opinion of bright and mine can be different! LOL! (that took a bit, i could have asid all that in one sentance! LOL!)
    also, what colour is your tiel? (noting that all tiels have the yellow and orange, plus white strip on the wing) grey? or a diff colour?
    here's a link to a pic of a normal grey female (what i call 'dull'!): www.cockatiels.org/mutati...ormal2.jpg
    note that most females have a bit of brighter yellow by the beak, cere and eyes.
    hope we've helped!

FD

KMBRL

That picture definately looks like my bird now. But I'm pretty sure my bird is under 6 months . If it's gonna change it will do it the first time it moults ? Thanks so much for your help !!

Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

that pic was an adult female. young tiels look exactly like adult females......! so you definatly have either a young tiel of unknown sex, or an adult female! and seeing you say you think it's under 6 months, i'd be saying you have a young tiel of unknown sex!! lol! (now ya see why i wanted to get ya too look at a pic, that is what i call 'dull' face markings!!!)
    yep, if it's male, it will change in it's first moult.
    good luck!

FD

SuzyLRah

I am new here so I don't know what I am doing! LOL I have a question about my 2 tiels. I know Wookie is a male because he is singing. Kiwi makes sounds also. Could Kiwi also be a male? Is it possible that 2 males in a cage would keep one of them from singing? Thanks for your help!!!

Thanks

Simply because your bird sings doesn't mean it's male...
    Behavior is not an accurate sexing tool.

My hen sings, whistles, and mimics as well as any male.

How do I know she's a hen? She laid four eggs back in April.

Rommel, my late male, was always a fairly subdued, quiet boy. How did I know he was male? He was a normal grey, and had the bright yellow head/face and bright cheekpatches.

Owl, my current boy, is just discovering his voice, and now won't be quiet!

SuzyLRah

Sorry.........I didn't give you all the info! Wookie is a grey with bright yellow face and red cheeks so he is a male. Kiwi is Lutino and looks like it could be either but I think male because of the bright yellow face and red cheeks. I guess I will find out when Kiwi matures.....To have eggs or not to have eggs! LOL

Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

ummmm, you'll never be able to know what Kiwi is unless he/she lays eggs! ALL lutinos have bright heads, they are impossible to sex by looking at them! oh, and the LACK of eggs is absolutly no way to sex!!!!!! i've only ever had 2 females, and i've NEVER had an egg!!! not all females will lay eggs! having eggs of course will sex it, but not having eggs means nothing. the only way to know for sure is to get a DNA test done by your vet.

FD