Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: How can i tame a cockatiel that bites?

KoRn

How can i tame a cockatiel that bites?

I'm not a person that's new to cockatiels, i have 5. But my problem is a breeding pair i have, a Normal grey cock with a few small pied markings on the back of his head, and a pearled hen. They've already gave me two great birds. But they're not tame, i've been told you can't tame a breeding pair...Is that true? I would really like to tame them..because they're beautiful birds. But i can't even attempt to touch, hold or even try to get them to step up onto my finger without latching hold of a finger and biting hard. I dunno what to do...parents have no idea..what should i do?

Thanks

Re: How can i tame a cockatiel that bites?

Well, first of all welcome to the board

I think it's possible to tame a breeding pair but it might be harder... but with a lot of love an patience I'm sure you can do it.

Of course it would be best if you'd separate them while you try to tame them because you'll be able to get most of their attention. Don't start too fast, since the birds seems kind of wild, it will take a while to tame them, start slow like by sitting next to the cage and talk softly to the bird, one at a time. Then when the bird is ok with you sitting by the cage, try sitting closer and such...

Don't loose hope if you can't see results as fast as you'd like, I'm sure you can do it But keep in mind that it will be a lot easier if you separate the birds... at least I think, hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

~ Taffy and her spoiled little Baby

KoRn

Well....The birds are approachable, they don't seem to mind me coming up to them. I'm not going to chase them around the cage to try and remove them, i don't want to terrify them into hating hands even more than they already do. Their previous owners weren't very caring i guess..and they weren't held at all, or even attempted to be held. The first time i held one is when Clyde escaped while i was cleaning the cage. I had to pick him up to put him back and that's when i got the nasty shock of him biting my finger. ( He doesn't hold back either.. ) I've had these two for at least 2 months and i'm surprised they're still scared to death of hands, even if i'm just feeding them. I'm wondering if the owners that had them before me mistreated them a bit. Or at least Clyde, he looks pretty enough for someone to be tempted to reach in and chase him around to be held. The people i got the pair from were my older brothers friends...heh...might be the reason the birds are scared of people in the first place...Well..about the seperating..i guess i'll have to hold the taming till i get a cage, i don't have an extra at the moment, and without a job, i'm outta luck, but as soon as i get another cage, i'll seperate them, i hope keeping them in the same room will help with the sudden change, it's cute to watch them preen each other and sit side by side on their perch, they just look so happy.
    -KoRn-

Thanks

I guess you can put them back togeter after they are tame or something... but it would really help the taming process to separate them, also I don't want to sound negative or anything but it might take months... even years before they actually allow you to handle them and they might never be cuddly birds either... but at least they won't try to bite your head off!!

~ Taffy and her spoiled little Baby

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Vicky
    Thanks

I'm taming Speckles slowly, she hardly ever bites now, althugh she's still very timid. Try wearing gloves, she didn't like the taste of those, after biting them a few times, she stopped biting unless she was hurt. Out of breeding season, if you've got a flight like me, put them out, and give the other birds treats. They'll get curious eventually, and come over for a nibble, it might take days, or maybe weeks, it depends with each bird. Speckles is behaving hreself now (not a bit like her mother, lol) and she'll take cheerios off me, althugh, I'm not allowed to stroke her. It's a slow process, but with lots of love and care, you'll eventually tame them Good luck!

Vicky
    -= =-

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

time time time! keep in mind that adult, untame tiels can take YEARS to tame down......! like taffy said, and they may still never be really freindly cuddly birds....
    one thing though, you don't HAVE to seperate them, but once they have got to the stage of being let out of the cage, just take out one at a time.....
    though it wouls also work totaly seperated. just thought that don't put off taming just coz of the lack of another cage. try removing their food for an hour or so (so they're a bit hungry) and (you gotta have some time free for this!) get some millet spray (or another fav treat) and just sit holding it for them. you can try with your hand in the cage, or you can try just having your hand out of the cage at first. you'll likely have to wait for ages, and maybe even give up and try again tomorrow. but eventualy (hopefully! this is coming off the top of my head here!) they'll get curious ehough and hungry enough to nibble.
    really it's a matter of gaining their trust. which WILL take time, and patience!
    best of luck, and don't give up! it IS possible, just hard!

FD