Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: some questions about my new cockatiel

iardalic

some questions about my new cockatiel

First sorry about my English but i am from Yugoslavia so i don't speak English very well. I bought my cockatiel three weeks ago and his name is Gandalf (by famous conjurer Gandalf from Lord Of The Rings). He is one year old and i don't know how he was breed. I managed to learn him to eat from my hand and he also wants to stand on my hand. He is also eating from his bowl and he eats vegetables. He likes to play with his mirror and likes to sing all day long so i am worried is that ok? He is never alone and i let him out of the cage every second day. I have some problems to get him in cage again so if anyone can help me with i would be greatfull. i would love to hear some advices to how to train him more beacause i can't teach him to come to my shoulder or hand when he is out of the cage. Also every advice about taking care my cockatiel, about getting him more comfortable and how to make him more happy will be welcome. Thanks and lots of regards from Belgrade, Yugoslavia.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: some questions about my new cockatiel

Is he clipped (ouside wing feathers cut off)? Have your veteranarian show you how to clip him, and this will help you tame him. He will be forced to depend on you to move him around- it will also help to get him back into his cage.
    You can let him out several times every day if you want; most birds are let out at least two times a day. The more you work with him, the tamer he will become.
    As long as he is not aggressive toward his mirror, that is fine . It is wonderful that he eats fruits and vegtables, continue with this! DO NOT feed onions or avacadoes.
    All birds sing all day That means he is happy and content.

If I need to explain further, let me know.
    Read the posts in the diffrent forums; many of them will be able to help you.

iardalic

Thanks

Thank you 4 you help. I have some more questions. What kind of fruit can i give him( which one is best)?
    And what does cllipped and tame means ( i don't know english so good sorry). Also should i put him in my room (because when i learn for my college i am spending most of my time there) or should i put him on terase( where he have more air and sun)? Should I cover his cage at night?

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: Thanks

Most birds are individual as to what kind of fruit they like best- go ahead and try anything and everything! A varied diet, a diet with many different foods, is best.

Clipped means "to cut off the primary wing feathers to prohibit flight"
    Try this link; it has good pictures:
    exoticpetvet.net/avian/clip.html
    Clipping does NOT hurt- it is like cutting off fingernails. The feathers will grow back with the next moult (when allf eathers fall out and are replaced).

Well, the defination of tame is
    "To make tractable; domesticate."
    "To subdue or curb. "
    "Brought from wildness into a domesticated or tractable state"
    "domesticated"
    On the board it is used in this sense "a bird who acts calm around humans and willlingly interacts with them."

Where you will be the most is usually the best place for the bird, so if you are usually in your bedroom/dormroom, that is probably the best place.

Covering the cage is optional.

You may want to purchase an English-> your language dictionary to help you . I looked for an online one, but cannot find a translator.
    What language are you speaking there?

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: some questions about my new cockatiel

welcome iardalic! you don't need to apoligise for not knowing words, we're here t help and are happy to answer your questions, no matter how silly you might think they are! ya don't learn unless you ask questions!
    yep, clipping wings means to cut some of the feathers on their wings, it makes it so they can still fly a little, but they cannot fly up, and not fly away. so they will learn that when you go up to it, they cannot get away, and if you are nice, he will learn that he has to get back onto your hand! find a vet or someone who knows how to clip wings to show you how. having his wings clipped will help train him to come to you when he is outside his cage.
    it might be a good idea to take out the mirror. cockatiels don't know that their refletin is only them, they think it's another bird! and so he's singing the the 'other bird' it will help him to learn to like you if you take out the mirror. at the moment he probably thinks the reflection is his mate, and sometimes they can get very mad when the reflection doesn't act like another bird! so it would be better to take it out. he may be a bit grumpy when you take it out, but that's ok, he will be ok after a few days!
    to tame him basicly means to make freinds with him! so that he won't be scared of you, and run or fly away when you try to get him onto your hand.

if you ever have any questions, don't be scared to ask, we're here to help! and do try to read the home page and other posts, as they will help too!

FD