Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Strange behaviour - appears territorially based

Lisa Oldfield

Strange behaviour - appears territorially based

Hi, I'd really appreciate your learned advice on this.

Our cockatiel, Audie (16 months old, pearl lutino, understood to be male) in the last week has started sitting in one corner of the bottom of his cage doing the following; squatting and rocking from side to side with wings slightly out from body, giving him a broad appearance - when anyone approaches his cage he hisses and lunges while also making other seemingly aggressive noises.

Audie has a much closer relationship with my husband than Audie has with me and this is particularly noticeable when he exhibits the behaviour described above - he will actually run from his chosen corner, across the floor of his cage and lunge at me in a VERY aggressive, biting kind of attack - my husband, however, can put his hand in the cage and stroke Audie's head - if my husband pulls his hand out and I try exactly the same thing, the bird goes after me. It doesn't matter how many times we repeat this, exactly the same thing happens each time - he sure can tell the difference between the two of us.

The other funny thing is that when my husband puts his hand in, Audie initially looks like he will do as he does to me, but then quite happily lets my husband touch him wherever he likes without any attempt to bite him or get away.

Audie has free reign of the house and usually likes flying about our rooting around the carpet or climbing the lounges. Of late, he prefers to spend much of his time in his cage or sitting on top of his cage.

Is there some explanation for this behaviour and is it somehow all linked ?

Thanks and best regards,

Lisa Oldfield.

Thanks

Re: Strange behaviour - appears territorially based

I can explain it with one word: Hormones.

they'll go through it a couple times per year for the rest of their lives.

Cockatiels also don't 'mate for life' so to speak, they'll change favorite people without warning sometimes; some do it more frequently than others.

Lisa Oldfield

So he isn't about to lay an egg ? I had begun to suspect that Audie was actually an Audrey !

Thanks

the behavior you're describing sounds more like a male behavior.

Females will generally stick their tails up in the air and make soft cheeping noises.

However, my female(she's laid eggs, so I KNOW she's female ) does both...my female is also very vocal and quite the mimic.

Lisa Oldfield

Strange behaviour - appears territorially based

He does flick his tail up as well and makes a cooing sound (but he always does that)

I don't know a nicer way to put this, and forgive me if it sound gross. He appears to "pleasure himself" by rubbing his vent against a large candle holder.

This has been occurring more frequently. Is this behaviour indicative of him being male of female ?

Thanks

Depends on how the bird is doing it.

Is it backing up against things to rub against them? If so, that's the way a female *ahem* pleasures themselves

If they're trying to mount something or going at it 'head on'(like facing whatever they're rubbing against) that's the way males do it.

Lisa Oldfield

Re: Strange Behaviuor - appears territorially based

Thanks Necroangel !

I have suspected for some while that Audie is a girl -doesn't talk, quite small and (up until recently) very sweet natured (never bites)

If she is a girl, when can we expect her to lay eggs ?

Thanks

Not all hens are small.

Panzer's a big, fat, huge hen.

Rommel was small, slim male.

There's really no predictor of egg laying; some hens lay like clockwork, some hens lay excessively, and some hens rarely(if ever) lay at all.

Some hens lay without exhibiting hormonal behavior, some hens ALWAYS get 'moody' before they lay.

Panzer's mood didn't change at all when she was laying. She'd be acting like her normal self, and out of nowhere she'd squat like she was going to poop and an egg would come falling out.

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

That is really cute - my female cockatiel is one of those that never lay eggs. I've had her for a couple of years now, and she has never laid any.